Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 17:07   #1

Oil cooler for 350

Hi All,
I own a 2002 electra done about 47000 (but ofcourse i seldom drive it). i have read quite a few topics on over heating of engine. My bull has the same issue after a steady 30 minutes drive at 60- 80 the engine heats up drastically, I have tried many oils from castrol to Mobil and Total with periodic maintance. but still after a 30 minutes drive the engine gets pretty hot (can feel it on my legs) and the perfomance drops especially on peack traffic (keeps cutting my engine). And then came the Pulsar engines with oil colled engine, I was wondering if any one has tried to or thought of doing a mod for oil cooled engine for bull? Please advice - Manish
Old 4th February 2010, 17:32   #2
BHPian

Heat

How hot does it get, normally bulls tend to give out heat , but this is bearable. I had a similar problem and changed my riding style a bit, in traffic stops ( signals), i switch to neutral immediately and leave the clutch . believe me , this helps. I have heard of some mods on the bull to make it oil cooled, will search and let you know the success of these trials. but the overheating could be due to many other reasons.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankamble View Post
Hi All,
I own a 2002 electra done about 47000 (but ofcourse i seldom drive it). i have read quite a few topics on over heating of engine. My bull has the same issue after a steady 30 minutes drive at 60- 80 the engine heats up drastically, I have tried many oils from castrol to Mobil and Total with periodic maintance. but still after a 30 minutes drive the engine gets pretty hot (can feel it on my legs) and the perfomance drops especially on peack traffic (keeps cutting my engine). And then came the Pulsar engines with oil colled engine, I was wondering if any one has tried to or thought of doing a mod for oil cooled engine for bull? Please advice - Manish
On the forum, not yet. Check this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-review-4.html. Can be done pretty easily. The pulsar oil cooler will definitely fit but I doubt if the already weak CI350 oil pump can handle the pumping because it needs to move almost 300 ml of oil. Solution to this is coming up shortly.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 4th February 2010, 20:44   #4
BHPian

Ah, someone did what i was lazy of - post for CI350 oil cooling. Seen many Avl's with Pulsar coolers to chop job coolers but few with Ci's pump, may be volume is of some concern or Ci's are simply Cool ;-).
No quick fix but here's something which any d.i.y chap can try - Aluminum billet oil cooler. Make one for low volume, single/ multi flow path at a local m/c shop. Though not efficient as regular finned coolers these are good enough heat sinks for Ci engine, compact, tough & no radiator looks.

@ Jay, could you pls ask your friend to share any flow rate -temperature ref data on your LB thread.

what some are like on Triumph, some off-roader, Harley
Oil cooler for 350-oc.jpg

Last edited by Rennjit : 4th February 2010 at 21:00. Reason: ;-)
Old 4th February 2010, 21:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rennjit,

The temperature data should come in sometime when the ported slide gets tested too. I will update the thread when it happens. Meanwhile, the guy who designed it might join team-bhp shortly.

Mankamble,

And yeah, I remember another simple solution to cool the oil. Just get yourself some long copper tubing. Make a few concentric circles with the tubing and connect it to the oil pump output. The oil pump will pump oil into the tubing and the output of the concentric tubing will go back through the oil banjo bolts just before the Y. This is a easy DIY budget mod which includes a little bit of welding. You are basically using the copper tubing like a heat sink.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 4th February 2010 at 21:18.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:26   #6

Thanks Jay. i was hoping to do the same, but instead of concentric circles i was planning for the radiatior type turnings and extend it to the front, but not sure if the presure is enough to pump the oil to the head, if Circles how many would you suggest

@Deepak, the heat is quite noticble, id have to shut the engine off for about 5 mins till i have enough pressure to start the engine again.
Old 7th February 2010, 16:43   #7
BHPian

an oil cooler for the cast iron is very much necessary.
while riding in stop n go traffic the engine sometimes jus conks off..
and the heat emited by the engine is enough to make the legs into tangdi kabab..
Old 8th February 2010, 11:20   #8
BHPian

i don't think cooler is a necessity for Ci engine but agree its beneficial. If engine's getting so hot, state of tune/ riding style should be looked at first. Like hard revving makes it hot but not gradual speeding. Cooler helps in stop-go city run if with a fan pushing air thru cooler when bike is still.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:38   #9
BHPian

Oil cooler with a small Fan(Like Computer SMPS Fan)

Hi All,

I have a 2006 EL 5S. Though my riding style is not so fast(Slow and stedy kind of), but sometimes in bumper to bumper i feel the engine is over heated.

I want to install this oil cooler. But one more idea came to my mind.

Oil cooler with a small Fan(Like Computer SMPS Fan). what you thinking guys? is this a good idea?

or

Can be water cooled rediater like 4 wheeler installed in RE?

Can any one give me details of installations,price, etc.... who have install it.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2006 EL 5S. Though my riding style is not so fast(Slow and stedy kind of), but sometimes in bumper to bumper i feel the engine is over heated.

I want to install this oil cooler. But one more idea came to my mind.

Oil cooler with a small Fan(Like Computer SMPS Fan). what you thinking guys? is this a good idea?

or

Can be water cooled rediater like 4 wheeler installed in RE?

Can any one give me details of installations,price, etc.... who have install it.
Can be done. You need to pick up a weatherproof fan and a thermostat for it to kick in at a particular temperature. Computer CPU fans might work but won't last long as they will be exposed to the elements. For the CI engine, a new oil cooler is in the works. You have a PM.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks