Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 17:37   #16
BHPian

1. i dont think your chain is broken. if it were broken, your wheel would not have been totally locked. you would be able to move it little front and back. this has happened to me.
2. the gear box cove is seriously damaged. iam getting the feeling your gears or one gear has broken in pieces and forced the gearbox cover outside, hence cracking its holding nuts and body. that's a major expense.

UM
Attached Thumbnails
2004 Pulsar 180DTSi gearbox cracked!-image0057.jpg  

Last edited by UniqueMods : 4th February 2010 at 17:41.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, thanks a lot for oyur replies.

It has reached the mechanic's place now.

They opened it in front of me. The Chain has definitely been cut. There is no other damage to the sprockets or the gears or anything.

The guy is telling me he will just add a new link to the chain and use that itself. However, the magnet cover(what Unique mods has called the Gearbox cover) and the sprocket cover have to be replaced and will cost 600 and 300/- respectively.

Do you think this is the correct price?

Also, someone asked if the top bolt on the sprocket cover was missing. It isnt. The bolt has snapped in two and the bolt at the bottom didnt break, but the cover itself broke into two pieces.

Basically it seems the chain broke with a huge amount of force. Unbelievable.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:52   #18
BHPian

A chain break causing so much of damage, scary. Good to know that you were not thrown of the bike.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:01   #19
BHPian

@Nikhil:
the part you were referring to is called as the magneto cover(P.No. DH 1011 55) and the part number for the sprocket cover is DH 1011 56. In addition, you may have to change the gasket(DH 1011 59)

Hope this helps..
Old 4th February 2010, 18:01   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Luckily at that moment I was accelerating after negotiating a speed bump. So, I was relatively slow. And the rear wheel didnt lock up instantly. It just started to slow down. It was after a few seconds that the chain got entangled and the rear wheel locked up.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:22   #21
BANNED

Nikhilb2008 : Did you ever had an accident and the bike fell into the left side ?

The price they have quoted is OK.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:24   #22
BHPian

Don't worry much. Same thing happened to my Bajaj Caliber. It was because of broken chain. I was riding at around 60-70kmph speed when it happened. With that speed broken chain rammed the final drive part of the engine and made a hole resulting in engine oil leakage.
Chain has to be fixed. Mechanic charged 200 Rs for welding job. A decent welding job was done, no issues after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
the sprocket cover have to be replaced and will cost 600 and 300/- respectively.

You are lucky to get spare parts. I didn't get and I had to go for welding. Price is reasonable.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th February 2010 at 19:58.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:38   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Mithun, never. The only accident I had was 4 years ago. I think thge bike fell on it;'s right side that time. Not sure. I was more worried about my broken leg and broken wrist.
Old 4th February 2010, 19:10   #24
BHPian

Nikhil,

Did the Mechanic tell you any possible reason for the chain breaking ?

Could it be possible due to insufficient lubrication ?
Old 4th February 2010, 19:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
... The Chain has definitely been cut. There is no other damage to the sprockets or the gears or anything. .. The guy is telling me he will just add a new link to the chain and use that itself. ..
Scary! as bad as high speed puncture. Lucky that rear wheel didn't jam all of a sudden. You should first see why did it break at all. Repairing same chain doesn't seem good.
My chain broke once but it just fell off sprockets, on a bullet it was.
Old 4th February 2010, 19:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

So I was correct about the chain being broken .

Did you take any pictures of the chain and sprocket when it was opened . I want to see the front ,rear sprockets and the chain .
Old 4th February 2010, 21:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

So it should be an easy fix, right Nikhil?At the most a couple of days at the workshop?
Anyways,whats more important is that you weren't injured in any way.Not sure if this would be necessary, but would you want a complete check done on the bike to make sure no other related damages occured (past what was diagnosed by the mechanic)?
Old 4th February 2010, 23:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, thanks a lot for oyur replies.

It has reached the mechanic's place now.

They opened it in front of me. The Chain has definitely been cut. There is no other damage to the sprockets or the gears or anything.

The guy is telling me he will just add a new link to the chain and use that itself. However, the magnet cover(what Unique mods has called the Gearbox cover) and the sprocket cover have to be replaced and will cost 600 and 300/- respectively.

Also, someone asked if the top bolt on the sprocket cover was missing. It isnt. The bolt has snapped in two and the bolt at the bottom didnt break, but the cover itself broke into two pieces.

Basically it seems the chain broke with a huge amount of force. Unbelievable.
That amount of damage to the alternator and sprocket cover is intense in all probability the gearbox has also taken a big hit hence the loss of oil.
A closer inspection of the output shaft area for hairline cracks.
If you managed to get away with that then dont refit that chain ever.
Thank you lucky stars you came out unscathed. Good luck Nik
Old 5th February 2010, 10:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Caliber, Pulsar & Bajaj family all having broken chains hmmm. But how was the chain broken? Was it lose or unlubricated?
Old 5th February 2010, 10:22   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I think in my case the chain was over tightened. I will do a complete check on the other components as well. Thankfully the bike's rear wheel didnt lock instantly.

This is relatively easy to fix.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks