Team-BHP - 2004 Pulsar 180DTSi gearbox cracked!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   2004 Pulsar 180DTSi gearbox cracked! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/74847-2004-pulsar-180dtsi-gearbox-cracked.html)

I have a Pulsar 180 DTSi which I bought in September of 2004. I've been using it since then. I've covered about 30,000 kms.

About an hour ago, as I was returning from dinner, there was this sudden grrrrrr noise and the bike stopped moving. The engine was running, but no power was being transferred to the rear wheels.

I stopped and this was the sight that greeted me.

2004 Pulsar 180DTSi gearbox cracked!-image0001.jpg

2004 Pulsar 180DTSi gearbox cracked!-image0057.jpg

YouTube - Cracked gearbox of 2004 Pulsar 180 DTSi

If the video doesnt play, please open in a new window.

What is the next step? How can something like this even happen? I had got the bike serviced less than a week ago. Last Saturday(30th Jan 2010) to be exact.

Do no what happened .
Can you remove the chain cover above the shifter and see the front sprocket ?
And where is the top bolt for front sprocket cover ? , they missed it at the service?
The chain could have broken and it would have thrown front and damaged things .

Remove the alternator cover and the sprocket cover , things will be clear .

I cant open anything now. Bike is about half a km away from home. I just parked it on the footpath and came walking.

I would like to know why this has happened. Can it be repaired easily? Within a couple of thousand bucks?

you cant even push the bike ? , half km, push it to your home na , why leave it on road at 12 in night ? .
You know what , police will take it to station and then they will sprinkle some blood and tomorrow they will tell this was used by a thief and there was attempt to murder and they will harass . This actually happened to one of my colleague .

Cant push the bike dude.... The rear wheel is locked.

It is better if you can manage to bring it back
I think rear wheel is jammed because of chain. If possible try removing the chain and try to drag it.

Can you get a truck on rent from somewhere and move it back home? Might be late and no one will be around, I know. No harm trying none-the-less.Or atleast if you can move the bike and keep it in front of some store, that would help.
I think one of my friends had this problem many many years ago, on his KB100.IIRC, there was some tiny crack at one of the opening of the block, and one fine day the whole thing just cracked right open,throwing my friend on the road violently. never really found out what happened to the bike.

That type of damage is down to the chain snapping and rolling into towards the gearbox and crankcases. If the chain is still on the rear sprocket then the top run of the chain had picked up a large object and smashed into the gearbox. The motor effectively is now scrap metal sorry to be so blunt Nik.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1715192)
I think one of my friends had this problem many many years ago, on his KB100.IIRC
throwing my friend on the road violently. never really found out what happened to the bike.

Jesus Christ, imagine you are entering a corner doing approx 85-90 and the thing gives away throwing you away, i turn into a pulp

IMO, it should be the sprocket & not the gearbox & shouldn't cost you much

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 1715177)
Cant push the bike dude.... The rear wheel is locked.

Check if the chain broke. A broken chain can break the clutch cover.
Else the rotor drum inside must've come loose, breaking it the cover.

Btw its your clutch cover that broke, hope the gearbox side inside is intact.

as already mentioned it probably happened due to the chain snapping off and in turn cracking it.

The rear wheel is locked right now. I'm taking a mechanic along with me at 3:00 and seeing what can be done.

I haven't seen anything like this before, thank god you are safe.

I guess chain must have broken ..... when did you replaced the chain-sprocket kit ??

chain loosen, got double layered, stuck and rolled up over the sprocket with a great thrust. cheers that you are safe and it doesn't caused any harm to you. anyway please let me know what transpires.

cheers
sajid