Team-BHP - Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/75930-rebuild-1996-yamaha-rx135-4-speed.html)

Hi guys,

A friend of mine picked up a 1996 Yamaha RX-135 4-speed. The bike is in a pretty bad condition and hence we got the bike very cheap (as much as the cost of a scrap RX100). The engine is in good condition, but the same cannot be said about the rest of the bike.

However since my friend had a high budget, he didnt mind picking a scrap bike and doing it up like a brand new one. Here's a list of what we got for a cheap price :

- A scrap bike.
- Completely torn seat and rusted metal base.
- Completely rusted f/r wheels.
- Missing tail-lights and indicators.
- Dented silencer with lots of holes.
- Leaking front fork (which the mechanic has said can be fixed).
- Weak rear shocks (currently an old HH one).
- Bald tyres.
- Non-functional speedometer.
- Rusted f/r metal mudguard.
- Dented tank and broken petrol lid.
- 135 logo missing on one side.
- Functional oil pump.
- Engine in good condition. Only requires an oil change.
- 2-owners.
- Bad Electricals.

Most of the above listed parts will be replaced with new stuff. Tomorrow the bike goes for a regular service, wash and oil change. Painting of the chasis and engine will begin mid-week after which we will start buying the parts and fitting them.

Will post pics of the bike and the rebuild process as it progresses.

Is this going to be a rebuild to stock specs or are you also planning some functional upgrades like gas shocks, etc. ?

I have a 1998 Rx135 4sp and I am thinking of an overhaul + some upgrades.

Best of luck for your rebuild.
I will be following this thread.

Hi vabs, Its gonna be a stock upgrade. But now that you have mentioned gas shock absorbers - you've got me thinking in a different angle. The work hasnt started yet, but the chasis and engine have been washed and cleaned off all dirt and grime - so its ready to go for a paint job.

What would be the cost of gas shock absorbers? If the difference between Gabriel and gas shocks is not much, it would be better to go for gas ones.

Some pics of the bike :
Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-1.jpg

Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-2.jpg

Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed-3.jpg

Aah Fantastic!!! Happy to see another rebuild; welcome you whole heartedly to the world of Rx rebuilds; here're some more tips (expenses) from my side
1. Opt for a front disc; Pulsar/Gald's fork will be a direct fit; go for it along with the disc brakes
2. Go for endurance (Discover 135) twin spring rear suspensions or Nitrox (Pulsar) gas suspensions, they will be a direct fit on the main stay from the frame
3. Think about fitting in a five speed gear box :)
4. Get an OE meter assy & get a new Minda lock set
5. Try to replace the stock carbs with 28/30 mm flat slides
6. Change all the bolt nuts in the bike
7. Use a new chain cover, though I hate it myself, but its best to avoid cleaning the chain often
8. Check the conditions of cam shaft for gear & kicker & replace them & if possible go for a new kicker
9. Change the kicker assy (for sure it WILL be lose by now)
10. If the rims are rusted, do not bother to chrome, throw them & buy new set of HH rims, they're direct fit & the quality is way too good.

That looks like a RXG and not a RX135 to me. Come to think of it was Rx135 on sale in 1994?

I am not sure which gas shock will be suitable for Rx. We need to check the height/length of gas shocks. I know that Pulsar shock will be longer than the stock shock. This will change the riding geometry of the bike. Pulsar is also much heavier, so spring rates will be different.

I am thinking of following changes:
1. Front disk brake
2. Gas charged shocks
3. Better tires
4. 17" wheel (for much better tire options)
5. Chrome plated (or SS) side stand
6. Better seat
7. And may be... clip ons

My problem is that.. I don't want to alter the basic shape/look of the bike while doing all these changes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vabs78 (Post 1750124)
That looks like a RXG and not a RX135 to me. Come to think of it was Rx135 on sale in 1994?

Actually he said 96; but true 96 & Rx135 no way, should be RXG as you said.

Quote:

I am not sure which gas shock will be suitable for Rx. We need to check the height/length of gas shocks. I know that Pulsar shock will be longer than the stock shock. This will change the riding geometry of the bike. Pulsar is also much heavier, so spring rates will be different.

Most of the Bajaj's are direct fit; I run on Discover 135's twin springs that has raised the height by half an inch & my friend's on Pulsar's. However the Apache's rear susp are best in this country & the problem is it raised the bike's height too much. Better stick to Pulsars. I haven't seen any issues by changing the suspensions, infact the ride is way too good & very much noticable in positive aspect now.

Quote:

I am thinking of following changes:
4. 17" wheel (for much better tire options)
7. And may be... clip ons

4. You may want to consider sevaral other things when you go in for 17" wheels. IMO, stick with 18" especially when the front & rear suspensions are being changed; 7. with clipons you're bound to have the steering feeling too heavy, so its better to avoid & stick with regular handle bars, probably you can go in for bar ends to avoid vibrations.

Quote:

My problem is that.. I don't want to alter the basic shape/look of the bike while doing all these changes.

Very true; couldn't agree more

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1750147)
Most of the Bajaj's are direct fit; I run on Discover 135's twin springs that has raised the height by half an inch & my friend's on Pulsar's. However the Apache's rear susp are best in this country & the problem is it raised the bike's height too much. Better stick to Pulsars. I haven't seen any issues by changing the suspensions, infact the ride is way too good & very much noticable in positive aspect now.

My concern with raising rear is that it will change the handling characteristics of bike. But if its just half an inch then going for a lower profile tire (100/80 vs 100/90) can solve the problem. This is a good news. Do you know how much Pulsar gas shocks cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1750147)
4. You may want to consider sevaral other things when you go in for 17" wheels. IMO, stick with 18" especially when the front & rear suspensions are being changed; 7. with clipons you're bound to have the steering feeling too heavy, so its better to avoid & stick with regular handle bars, probably you can go in for bar ends to avoid vibrations.

I know, going for 17" implies going for alloys, I doubt if we have spocked rims easily available in that size. And alloys may spoil the original looks.

Same with clip-ons, I would like to put them on and see how the look is affected. Only after that, I will take the call.

Any ways, we are discussing about V12's build here, and I don't want to hijack his thread.

Thanks vabs. Yes I guess it would be appreciated if we discuss this bike here since the rebuild options vary from user to user.

Vabs, We could have another thread for your rebuild and discuss and share points in both the thread so as to avoid confusion. Am looking forward to your rebuild as well.

All, Thanks for all your valuable inputs. Am going through each post thoroughly and respond on our decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 1749941)
Hi vabs, Its gonna be a stock upgrade. But now that you have mentioned gas shock absorbers - you've got me thinking in a different angle. The work hasnt started yet, but the chasis and engine have been washed and cleaned off all dirt and grime - so its ready to go for a paint job.

What would be the cost of gas shock absorbers? If the difference between Gabriel and gas shocks is not much, it would be better to go for gas ones.

The cost difference is not too much; Cost of twin springs are about 1300 a pair & gas filled costs more than twin springs; Gabriels may cost max of Rs 1000.

Perfect timing of this thread for me. Me too thinking of Rebuilding Friend's RX135. Have no knowledge for this but still very much interested. This thread will help me a lot.

I am hooked :)

Price in Chennai for Nitrox (Pulsar rear suspension) - Rs 1380. MRP - Rs 1500

Here is a list of parts (and some prices) we plan to replace:

Going to be quite a task and quite expensive. The papers do not mention if its a 135 or RXG. It just says Year: 1996 and Displacement: 132cc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 1751570)
Here is a list of parts (and some prices) we plan to replace:
  • Battery - Approx 1k
  • Regulator/Rectifier - Rs 180
  • Headlight - Rs 220
  • Headlight brackets
  • Taillight - Rs 95
  • Indicators - Rs 360
  • Rear Sprocket
  • Front Fibre Mudguard - Rs 200??
  • May paint the rear mudguard black
  • Tyres
  • Tank - Rs 1150
  • Side Panels - Rs 250
  • Cone Set - Rs 170
  • Speedometer Set - Rs 650
  • Footrest assembly rod with rubbers - Rs 200??
  • Rear footpegs
  • Brake Switches
  • Original Silencer - Rs 1100
  • Backrest Rod

As I've been purchasing these parts since 2 months, I thought to provide in some comments, though it may or may not be helpful to you :)
- 12V Battery costs max 750 unless you're determined to use higher amps that costs about 1040
- Original CDI costs about 500+; Swiss makes it for 160
- I couldn't understand what os headlight brackets? Is it the two side chrome part that you're referring? If it is, then the MRP is 101. Pls help understand.
- Taillamp assy of Minda costs about Rs 250, Lumax about 180 (bought 2 days back); Quality of Minda is way too better than Lumax
- Indicators - perfect price of 90 each from Minda
- Rear sprockets should cost about 360 I guess (not sure)
- Front fibre mudguard??? I think you're refering to the plastic front mudguard in the rear right? MRP 65.80
- Tyres - 2.50 18 costs around 900 & 2.75 18 costed 1100 (a year back with typre & tube)
- Tank - I think I paid around 3K for original Rx100 about 6 months back
- Side panels - one side costs 333 & other 246 (MRP) - this is without the both the emblems)
- Cone set - If you're refering this in the T-stem, then the price is around 360 MRP
- Speedometer - OE Rx100 is 472
- Rear Footrest assy - MRP around 150 both L&R
- Brake switches - Are you referring to the Minda switches in the left handle bar? Price around is 470 MRP
- Original Silencer - MRP 1570
- Front footrest assy & Backrest rod - Not sure; I've the price written elsewhere

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 1750528)
Thanks vabs. Yes I guess it would be appreciated if we discuss this bike here since the rebuild options vary from user to user.

Vabs, We could have another thread for your rebuild and discuss and share points in both the thread so as to avoid confusion. Am looking forward to your rebuild as well.

I understand, there could hell of a confusion and the thread could entirely loose focus.

My build is still some time away, I am still looking for good shop who can do the work for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 1751570)
  • Front Brake and Clutch Lever - Rs 120??

Is it possible to put aluminum levers like on RTR? I think they will look very good. Same goes with foot rests.

wow another restoration. I think RX is the most modified or restored bike in India. Happy to have one.

I think gas shock will be good.
wont higher rating battery need rewinding the alternator.