Team-BHP - Problems With Standard 350
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Problems With Standard 350 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/74476-problems-standard-350-a.html)

hi all :)

Facing some problems with my Bullet 350 CI

1> After every service my Bull goes into a sleep mode & i have to take it back atleast 5 times to get all the issues resolved at the Company service center. This time too the power was gone, the clatter increased insanely. ( there was almost no clatter when i took ym bike to service) .

2> i took my bike again to the service center and they ( the RE enginner, not mech. ) adjusted the carb. The thump got more airy ( feeble ) and the power went way too low. the speed was there, but no thumpy feel.

3> i took my bike again yesterday, they changed my spark plug, cleaned the carb. ( fully dismantled and put back again ), re-adjusted the CB point & put on a OIl filter ( a glass chamber into the fuel line coming from petrol T. Changed the petrol T for leakage.

Now what the mech told me was that the spark plug was gone bad and carb was dirty due to bad petrol. but now the bike is giving me starting trouble. Even after i warm it up, it just goes off anywhere and then wont start up for no-reason.

Firstly when the throttle was pulled the bike gave a miss beat ( not like a boom ) just like there was no petrol. now that problem has gone. but the bike is not idling. it does idle sometime, but then like before i cannot leave it on idle like i used to do before for 30 mins. or so.

I am frustated with the trouble. the mech. says that the bike will agian come to normal after I ride it for sometime. this sounds fishy to me.

Please tell me guys what should i do ? what can the problem be ? the bike runs fine, when not in a neutral state and the cluth is not applied.

Another thing i noticed is that when i park the bike in Side stand, and the bike is still on, it gives a weird sound like tak-tak from the cluth side ( i dont know where is it coming from ) i am pretty scared of the things going on.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

some more info :
Kms : 3900/-
Bike : almost 7 months old.
Petrol : Use normal petrol from the most reputed Petrol Pumps ( tried changing them too )
Model : Bullet STD 350 CI

thanks & regards

Shantanu

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 1705375)

The Ah..ha I told you so moment which I so love. :D

Quote:

1> This time too the power was gone, the clatter increased insanely.
Elaborate a bit please. Did they set the tappets? Did they change the oil?

Quote:

2> i took my bike again to the service center and they ( the RE enginner, not mech. ) adjusted the carb. The thump got more airy ( feeble ) and the power went way too low. the speed was there, but no thumpy feel.
He has made it leaner.

Quote:

3> i took my bike again yesterday, they changed my spark plug, cleaned the carb. ( fully dismantled and put back again ), re-adjusted the CB point & put on a OIl filter ( a glass chamber into the fuel line coming from petrol T. Changed the petrol T for leakage.
For the above problem?

Take it back. Make him run it a bit rich. Did he clean the jets?

Frustration wont help. Learn. Its a Bullet Thing. Like I said "I told you so".

Drive it slowly, that's what bullet is made for.. And its sound becomes more sweeter in 4th gear at speed of 40-50

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 1705375)
hi all :)

1> After every service my Bull goes into a sleep mode & i have to take it back atleast 5 times to get all the issues resolved at the Company service center. This time too the power was gone, the clatter increased insanely. ( there was almost no clatter when i took ym bike to service) .

Probably tappets.

Maybe a richer mix. Rich mixtures usually produce a thump that is milder. Initial acceleration too will drop with a rich pilot as the engine cannot breathe enough for the amount of fuel. This gets leaned out once the needle and the main jet lean out the mixture at higher rpm.

Now what the mech told me was that the spark plug was gone bad and carb was dirty due to bad petrol. but now the bike is giving me starting trouble. Even after i warm it up, it just goes off anywhere and then wont start up for no-reason.

Could be fouling due to a rich mixture.
Air lock in the fuel tank can't be ruled out.

Firstly when the throttle was pulled the bike gave a miss beat ( not like a boom ) just like there was no petrol. now that problem has gone. but the bike is not idling. it does idle sometime, but then like before and i cannot leave it on idle like i used to do before for 30 mins. or so.

Try adjusting the carb yourself. It is pretty easy if you go by the manual. With a little bit of trial and error. Keep extra plugs handy lest you foul one. In sometime, you'll get the hang of it.

I am frustrated with the trouble. the mech. says that the bike will agian come to normal after I ride it for sometime. this sounds fishy to me.

Please tell me guys what should i do ? what can the problem be ? the bike runs fine, when not in a neutral state and the cluth is not applied.

Another thing i noticed is that when i park the bike in Side stand, and the bike is still on, it gives a weird sound like tak-tak from the cluth side ( i dont know where is it coming from ) i am pretty scared of the things going on.

Most probably a rattle due to something loose. Check if some switch in the bird's nest(the headlamp nacelle) is a little loose and is hitting the tank due to the vibrations. This usually happens when you let your bull idle on the side stand.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

some more info :
Kms : 3900/-
Bike : almost 7 months old.
Petrol : Use normal petrol from the most reputed Petrol Pumps ( tried changing them too )
Model : Bullet STD 350 CI

thanks & regards

Shantanu

On another note, try buying the Pete Snidal manual and learn to wrench. You'll have much more peace of mind this way than having to to the dealer's place to fix small but persistent issues.

Cheers,

Jay

@Jay: Rich? I think its leaned out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1705397)
The Ah..ha I told you so moment which I so love. :D

:D lol i knew that was coming

Quote:

Elaborate a bit please. Did they set the tappets? Did they change the oil?
Yup they set the tappets, changed the oil, even flushed the side compartment with petrol, when i told them not to.

Quote:

He has made it leaner.
i felt that too, but the mechs dont listen much, he just ajusted and re-adjusted

Quote:

For the above problem?

Take it back. Make him run it a bit rich. Did he clean the jets?

Frustration wont help. Learn. Its a Bullet Thing. Like I said "I told you so".
yes he cleaned the jets and everything with petrol, the clatter is weird and also that tak-tak-tak sound. I dont feel its tappets, he says he will put pins and its the right hand side panel the sound is coming from. the garrari compartment.

My bull does not give me problems much, but this time they screwed in service.

Another thing is that it feels that my bull is unhealthy as i drive it. I dont know whats happening but its not what it used to be. I was wondering why he set the Point again, then why the revving is abnormal and not consistent, why it is not idling for longer times. it even goes off when at a redlight.

what i will do ..

Jay i already have the Pete-snidal , should i really go for it ? and DIY ? is there anything worse that could happen ?

Can u please give me some pointers for the perfect mixture ratio ? and how to check if CB point is ok ?

my bend pipe color is not changing and i dont feel any extra heat. Oil is Castrol GTX extra 20W50 ( the recommened one )

PS : i drove my bull once at 130 ( 80 mph mark ), just once with navpreet318 , for just 5 seconds not more, usually i drive at 45-60 mark. and i did the 130 after 3500k mark.

did i screw up ?

MY spark plug is a bit black i checked it today morning but not extremely black.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPrashanth (Post 1705412)
On another note, try buying the Pete Snidal manual and learn to wrench. You'll have much more peace of mind this way than having to to the dealer's place to fix small but persistent issues.

Cheers,

Jay

Post updated :)

thanks

Checked the plug?

And yes DIY is the way to go. Loads of stuff to learn. Will build up confidence too.

yup the new plug is a bit black , not much black. but the spark is good. Another thing i feel is that my bull is running sometimes good and sometimes bad !

Spitfire,

I'm saying lean because this is a common trick used by mechs to "improve" the pick up by "carburetor tuning". What they do is, from total close position, they open the air screw by a single turn anticlockwise instead of the recommended 2.5-3 turns anticlockwise. What happens then? The mixture is very lean and the engine starves for that split second when you whack open the throttle. As the throttle is opened wider(all this happens within a very short time) the fuel rushes in-> motorcycle lurches/jerks forward and the rider feels that the power is bumped up. Since Shantanu said that the pick up has actually dropped in the initial stage, I am saying it could be a case of rich mixture. This because a rich pilot mix will usually result in sluggish pick up with the revs not mounting quickly as there isn't enough air for the fuel to burn fully. And this is what Shantanu says,top speed is ok but the pick up isn't. Anyway, all this is basic trouble shooting sitting behind a comp. We obviously cannot conclude anything without actually seeing and feeling the bull perform on the road.

Cheers,

Jay

here are some pics of carb, the new oil filter bottle and the compartment they cleaned with petrol. Will also upload if needed the pics of the spark plug ?
Problems With Standard 350-dscn0880.jpg

Problems With Standard 350-dscn0881.jpg

Problems With Standard 350-dscn0882.jpg

Problems With Standard 350-dscn0883.jpg

Jay, as i asked you , Any pointer on re-setting the carb by my own :) refer pics of carb please.

Regards

Shantanu

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 1705427)
what i will do ..

Jay i already have the Pete-snidal , should i really go for it ? and DIY ? is there anything worse that could happen ?

Can u please give me some pointers for the perfect mixture ratio ? and how to check if CB point is ok ?

my bend pipe color is not changing and i dont feel any extra heat. Oil is Castrol GTX extra 20W50 ( the recommened one )

PS : i drove my bull once at 130 ( 80 mph mark ), just once with navpreet318 , for just 5 seconds not more, usually i drive at 45-60 mark. and i did the 130 after 3500k mark.

did i screw up ?

MY spark plug is a bit black i checked it today morning but not extremely black.

130 is amazing man. If your STD350 sees such speed even with a 20% speedo error, you have a good one. :)

About going DIY on the bullet, don't you worry, it is a very simple machine but time consuming to work on.Great if you love wrenching. Just follow the Snidal model, use good quality tools and replace the nuts and bolts if they show any signs of heavy wear.

Meanwhile, doing that speed for a few moments is ok. Don't sustain it. The STD350 is best between 60 and 80.

For the perfect mix, I think I posted about this on BeastofBurden's LB500 thread. Please read from there. It is a big post.

Cheers,

Jay

thanks ! i will read it there & hope its same for STD and LB ?

about the 130 thing, i matched my odo with a karizma digital :D hehe

ALso do i need to post the pics of Spark plug ?

Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPrashanth (Post 1705491)
Anyway, all this is basic trouble shooting sitting behind a comp. We obviously cannot conclude anything without actually seeing and feeling the bull perform on the road.

Agree to the rich part. I thought they went the other way when he said it wont idle.

And yes sitting behind a comp we can just give our opinions based on experience. But knowing the CIs we might not be anywhere close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 1705494)
here are some pics of carb, the new oil filter bottle and the compartment they cleaned with petrol. Will also upload if needed the pics of the spark plug ?

You meant petrol filter. Its not an oil filter.

The compartment - shiny box? It houses the air filter is cleaned with kerosene. Nothing wrong in doing that.

Or you mean the timing gears section? Anyways it shouldnt be a bother.

Isnt another member here navpreet in the neighbourhood? Ask him to ride it. I am sure it needs proper carb setting, thats it.

If you are confident of taking the plug out and fitting it back properly, pics of the plug would help.