Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:50   #91
Senior - BHPian

@GreaseMonk-I am quite sure it's the same ECU apart from different program/mapping. I have tried to ask RE regarding the possibilities of getting my ECU re-flashed. Highly unlikely they will agree or if they do then may be they will not cover warranty. I'll save a lot of they can re-flash my ECU. But I don't know if the ECU comes to RE pre-programed from the supplier if thats the case then RE wont be able to help me.

Ron had a small glitch, I don't think he has the Indian UCE workshop manual as yet so few things might not be clear to him. I am sure he will work it out.

@SamtheLeo- Hey thank's for the appreciation. By the way can you tell me one thing, did you ever felt your pickup was better then other 535s owner? I am not going to loose hope for finding a reason for the noise but might take a while before I get to the cause of it.

@Spitfire-It's interesting thing you mentioned about the Choke. I don't think it will be of a big hurdle. It's actually works in a different way to chokes we know off(may be my Knowledge is limited). On using the choke on C5, it opens a extra ventricle on the Throttle body. Resulting in more air going and increasing the air pressure inside the intake. Which is sussed by the AMS/APS, sending the increased values to ECU which increases the fuel ratio. Choke is manual anyway so probably the ECU is quite simple to deal with. But I don't have a clue if the export model has a choke or not. If it does not then things won't be easy.

Last edited by Randhawa : 2nd February 2010 at 19:00.
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:13   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I am trying to find out the cost of export model ECU, if its not to expensive then I'll go for it.

For short term solution, there are none insight. It does not have a air temp sensor but a engine oil temp sensor. On the intake manifold it has a TPS and Air pressure sensor. So not much of hope playing around with them.
hmm....if the ECU does not know that ambient temp is cold then how come this is happening only in northern winters.

Another solution is to set the FPR till the mixture is more lean. But you needs to run plugs chops to make sure you done lean it too much. Sort of like Jetting a carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This is an assumption or you know for sure?.
Its an educated guess + based upon info provided by Randhwa.

EDIT: Hey where have I heard that comment before?

Last edited by Mpower : 2nd February 2010 at 22:51.
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:25   #93
Senior - BHPian

I guess it's taking the temp readings from the engine oil temp sensor.

You mean FPR(fuel pressure regulator)? It doesn't have one if thats what you meant. Only if I can find one to cater the needs of the tiny Fuel pump then it will work wonder's. Brilliant idea, nice one.

It would a very easy way to increase power on C5.
Old 2nd February 2010, 21:07   #94
BANNED

Quote:
But I don't have a clue if the export model has a choke or not. If it does not then things won't be easy.
The export model too came with a choke. Read it in one of the reviews. The link is present on the Bullet Classic Launch Thread somewhere.
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:50   #95
Senior - BHPian

An EFI system with no IAT, no FPR, no Lambda O2 sensor, no CAT and no auto-choke. Better to stick to carbs itself methinks !! & how much are they charging for this thing...what a bunch of cheapos !

Quote:
You mean FPR(fuel pressure regulator)? It doesn't have one if thats what you meant. Only if I can find one to cater the needs of the tiny Fuel pump then it will work wonder's. Brilliant idea, nice one..
You can install one. Find out what pressure it runs and set it a little lower. Use one from Nano or M800 ...should be close. Or if you want non-automotove then there may be other options.

Pls double check reg air temp sensor. its usually mounted close to the air filter. It could be integrated with the MAP sensor in which case you are out of luck as far as relocating it. I guess you can route hot air from the engine fins back into the intake. Engine oil temp ..once warmed up ...not much difference between Kashmir and Kakinada.

Last edited by Mpower : 2nd February 2010 at 23:11.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

@spitfire-Thanks confirmed it, they do have it.

@Mpower- Just a carb and so much potential(lovely jubly bigger pilot & main jets) only if we had it on C5 Shame that is really. Only one good thing EFI has over carb is the maintenance part which isn't a big deal either. Rest all expensive bits of no potential to us. RE likes to short change us but considering what people are paying for C5 outside India, makes me feel a bit better.

It runs 295Kpa which is roughly 43psi. Correct me if I am wrong, usually FPR is fitted on a fuel system with a fuel return pipe right. On C5 it has only one output and nothing going back in. So the FPR is either inbuilt or pump itself controls the pressure(is it possible?). Had a look around for FPR and they are way too expensive, not worth the hassle. Ones on maruti or nano would be fixed rate FPR so hard to adapt.

Nope, it has no other sensor any where else for temp readings. Not sure if its integrated into MAP either. Will ask the RE Engineer though. I get black smoke for only a min or so on accelerating when engine is cold. After that it stops so by the time engine heats up, it wont be running rich.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@spitfire-Thanks confirmed it, they do have it.

@Mpower- Just a carb and so much potential(lovely jubly bigger pilot & main jets) only if we had it on C5 Shame that is really. Only one good thing EFI has over carb is the maintenance part which isn't a big deal either. Rest all expensive bits of no potential to us. RE likes to short change us but considering what people are paying for C5 outside India, makes me feel a bit better.

It runs 295Kpa which is roughly 43psi. Correct me if I am wrong, usually FPR is fitted on a fuel system with a fuel return pipe right. On C5 it has only one output and nothing going back in. So the FPR is either inbuilt or pump itself controls the pressure(is it possible?). Had a look around for FPR and they are way too expensive, not worth the hassle. Ones on maruti or nano would be fixed rate FPR so hard to adapt.

Nope, it has no other sensor any where else for temp readings. Not sure if its integrated into MAP either. Will ask the RE Engineer though. I get black smoke for only a min or so on accelerating when engine is cold. After that it stops so by the time engine heats up, it wont be running rich.
Yes 40 psi is what most EFI systems run. Most new ones are 'returnless fuel systems'. FPR if it exists is either integrated with the pump or on the injector.

Ya I agree, messing with it is not worth it. You will run excessively lean after you warm up which is more harmful than rich.
You can try holding a hair dryer at the intake and then start it and watch the smoke. If the rich fuelling is time based (ie run rich for the first 5 mins) then it wont make any difference and if its temp based the black smoke should stop.

If you looked at the old Maruti 1000 carb(maybe old gypsy1000 as well)
there used to be a lever in front of the engine that said (summer/winter). in the winter position, the air would be routed through the exhaust manifold so that it warms up before it enters the engine.

Anyways, as long as you dont do too many short trips you'll be OK otherwise expect lots of carbon buildup in the exhaust.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd February 2010 at 01:28.
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:54   #98
BHPian

@ Randhawa : I never tested it against any other 535s as there were only 2 in my home town (Agra) & other one i only spotted once then. However one thing was for sure, as it was carb / Choke model & kick start. in winters a very good battery was required to start it in one kick else there has to be multiple kicks & my friends use to envy my legs :P

If it helps.
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:59   #99
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures of Anastassia, I hope you like it
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-03022010375.jpg The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-03022010374.jpg
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-03022010366.jpg

In this picture below, observe carefully and tell me whats wrong with the bike. It's been a bone of contention for me lately resulting in physical pain(no its not the seat). It's a flaw in design which has been carried over by the DNA. There are not many people who understand the right cause and they advice you some not so technical solution's. RE has been informed and they are supposedly doing R&D to find out what it is. I have done my R&D and worked out few ways to rectify the problem. Will post once I am successful with my design.

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-03022010377.jpg

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-03022010363.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-03022010376.jpg  

Last edited by Randhawa : 3rd February 2010 at 15:11.
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:38   #100
BHPian

^ foot peg -gear shifter position / Lh peg wider ??
reg pics i somehow feel the Classic is too cute to be on such rough terrain. may be it suits roads/ pavements., oh the city backdrop better.

Last edited by Rennjit : 3rd February 2010 at 16:42. Reason: ;-)
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:10   #101
BHPian

@Randhawa nice pictures.
I am not sure, I assume you are experiencing riding uncomfort. Are you talking about improper frame design or something ? One thing which I felt uncomfortable on the first day is the handle bar which is too much forward inclined. I tilted it backward such that it is more closer and I don't have to put any body weight on it and I did a 5 days- 2000 kms Kerala tour without back,neck pain(with butt burns).
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:20   #102
Senior - BHPian

@Renjit- Nope its none of it. Sun was too bright and I did not had my DSLR so had to use my N95. May be next time I'll use a different background.

@ReCL350- Handle is uncomfortable for long rides but my issue is not that. A little bit to do with frame but not frame itself so keep guessing.
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:03   #103
BHPian

You say it has been carried with the DNA. That means other RE bikes would have the same problem ?
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:18   #104
BHPian

Does it have something to do with the engine being a stressed member of the frame? Vibes from engine = vibes in frame = discomfort?
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

@Shashank.A- Yup but on some bikes it occurs after a prolonged period and on some it comes to early like mine.

@greasemonk-nope

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks