Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 15:15   #16
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, some of the parts have arrived. Reminds me of my own RX-build from scrap-cafe-stock. Anyways, this rebuild should not take long, since we're getting the bike to a stock condition.

The bike is in the garage and is gonna be completely dismantled. The engine and chasis will be given for painting. That should take another day or 3. By Monday, we should be getting the tank, side panels, wheels and tyres. We were planning for similar tyres as my RX-100 but were thinking of a 17-in rear setup with a 100/90-18. Is it advisable. Or should I stick to a 3.00 x 18 rear.

Ok, enough of talks. Here are the pics.

Headlights and Indicators
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-lights.jpg

Levers
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-levers.jpg

Lockset
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-lockset.jpg

Suspension. We were told that the gas shock absorbers would not be a direct fit and that this one was better. Isn't this the S-n-S suspension from Bajaj?
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-suspension.jpg

Wiring Kit
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-wiring.jpg

Gear Lever
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-gear.jpg

Free keychains
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-keychain.jpg

All the parts
Name:  All.jpg
Views: 17003
Size:  73.6 KB
Old 7th March 2010, 13:55   #17
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates as of March 07 2010 :

The bike has been completely dismantled.
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-allparts.jpg

Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-engine.jpg

Dunlop 2.75 x 18 Front and 3.00 x 18 rear.
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-tyre1.jpg
Old 7th March 2010, 17:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Though I've a feeling that my posts are considered worthless, in the benefit of community, I like to share some of my knowledge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Suspension. We were told that the gas shock absorbers would not be a direct fit and that this one was better. Isn't this the S-n-S suspension from Bajaj?
Atleast I'm 100% sure that gas suspension from Pulsars (Nitrox) are direct fit to RX, no modifications required or anything to be done; regarding Apache's, I heard 2 statements; first one being that, its a direct fit, but increases the height; second one being that some cutting & welding job needs to be done on the suspension. I'm not sure about Apache's work, but Pulsar's rear suspension - Yes 100% confident.

Quote:
There're 2 models from Endurance that Bajaj uses for CT100, Platina etc as well as for old Discover 135. It is advisable to use the old one of Discover 135 rather than CT100's.
Old 7th March 2010, 19:46   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever suggestion or points you make here aargee - they are definitely not worthless. Thanks for sharing your points

The Pulsar shocks - the spare part guy said will foul with the sari guard. And my friend is planning to keep the sari guard. Also he mentioned that the s-n-s ones are more comfortable and long lasting.

Anyways the gas shocks would have increased the budget too, so we got these ones. I've seen most of restored/redone RX's using this shocks more than the gas ones.

Regarding the Platina / Discover shocks - how do I identify as to which bike this belongs to? These look more like the Platina ones, however I'm not very sure.
Old 7th March 2010, 20:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Pulsar shocks - the spare part guy said will foul with the sari guard. And my friend is planning to keep the sari guard. Also he mentioned that the s-n-s ones are more comfortable and long lasting.
I haven't thought about the saree guard part; I'll check my friend's RX on Tuesday if he has a saree guard & provide you the comments, but, IMO, it should not, but I'm not making a statement here.

Reg SNS, I'm not sure how they're long lasting, but they're comfortable; how I know this is because I'm personally using the old Discover 135s.

Quote:
Anyway, the gas shocks would have increased the budget too, so we got these ones. I've seen most of restored/redone RX's using this shocks more than the gas ones.
Gas shocks will increase the price very very marginally; Pls see my previous post of the cost 1500 Vs 1300; 1300 for twin springs was from A.S.S at MRP & 1500 for Nitrox are the MRP. But anyways, twin springs are good too & nothing less to Nirtox.

Quote:
Regarding the Platina / Discover shocks - how do I identify as to which bike this belongs to? These look more like the Platina ones, however I'm not very sure.
Very true that they look more like platinas & CT100s; for this one must trust a Bajaj A.S.S & a REAL expertise over there.

My personal experience was that, when I went to buy one, I specifically asked for Discover 135's, as usual, one vaccum headed said, "Sir they're all same"; upon further conversation & explaining to him, he had to agree & fortunately there was a boy who had nuts & bolts working on spare parts section & he immediately agreed with me & said they no longer stock it; I got it shipped from Bajaj after 3 weeks of follow-up. Sorry to say that even I don't know to identify the difference, but if I come across, I'll share it here.

Theoritically speaking, those old age twin springs were made little heavier for the 135CC bikes while compared to the lighter 100cc CT100s. So Rx being little heavier, those old suspensions should be better than CT100s.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

I was at the workshop today & enquired about having gas suspension & saree guard. The mech said it was perfectly possible to have both saree guard & the Nitrox rear suspension. I'm little reluctant to believe unless I see that in person because he also mentioned having a customized saree guard instead of going in for a regular one. Reason he told me was the customized ones lasts about 5-6 years while the OE's get rusted in 1 or 2 years. So if its a customized saree guard, I need to see it to believe it. Will keep this point in mind & update in this thread as I come across one.
Old 9th March 2010, 15:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

i am acquiring a Rx 135 5 speed tommorow.
plan to restore it,but after a while till then have to store it.
will keep an eye on this thread.
Old 9th March 2010, 16:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

wow, what a nice thread i got. Rarely I visit this section but today by mistake clicked this section link

Thanks v12 for starting such a nice thread.

Last week again my mom said looking at Rx135, "if you are not using this bike why don’t you sell that" :( no way I am going to sell my RX. It was lying idle with punctured tire.

This thread is a real inspiration for me! My RX is going to get a restoration soon
I will stick to this thread.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 301474
V12, did you compare the length of these shocks and the stock RX shocks? Are they same? If these are longer than RX shocks then the straight line stability will reduce.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
V12, did you compare the length of these shocks and the stock RX shocks? Are they same? If these are longer than RX shocks then the straight line stability will reduce.
They're longer than RX suspensions.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

@V12 do you have the owners/workshop manual of RX100? if yes please PM me, i am also planning to restore my RX100

Spike
Old 10th March 2010, 21:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@V12 do you have the owners/workshop manual of RX100? if yes please PM me, i am also planning to restore my RX100

Spike
Source - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ual-rx100.html
Old 11th March 2010, 16:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
They're longer than RX suspensions.
It would interesting to see how they affect the handling of the bike. I have seen a few Rx s with this setup, have to ride one now.
Old 11th March 2010, 20:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
It would interesting to see how they affect the handling of the bike. I have seen a few Rx s with this setup, have to ride one now.
Well, I haven't seen any difference except for one thing - the height; I feel little discomfort when taking out of & putting it onto the main stand; I bet the riding comfort has increased to noticeable extend; Here's the pic of my old rears suspensions
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-s1.jpg
Compared to these hard OE shocks, the twin springs are really soft(level 1 for solo rider); I'm not really sure what opinion to give you on handling as I haven't noticed any; if you were in Chennai, I could've given you my ride to experience
Old 13th March 2010, 22:46   #30
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for all your updates aargee. I guess then this shop guy wanted to sell off the double spring suspension to me and hence may have given this excuse. But he did say that the double springs are more comfortable than the gas ones. Now I'm not sure if my friend is gonna fit in the saree guard or not.

Yes, the OE shocks are a bit hard even on the softest setting. I have them on my RX but will have to try these and see how much is the difference.

akshay4587 : Seen your bike pics. Nice 5-Speed you got there.

Some more updates : The engine and chasis have been painted and would be fitted tomorrow. The below parts have arrived :

Side Panels
RX-135 monograms
Chrome panel covers
Rear chrome mudguard
Tail-light
Rims and spokes
Full chain guard

We were supposed to pick the tank which was ordered, but there was some issue with the paint work so have asked the guy to get another piece. The local front mudguard too was a bent one and had lots of scratches so have asked to get a diffent piece in that too.

Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-allparts2.jpg

Last edited by v12 : 13th March 2010 at 22:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks