Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 19:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Looks like sprag clutch issue haunts the UCE too! Maybe they included it as a feature
Old 26th January 2010, 20:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Jale me namak mat lageo yarr Yes indeed it haunts us all UCE owners.
Old 26th January 2010, 20:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Not rubbing in buddy, but i was surprised to read that UCE too had the sprag clutch issue. I thought they must've sorted out the known gremlins when they came out with the UCE. AVL500s had the sprag clutch problem, i wasn't expecting this in UCE.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

I have heard about few TBTS who had the problem with the sprag and none in the CL5 so far, I am the chosen one I guess. Functionality of the sprag (no starting issues) is intact which usually was the problem on AVL's but noise from the bearing of the sprag is unheard off.

In my case I think could be due to the small chain tensioner which broke on mine and lead to the damage of chain and the sprag.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Randhawa,

You're not the first to experience a blown sprag on CL500s too. Sprags making noise and blowing up are a issue from a long time on the AVLs and sometimes even on the CI500s too. That's why i replaced a single gear on my ES and made it dormant. Lest it gie up on me at remote places. But the ES is a good thing to have on the CL500. Backfires from the 500cc engine is the primary factor that frags the sprags out.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 26th January 2010, 21:16   #36
BHPian

@ Randhawa, you seem to really test out RE's reliability claims for Classic.
i remember you stating some issue with auto de-compressor, checked- was it ok ? Its supposed to ease load to a good extent & help sprag's life., & may be so your bearing didn't go bust all of a sudden.

Last edited by Rennjit : 26th January 2010 at 21:23. Reason: ?
Old 26th January 2010, 21:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

I haven't got it checked yet as I am still waiting for the parts for de-comp. I do not want to open up stuff and if something is wrong then wait for whole week for the parts.

But I feel now, de-comp is not to be blamed. I have a engine noise which I suspected earlier to do with de-comp and now it's more like be Piston pin noise(play between the pin and piston).

Will get it checked next month although here is the link to the offending noise(knock) you can hear it on acceleration.

4shared.com - music and mp3 sharing - download Sound clip 13.wav

@JayPrashanth- Thats a relief to know I am not the only one. So with the single gear, your ES is no more?

Last edited by Randhawa : 26th January 2010 at 21:45.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
@ Randhawa, you seem to really test out RE's reliability claims for Classic.
i remember you stating some issue with auto de-compressor, checked- was it ok ? Its supposed to ease load to a good extent & help sprag's life., & may be so your bearing didn't go bust all of a sudden.
Yeah, as Rennjit says, if your decomp goes for a toss, the sprag bearing will automatically bear the brunt of the engine's kickback. Don't fret, you have REs warranty. Make sure that all the parts which might have borne the impact are changed. Make best use of the opportunity. Try to go to the service station when the work is carried out. I sincerely hope that all your issues get solved at the earliest.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 26th January 2010, 22:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Mechanic at the workshop did advised me to get rid of the auto de-comp. I am not sure if its a good idea. Its going to put some load on the ES and possibly leak some compression from the gasket later on. Also a big pain to start with the kick.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Mechanic at the workshop did advised me to get rid of the auto de-comp. I am not sure if its a good idea. Its going to put some load on the ES and possibly leak some compression from the gasket later on. Also a big pain to start with the kick.
Though I haven't seen the system, I have heard more than one person say that the system isn't refined enough to work well for long in it's current state. And these people are who work on the system everyday. So, I trust their judgment. Doing away with the system completely might not be a great idea but doing away with the electric starter could be a good idea if the issue persists.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 26th January 2010, 22:24   #41
BHPian

OMG.. Sprag clutch issues.!!!
a friend of mine plonked out the entire spragg clutch assembly from his LB500 after it gave him umpteen problems .the bike had not even completed 10k kms
Now he happily kick starts
Old 26th January 2010, 22:26   #42
BHPian

I'm starting to wonder what the international C-5 owners have in store for them without the kickstarter.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
OMG.. Sprag clutch issues.!!!
a friend of mine plonked out the entire spragg clutch assembly from his LB500 after it gave him umpteen problems .the bike had not even completed 10k kms
Now he happily kick starts
I did too. But before my sprag said goodbye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
I'm starting to wonder what the international C-5 owners have in store for them without the kickstarter.
International C5 owners are looking at possibilities of retrofitting the kick starters. The US importer is working on a solution for them.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 27th January 2010, 20:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ok lads got it sorted today. Culprit was the loose chain pad bolt. Bolt got loose, pad shifted outwards and the tensioner went straight to the chain. Chain made a groove on the tensioner but that wont be a problem now. Got the sprag changed and now it's back to all smiles for now.
Old 27th January 2010, 22:35   #45
BHPian

^ means noise was from tensioner-chain rubbing or rather grating? if so why change sprag . good that is back

Last edited by Rennjit : 27th January 2010 at 22:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks