Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 00:36   #1
Team-BHP Support

Stomp grip - A pictorial

Here is a short Stomp Grip application narration with pictures. Excuse the picture quality, I always tend to forget having my camera around for this kind of stuff.
Even though I'm very skeptical about hitting the track, I was hoping the stomp grip would assist even through the weekend and bumpy city rides. Yet hafta' have a proper post application experience though as I haven' ridden over a couple of kilometers since then.
My cousin had messed up the grips for his Hayabusa while applying it, and the result was indeed a very bubbly tank looking like it was packed in some flimsy plastic.
Hence, I was very hesitant at first to apply the same (had it tucked away for a few weeks), till I came across the instruction leaflet, and I was almost sure my cousin had not followed the same.

So took the plunge.

The hardware, a bottle of clean water, dish washing detergent, sponge and the stomp grips. Decided on the dish washing detergent as the automobile shampoo stuff does not get rid of surface wax which needs to go for a bubble free application.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-1.jpg

Both sides of a dusty tank of a bike just back from a weekend ride. The picture quality doesn't really help in judging just how not so clean the tank was.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-2.jpg

Stomp grip - A pictorial-3.jpg

Shampooing the tank in the area of the grip application, did that two rounds over, and did not repeat a third time as my palm was aching from the hard scrubbing in the first two rounds.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-4.jpg

Stomp grip - A pictorial-5.jpg

Stomp grip - A pictorial-6.jpg

Both sides of the tank, all cleaned up and shining in the Sun.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-7.jpg

Stomp grip - A pictorial-8.jpg

The instruction leaflet and other online reviews suggest having the grip and the tank at high temperature for optimum application. Using a blow dryer is recommended.

Hence, I let the grips be on the rood of my car while I shampooed the tank, by now the temperature on those could be termed warm, but nothing close to being hot.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-9.jpg

Blow drying the grips.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-10.jpg

Blow drying the tank.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-11.jpg

Ideally one is supposed to blow dry for a short while to bring the grip and the tank to a reasonably high temperature.

Once this is done position the grip onto the tank, and see where you’d ideally have it to get maximum grip. This is easier when the grip is a size cut for your motorcycle, the universal ones take some more focus at time of positioning. Its always a good thing to use a marking in this step, something I figured much later.

Once the marking is done, its showdown time, begin peeling off at the narrow end, and only an inch at a time, this because the adhesive is super sticky at those high temperature, and you wouldn’t want any wrinkles on the surface.
While applying, start pressing between the bead heads on the surface to keep out bubbles, this is the most tedious task in the application, and exactly where you could do with extra set of hands (exact words from what I read on another blog). Fortunately for me I had known about this, so kept one of the security guards around to help.

Left side grip applied and done with.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-12.jpg

Right side grip applied and sort of slightly messed up. Notice the few mm I’ve gone wide on the broader end. This could have developed bubbles in future, hence had it trimmed while I was at the garage last weekend. Didn’t want to take a chances scraping paint off while trimming the grip myself.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-13s.jpg

Another shot of both the sides all applied and done with.

Stomp grip - A pictorial-14s.jpg

Stomp grip - A pictorial-15.jpg

A few poser shots.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 3408
Size:  42.0 KB

Stomp grip - A pictorial-17.jpg

Stomp grip - A pictorial-18s.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th February 2010 at 12:25. Reason: Included Pics within Text
Old 26th February 2010, 00:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

Post application of the Stomp Grip, one is not supposed to ride for a minimum of 24 hours, and it takes about 3 days for the adhesive to gain maximum hold. So I parked the 954 in the Sun, and let it be in the same spot for a couple of days, and asked the washing guy to take care and not wet the tank over the next three days.
Leave you guys with some more pictures, you’ve probably seen similar pictures of the same bike over and over again in the thread, but its that feeling that I can’t get over anytime I see any of my vehicles, irrespective of how ordinary they may seem to others.
My cousin got yellow Stomp Grip stickers for his Hayabusa in his package, while I struck gold with almost colour coded red ones for my Fireblade
Attached Thumbnails
Stomp grip - A pictorial-21s.jpg  

Stomp grip - A pictorial-23.jpg  

Stomp grip - A pictorial-24.jpg  

Stomp grip - A pictorial-25.jpg  

Stomp grip - A pictorial-26.jpg  

Old 26th February 2010, 01:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Brief product knowledge & advantages of the Stomp grip as mentioned on .:xBhp: The Global Indian Biking Community:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirenmistry View Post
Hey Manson,
Pardon my ignorance but what is a stomp grip? Whats its use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

I do not fall in this category just yet, but the primrary use of the extra grip from the Stomp grips is at time of hanging off the bike whilst cornering. Imagine hanging off the bike with the knee on a well finished painted surface, and imagine doing the same while having your knee in contact on a grippy surface.
At time of hard braking, one tends to lose grip on the knees (on either side of the tank), and slip ahead due to the smooth finished surface of the tank. The Stomp grip lets you grip your knees on both sidesof the tank which effectively provides more body control at times of heavy braking, etc.
Another intended use for me is to avoid squishing my jewels everytime through a bump en route a city commute.
Just bumped into someone a while back who indicated that the Stomp would even assist at time of slow riding through heavy traffic which usually makes most of the surface on both sides of the bike reasonably hot.

Hope this helps, for more details you could possibly try searching for the same on google.
Old 26th February 2010, 06:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Post application of the Stomp Grip, one is not supposed to ride for a minimum of 24 hours, and it takes about 3 days for the adhesive to gain maximum hold. So I parked the 954 in the Sun, and let it be in the same spot for a couple of days, and asked the washing guy to take care and not wet the tank over the next three days.
3 days
in the sun, hope the paint isn't flaked
^what is your commuting mode then?
Quote:
Leave you guys with some more pictures, you’ve probably seen similar pictures of the same bike over and over again in the thread, but its that feeling that I can’t get over anytime I see any of my vehicles, irrespective of how ordinary they may seem to others.
A thing of beauty is joy forever
Old 26th February 2010, 10:16   #5
BANNED

It looks like bubble wrap sticking to the tank.

I am no superbike rider but are the benefits so much better with this?
Old 26th February 2010, 12:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excellant DIY, Thanks for sharing with his Manson

I think this has one more use other than what its meant to be, I see de-coloration happening on my bikes in the same area where these grips are put & I think it would help in avoiding his de-coloration too.

How do these cost? Where do you get these?
Old 26th February 2010, 23:47   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
3 days
in the sun, hope the paint isn't flaked
^what is your commuting mode then?
Naada, no flakes or anything of that. I'm guessing it takes a little more than just three days for that stuff to begin.
The daily commute is my Scorpio man, the 954 is far from being an able daily ride. That is CBR 600 F territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A thing of beauty is joy forever
Thanks, and guess what the beaury for a detailed wash & wax job earlier today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
It looks like bubble wrap sticking to the tank.

I am no superbike rider but are the benefits so much better with this?
Lol, yes it does kind of look like a bubble wrap, but slightly better in person. The other colour option is a black which is ideal for motorcycles with a single clean paint scheme, not with graphics.
The advantages I have only read about, got to see how it comes along over the next few months and I'll know if it was worth the time and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Excellant DIY, Thanks for sharing with his Manson

I think this has one more use other than what its meant to be, I see de-coloration happening on my bikes in the same area where these grips are put & I think it would help in avoiding his de-coloration too.

How do these cost? Where do you get these?
Thanks for editing the post Techno, appreciate it.
The Stomp cost me in the range of 2K including shipping. They are easily available on eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices, I got mine from www.sportbiketrackgear.com though as I was ordering a bunch of other stuff for my cousin from them.
Stomp has stocks for most new and other common motorcycles.
For the others they have a universal kit, which you can custom cut to your tank.

manson.
Old 27th February 2010, 00:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've not seen these being used on street bikes, but a friend's track bike had these. He used to put the stripes on all his bikes (including off-roader/ATVs). He swore by the thing, giving him a lot of assistance in being able to squeeze his legs on the tank when having to brake hard. I'd personally find this more of a hindrance, but if it helps, why not put em on!.
Old 27th February 2010, 07:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

I rode the bike day before and they are super sticky. They were holding on to my jeans even though I wasn't really trying to hold the tank.
Old 27th February 2010, 08:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I rode the bike day before and they are super sticky. They were holding on to my jeans even though I wasn't really trying to hold the tank.
is it? then a
Old 29th June 2010, 18:31   #11
BHPian

that must feel nice, plus it also protects the paint on the tank. i must order for my baby Ninja!
Old 29th June 2010, 18:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
that must feel nice, plus it also protects the paint on the tank. i must order for my baby Ninja!
Ohh more than that if you are a lighter person and break hard at times. It can become a saver for the future generations to come as well. Nuts anyone ?
Old 29th June 2010, 23:58   #13
BHPian

How much does this cost ?
How do we order it ?
Old 30th June 2010, 00:05   #14
BANNED

A nice DIY job.

As the name suggests, It might help in increasing the knee grip while riding, also protects paint.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

OT--Where are manson and S6 nowadays?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks