Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 22:29   #991
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Hi
Thank you EssYouWee, virtualhemant, adityaj for your advice. Today i had called the REB showroom and asked them whether i could testdrive both TB and CL today and they were happy to arrange it. Unfortunately i could not make it as i was detained by my work. Anyway called them and asked them whether i could make it tomorrow and they had no problem with that.
My friends who have been riding bullet literally pale when i tell them i am considering TB. Anyway will testdrive both tomorrow and will get back to you guys.
Old 10th December 2010, 23:53   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Rahul. Thing is that if any part of the noise was to be taken seriously then I would have told you. I mean if it made any unusual noise or you had a reliability/performance issue then again I would have explained it to you.

UCE engine valve terrain does makes noise and it will quieten down after 5-7k. I give you my assurance on that but cant help you now. You will have to learn to ignore it for now. Wear a helmet at all times and it will resolve all the valve terrain related noises.

I have explained you why and from where these noises comes but unless you can find someone who can blue print the valve terrain, you will have to ride till 5-7k to let it sort it out itself.

It falls on your ear because you are focussing on it and trying to find something unusual or new noise which you yet cannot relate to each and every part of the valve terrain. But I have gone through this phase and it took me a while to calm down so I can understand your plight.

Just control yarr
@Randhawa: Control nahi hota yaar.....anyways...about the rear wheel noise...you said there could be tight spots...but the chain is so loose that it keeps hitting the chain cover.So even if a tight spot exist...it should not be tighter than before because the mechanic slackened the chain. So the noise should have gone. Thats why i think its not a chain issue.Also right now the chain is as loose as it can get...so even if it is a tight spot making the noise then i wont be able to lose the chain any further. Please do comment bro.
Old 11th December 2010, 00:50   #993
Senior - BHPian

@Nasir-Nope it's not the tight spot thing in your case. Basically its the chain itself and its normal. Chains with O-ring are a bit stiffer then simple chains. In the life time of the 0-ring chain, we clean it less and lubricate it more. What happens is the o-rings get to much lubricated and attract lot of dirt. So the rings get a bit stiff and hampers the flexibility of the chain which cause resistance for free rotation of the chain over the sprocket.

Clean the chain properly with diesel and fix it back on. You will see what I mean.

@Rahul- With your rear noise issue. Best bet is to take the chain off completely and then observe if the rear wheel can reproduce the same noise. If not then you know your answer lies in the chain. It's either mis-allignment of the rear wheel(spline settings on each side) or simply a tight spot.

If the wheel alignment does not helps then try cleaning the chain with diesel/kerosene and fix it back on. If still no improvement then you are better of changing the chain itself otherwise it will wear out your rear sprocket a bit fast. Its 102 link chain.

Last edited by Randhawa : 11th December 2010 at 00:51.
Old 11th December 2010, 11:59   #994
BHPian

Quote:
@Nasir-Nope it's not the tight spot thing in your case. Basically its the chain itself and its normal. Chains with O-ring are a bit stiffer then simple chains. In the life time of the 0-ring chain, we clean it less and lubricate it more. What happens is the o-rings get to much lubricated and attract lot of dirt. So the rings get a bit stiff and hampers the flexibility of the chain which cause resistance for free rotation of the chain over the sprocket.

Clean the chain properly with diesel and fix it back on. You will see what I mean.

@Rahul- With your rear noise issue. Best bet is to take the chain off completely and then observe if the rear wheel can reproduce the same noise. If not then you know your answer lies in the chain. It's either mis-allignment of the rear wheel(spline settings on each side) or simply a tight spot.

If the wheel alignment does not helps then try cleaning the chain with diesel/kerosene and fix it back on. If still no improvement then you are better of changing the chain itself otherwise it will wear out your rear sprocket a bit fast. Its 102 link chain.
@Randhawa: I was thinking of removing the chain and checking out. Will do that and get back to you.Thanks man...
Old 12th December 2010, 00:42   #995
BHPian

How is a used 2009 Machismo AVL 500 Lean Burn for 1.1 lakhs or should I wait and get a Cl5?

Spec wise CL5 is more powerfull with better average than a AVL 500 LB

Please suggest

Amar
Old 12th December 2010, 14:38   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
How is a used 2009 Machismo AVL 500 Lean Burn for 1.1 lakhs or should I wait and get a Cl5?

Spec wise CL5 is more powerfull with better average than a AVL 500 LB

Please suggest

Amar
Would depend entirely on your usage. If it would be mostly used for serious touring in remote areas, such as Ladakh, Twang etc. The older bullet has better possibilities of repairs and spares.....however for leisure riding the classic is better suited. The older bullet can also be upgraded with performance parts more easily than the new UCE 500.

That said, the Classic is the more modern, smooth and frugal of the two mills.

Last edited by bradhey : 12th December 2010 at 14:40.
Old 12th December 2010, 14:45   #997
BHPian

@Randhawa and other Gurus

How do I remove the chain of UCE ? I mean I can take out the chain lock using a nose plier and pull out the chain, but is it possible to fit it back without removing the Right side engine cover - for fitting on to the primary sprocket ? And removing right side cover means removing engine oil, gasket etc ?

Regards
San
Old 12th December 2010, 17:16   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
@Randhawa and other Gurus

How do I remove the chain of UCE ? I
Hi STNair,

It is done very easily by attaching another chain to your original one using chain lock. Then you roll the older chain in place (it will easily fall in its place on the sprockets). Then you undo the lock and clean and lube the original chain, keeping the old chain undisturbed.

Attach both again and remove the older chain by unlocking it and replace your chain lock on the original one. Hope this helps.

I learned this from my mechanic, after committing the mistake of getting my chain stuck between the front sprocket and the primary cover on my Electra 350. That required the entire clutch assembly and primary cover to be taken off, from the bike.
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2010, 18:48   #999
BHPian

@bradhey

Thanks. That makes sense.

regards
san
Old 12th December 2010, 20:04   #1000
Senior - BHPian

I do it without any xtra chain attached. It's quite easy on our C5.
Old 12th December 2010, 23:05   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah?
So can you enlighten us as to how to do it?
A lot of harassed UCE owners would be grateful to you!
Old 13th December 2010, 06:32   #1002
BHPian

Hi
Went to the REB showroom in Besant Nagar on saturday. Its a company owned showroom. I was not aware of the fact that you can take the REB to test for a day during the weekends and for 2 hours during the weekdays. Anyway the classic if booked till the next month and the spare vehicle has already gone out. I test drove TB and REB standard. I felt that the TB's tank and handles are not matched to my liking and leaves a lot to be desired but the riding comfort was great. My wife who drove with me said she felt more comfortable in TB and liked it. The REB standard was just right in everyway. I felt its better than the TB. But my wife was not very much impressed. The ever courteous executive told me that TB is much suited for longer rides compared to the REB standard or the CL500. If i am planning on long rides in CL500 than i would have to consider the rehauling the seating arrangement. Any will test drive it tomorrow and then decide.
Cheers
Old 13th December 2010, 10:56   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Holy Guru, kindly enlighten the humble earthlings
Old 13th December 2010, 14:28   #1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
A lot of hardcore Royal enfield veterans do not consider the Thunderbird a true-blood Enfield. They may be right from their point of view. Its a free world and we all have rights to like / dislike a bike.

However, the Thunderbird has a large role to play in what Royal Enfield is today. If not for Thunderbird, there would have been NO Classic 500.

In the late 90s, Royal Enfield, as a company was almost about to shut down, as they were not doing well. Thats when someone (i think S. Lal), thought of resurrecting the company, hired an industrial design from IDC, and briefed his team to design a bike with modern-looks keeping the tooling investments as low as possible. More like a cosmetic change. The outcome of this exercise was Thunderbird.
TB uses majority of the parts from the previous RE models such as standard and electra, and with some modifications such as the tank, the front headlamp and console assembly, handlebar, etc it is what it is. In principle, the main frame, the tyres, the engine remains the same as any old bull.

Before the Thunderbird, RE/bullet as a brand was NOT associated with the younger generation. Thunderbird broke that image and was instant hit. The sales started to rise, and so did the profits.

So lets give some credit to the TB.

As for the comfort, in general, majority of the people find it to be more comfortable to cruise on a Thunderbird then on other 350cc RE models, when on highway. Some exceptions are always there.

Lookswise, some might swear-by it, some find it to be trash. toeach, his own.

Initially, i use to like the looks of the bike, but now i dont like it.

@Nasir: Now, this is my first reason to like a TB
What you said is very true.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:03   #1005
Senior - BHPian

@KA18@Stnair

The way I do it is by engaging in first gear with engine off, use your fingers to just slide the chain on first two notches of the front sprocket. Once you feel the link of the chain is hooked on to the sprocket then gently use the kick to rotate the chain over the sprocket, once you see the chain drop just near the kick shaft then disengage the gear and pull the chain through. Thats all. You might find it a bit tricky but it's really easy once you get the hang of it.

Reason I use the first gear is because the chain is quite heavy and when the front sprocket is spinning free, the chain drops off the sprocket. So in gear in keeps it from sliding backward.

Dont even make the mistake of pulling off the Rh side engine cover.

Last edited by Randhawa : 13th December 2010 at 22:10.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks