Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 00:51   #4006
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hi Friends!!

Planning to change the air filter on my DS 500. The stock air filter gets clogged up every 2 months, thanks to the dusty roads around. Any suggestions between K&n and BMC?

-Cheers
Saurabh
Old 16th September 2017, 07:42   #4007
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I will like to retrofit the new swing arm and disk brake combination to my 2011 model classic 500 chrome. Any idea if this will be possible?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th September 2017, 09:35   #4008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post
Hi Friends!!

Planning to change the air filter on my DS 500. The stock air filter gets clogged up every 2 months, thanks to the dusty roads around. Any suggestions between K&n and BMC?

-Cheers
Saurabh
If your stock filter gets clogged up every 2 months then going for either of the above filters will make you clean it every 2 weeks. If you are fine by that then go for K&N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Hi Friends,

I will like to retrofit the new swing arm and disk brake combination to my 2011 model classic 500 chrome. Any idea if this will be possible?

Thanks in advance.
If you ask your local RE mechanic then he will tell you more accurately. I am not 100% sure but it's doable as I have seen it done on a older one. But some welding might be required for placing the master cylinder. Have a look at the new C500 and see how the master cylinder and reservoir is placed. Also take the cost factor as the conversion is not going to be cheap.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st November 2017 at 11:49. Reason: Please use bold font selectively
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 10:26   #4009
BHPian

So my CL500 has started eating engine oil. The service centre guys have recommended that I change the piston kit.

I was wondering if it is possible to fit the Continental GT's piston kit? Would that require extensive work? Or would it be similar to fitting the 500's piston kit?

Thanks!
Old 1st November 2017, 11:58   #4010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
So my CL500 has started eating engine oil. The service centre guys have recommended that I change the piston kit.

I was wondering if it is possible to fit the Continental GT's piston kit? Would that require extensive work? Or would it be similar to fitting the 500's piston kit?

Thanks!
Yes you can but you have to get two new intake valves which are bigger in size and get some head work done to get them fitted.
Old 1st November 2017, 12:41   #4011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Yes you can but you have to get two new intake valves which are bigger in size and get some head work done to get them fitted.
Is the crankshaft same for both the GT and the 500? I guess one will have to go through a complete half engine replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Hi Friends,

Thanks in advance.
Couple of stuff I guess you would need replacement/purchase-
1- A new swing arm
2- Swing arm Bush
3- Rear disc brake kit
4- A new hub (you can retain the spokes and rim)
5- Rear brake lever
These are somethings that came in my mind as of now. It sure would be an expensive mod.
@mods- Kindly club the two posts, apologies for the inconvenience

Last edited by theMAG : 1st November 2017 at 23:37. Reason: Back-back posts < 20 mins. Please EDIT moving forward.
Old 1st November 2017, 14:27   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Is the crankshaft same for both the GT and the 500? I guess one will have to go through a complete half engine replacement.
I had mentioned all the parts required for GT conversion a long way back so vaguely remember now. Do a search and you will find the post.

Yes, the crankshaft is same as 500 and so are the cams.

You require is intake valves as they are larger in did by 1 or 2mm and the piston barrel kit. You can either get the head re-worked for larger valves or get a new GT head.

I think you need the throttle body and injector also along with Gt remap.

@cataclysm Forgot to mention, you can use the 500 barrel also and all you would require is a rebore. But to get the benefits of a bigger piston, you would need the parts as mentioned above.

Last edited by Randhawa : 1st November 2017 at 14:34.
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 16:07   #4013
BHPian

Royal Enfield 500x
Is it something new or a mod-job ?

p.s. I couldn't find an appropriate thread, moderators please move this to another thread if irrelevant.

source
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-fb_img_1514111616343.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-fb_img_1514111621172.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-fb_img_1514111613552.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-fb_img_1514111618545.jpg  

manaljain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 17:21   #4014
BHPian

Royal Enfield gets Tubeless Tyres, and Alloys.
Meet Thunderbird 500X.

Supposedly it will be a new launch, with new handlebar, new seating, alloys and a matte black finish on the engine, suspension, exhaust, etc. Aimed at a younger crowd of buyers, it will be offered in funky colour options like Blue, Yellow, Red, White.

Launch is scheduled to take place next month, post which deliveries will commence.

p.s. moderators please merge it with the post and pictures above

source

Last edited by manaljain : 24th December 2017 at 17:27.
manaljain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 18:53   #4015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Valve size certainly would be irrelevant as far as it concerns the basic adaptability of the 535 cylinder to the 500 cases. Gas flow could be a little different with smaller valves and likely would yield a shade less top-end power vs. the Conti GT, but valves are definitely not something that would be required to have done. The extra cc's themselves are going to give several percent power increase.

I know that on the CI's the 500/535 cylinders were completely interchangeable, and Hitchcock's makes a 535 piston for the AVL that can be installed in a bored-out 500 cylinder, they also offer the complete kit. I'm pretty sure they make the kit for the UCE's too. We're not talking about an awful lot of bore increase here, I wouldn't expect fitment issues at all. And besides the 35cc, the higher compression ratio created also helps in terms of power.

-Eric
Old 25th January 2018, 19:07   #4016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
Royal Enfield 500x
Is it something new or a mod-job ?source
It's just not doing it for me... I think RE has managed to successfully remove every single component that had anything to do with me finally coming to appreciate the Bullet for its rather steadfast timelessness. The Thunderbird had stirred things up a bit, changed things, which is fine - it at least had created its own sort of unique, cruiser-oriented theme.

But here? What are we looking at? A Bullet-like shape with all the traditional Bullet elements removed: The toolboxes, the cast-alloy headlight / fork leg / meter mount, the divorced gearbox, the flattish seat and tank, the wire wheels... and the chain and silencer on opposite sides (as it seems they should be, balance and service-wise)... all gone, yet nothing really interesting introduced to replace them.

Ah... it's got all the same stuff that all the 150cc class has now... Alloys and rear disc brake. I see.

It's looking pretty fairly like a bread-and-butter 1970's Japanese budget bike to me.

My apologies to those many who must feel otherwise. It very well may prove satisfying to ride.

-Eric
Old 31st January 2018, 22:43   #4017
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
Royal Enfield gets Tubeless Tyres, and Alloys.
Meet Thunderbird 500X.

source
I sure hope the RE alloys are good and I’ll instantly swap my spoked wheels for alloys. I did entire Bhutan in 2016 on cheap aftermarket alloys, and they did fine in spite of the treacherous roads. It took just one small pothole near my house to crack it open (rear). I’m back on spokes now, and did North Sikkim in 2017 and no issues absolutely. But I had my fingers crossed all the time.

BTW I ride a 2016 Squadron Blue, flawless and takes to the Himalayas like a bear loves honey!

Some pics of my bike. She’s called the ‘Snob’ (if it’s ok to post here)
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-98cd12b3cc984b64b979031fd40bb82d.jpeg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-ce6fbd0cffaf4293a2bb41fc1c480d5a.jpeg  

NIP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 23:41   #4018

Hello all

I am sure that in the last 300 pages people must have discussed the auto decomp anomalies in the UCE 500 engine but I couldnt find what I was looking for. Apologies.

I recently bought a Classic 500 (a second hand, '15 model). Usually the "tik tik" sound would stop after the engine had been warmed enough but now the noise has become permanent and quite irritating. At this point I myself dont kn ow if the sound is from the auto decomp itself or from somewhere else. But I experience no loss in performance and it just seems that the noise just got added to the bullet soundtrack and worsened it. No matter what the rpm, it persists.

Note: I just installed a 100/90 H4 bulb with a relay kit so the amp meter goes right off the charts whenI turn on the headlight, and that auto decomp problem started right after this installation. I wonder if the two are somewhat related.

Thank you for any response on the same.
Old 15th March 2018, 00:24   #4019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzitcr View Post
No matter what the rpm, it persists.

Note: I just installed a 100/90 H4 bulb with a relay kit.......I wonder if the two are somewhat related.
The auto decompression is completely mechanical and should not be affected by the electrical changes.

Since you pointed out that the metallic "tak-tak-tak" sound persists regardless of the rpm, the problem is mostly a broken spring in the auto decompression valve or it might be jammed in the decompression possition.
Abhishek3001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 01:26   #4020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
The auto decompression is completely mechanical and should not be affected by the electrical changes.

Since you pointed out that the metallic "tak-tak-tak" sound persists regardless of the rpm, the problem is mostly a broken spring in the auto decompression valve or it might be jammed in the decompression possition.
Muchas gracias Abhishek. Yes the pin had broken. Got it fixed without much fuss

Most Viewed