Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 15:10   #1

which 100-125 cc bike for me ??

Hi Guys

I am Sumit working as s/w professional. My daily commute from home to ofc is abt 20kms. Previously I owned a 180 cc Pulsar but after 3 yrs , I found its engine quite rorty plus bike was giving me pain in the left hand knee so sold it.

My ht is 5'11" and wt 90kgs (age 28). I want to buy a bike that doesnt give back pain for tall ppl and avg shud be min 50. It should be comfortable also .

Please suggest which bike would be gud for me and why ??
(I dont want to buy another Bajaj product)

1. TVS Star City 110 (Heard ppl saying its engine gng kaboom after 2-3 yrs)
2. HH splendor plus (7.4 BHP too low ewww..)
3. Yamaha Gladiator (Heard after sales is bad)
4. Honda Shine (Seems like a 100 CC Luna)

I am in favor of glady but heard its resale is low ! while all old ppl go gaga over HH splendor plus ! What to buy ???

Plz suggest

Thanks
Sumit
Old 29th January 2010, 19:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you are concerned about ride quality, you can go for Suzuki Zeus. I own one and the torque is great for 125cc bike. High FE too. You can also look at the GS150 offered by Suzuki.
In 100cc, you have splendor and passion. They are both reliable and FE is good enough. Dont ride them fast though, as the low gearing is not helpful at speeds above 60.
The best part of Splendor and Passion is ride quality which is much better than what Suzuki 125cc offers.

Super Splendor is not that good a machine. Neither power nor torque are the best words to describe it.
Shine is about the same.
Resale ( if you want to consider it ) is highest in case of HH 100cc offerings.

What you need is a commuter bike and not sports bike as you have to travel around 20 kms one way.

Above 125cc there are multiple options.
Old 29th January 2010, 19:48   #3
BHPian

If you wish to get a 150cc.. my vote would go to Suz GS150, worth a try! Also, if you want to extend 10cc more and go for Bajaj again, you can check the new Pulsar 135, got reviews that it's a pretty good machine and better than the 150!
Old 29th January 2010, 21:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esumitkumar View Post
1. TVS Star City 110 (Heard ppl saying its engine gng kaboom after 2-3 yrs)
2. HH splendor plus (7.4 BHP too low ewww..)
3. Yamaha Gladiator (Heard after sales is bad)
4. Honda Shine (Seems like a 100 CC Luna)
My choices in the order of preference out of the options listed by you

1. Yamaha Gladiator - After sales is mediocre with most of the companies, so nothing new. Very worthy contender and worth trying out a test ride

2. TVS Star City 110 - Capable again but you would feel the lack of power evidently. I have 2 friends who own Star City and they are using it for nearly 3 years and no issues so far.

3. Honda Shine - There are complaints of bad shocks related to Shine.. Not sure how far its true. But seems to be a good all round package

4. HH Splendor Plus - Would stay away from this as long as you are behind resale value as your main point. We have got one for the family and I cannot even think of riding and sustaining on one after having ride in it. Powerless and torque is also nothing to write home about.

Gearless scoots are better compared to HH Splendor in terms of convenience, acceleration, pick up, overtaking etc. The only place where they suffer is mileage.

PS: Since you are downgrading from P180, its better to get a slightly better powered bike to not feel the lack of power along with better mileage.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 29th January 2010 at 22:00.
Old 29th January 2010, 22:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Yamaha Gladiator is the best bet here!

If you can extend your budget a little, go for the Suzuki GS150R.
Old 29th January 2010, 23:03   #6
BHPian

Go for gladiator, test drive it and you will like it. Service center people may not be as friendly as those in hero honda but the bike is so maintenance free it hardly needs any service. Suzuki zeus is another good option. Just test drive 125cc bikes in market and buy which gives you confident riding position and comfort. Mileage will be somewhat same for all these 125cc bikes which is about 50kmpl.
Old 29th January 2010, 23:07   #7
BHPian

Why Dont you check new TVS Jevo it has clutch less gears plus under seat storage,and has decent power and TVS bikes are ergonomically very good.

You can also check TVS Flame it has very good looks and and fantastic milage with little storage and very good low end torque.

Of the above bikes Gladiator is very good option its really good bike.
Old 29th January 2010, 23:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

may i suggest
Honda Unicorn,
Yamaha Gladiator,

Suzie has tank rust issues along with very poor lamps

^^either buy a 100cc or a 150cc, as presumed 125's don't exactly give the best of both worlds
Old 30th January 2010, 18:30   #9

hmm..thanks all BHPians..I think Zeus seems to be a good bike..How is it for tall ppl like me ? Also my frnds say Zeus is a super flop bike(since not many ppl buy it) ..I drive Alto from home to ofc daily but I have seen only one Zeus till now on my way !!

So tell me ..Is Zeus good or Glady ? How much is BHP of Zeus..I cant find it in Suzuki Website
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:06   #10

Bumping the thread

I TD Zeus and Glamour. I found Zeus to be quite refined but Glamour is gud also (albeit more pricey)

So which bike should I take ??

ZEUS or GLAMOUR ?

(I didnt like Glamour's REDDD exhaust vent pipe and shockers even in Black Glamour)
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:55   #11
BHPian

Glamour is a pretty good bike.

HH - so great A.S.S, mileage and good resale value too. But yeah, the HH graphics and stickering sucks.

Did you check out the new 100-125 CC bike Honda is offering (forgot its name, but there is a thread about that)
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:06   #12
BHPian

Have you checked the Honda Stunner ?

It really looks big for a 125cc and the fifth gear makes it less vibey than the shine at higher speeds.

FE should be good too.
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey esumitkumar

Why not try the Honda Stunner. It is a good bike selling in good numbers, so no issues like a flop bike. The mileage is also good well over 50 kmpl, & you have the option of going for FI model.

It looks the best amongst the current lot (mini ZMA looks)refined + reliable & perfoamance is also good.

Just try it out.

Best of Luck
Old 4th March 2010, 14:10   #14

Honda Stunner is out as I am no more bachelor

I TD Honda Twister but I didnt like it very much..

I am finalizing on Glamour but its RED exhaust pipe in BLACK color looks as a chutzpah !
Old 20th March 2010, 23:10   #15
BHPian

Yamaha Glady 125cc would have been better in RS version

Most Viewed