Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 22:26   #1
BHPian

Weird problem with P200

I own a Pulsar 200 which I got in August 2008.
For more than a year, I usually had it refueled even before it hit reserve. It ran fine for full one year. No problems, nothing.

:Enters the Drama:
A few months back, whenever my bike hit Reserve, it gave me a weird problem. It ran with some hiccups below 4000 RPM, but whenever I tried taking it over 4k RPM, it would lose power completely. If I tried throttling over 4k RPM, the engine would start dying instead. So only option I was left with was to run with half clutch. This problem was sorted out upon refuel though.
Now the problem got a bit messy.
Yesterday night, while I was returning home, I felt loss of power at frequent intervals. Sometimes at full throttle it would accelerate, sometimes nothing and at times accelerate and sudden loss. The fuel was close to reserve level, I had switched to reserve on the Fuel Switch though.

Today I started my bike. As I released the throttle first time, I judged by the sound that I would be an unlucky man today. I decided to pull the choke first. To my surprise, instead of the steady throttle, the engine died. I started it again, this time choke kicked in. But I could not go beyond 4k RPM. If i tried, it would return back to 1-2k RPM. First thing I did was visit the fuel station. Got it refueled for 200 Bucks. Earlier on, the problem would get solved immediately after refueling but this time it persisted. I used the bike for some 2 km then parked it. After an hour, I again went on a ride, it was still giving me the same problem. After driving in this state for almost 4 km, I could release full throttle. Finally I could speed up my bike decently.

I am paying the Agency a visit within a day or two, but I really want to know what the problem is.

TL;DR?
Whenever reserve kicks in, bike starts losing power if I try to throttle above 4k RPM.

History of Bike:
Haven't met with an accident so far. *Touchwood*
Goes to the Bajaj Agency every 3 months. A major minor alternative service routine.
No modifications.
No additional oil or lubricant.
When I pull the choke, the throttle is constant at 4k RPM.

The fuel station at which I get my bike refueled is a very reputed one, so I do not suspect bad petrol.

Help Dear BHPians.

P.S.- I am overdose's younger brother, didn't want to make a new account :-D
Old 27th February 2010, 22:52   #2
BHPian

hey i think it could be a problem with the carb or the spark plugs. how long has it been since you got them cleaned(because A.S.S do not usually clean them properly unless you complain of issues relating to them). Get both of them cleaned once and get the spark plug clearance adjusted then see what happens.

just my 2 cents

Regards
rocky
Old 27th February 2010, 23:04   #3
BHPian

Well, I let the service people do their job in peace. I haven't complained them of anything except loose breaking and minor stuff. Another guy told me it can be the Fuel Injection problem.
But why does this happen only above 4k and only in reserve?
Old 27th February 2010, 23:11   #4
BHPian

The pulsar 200 is not fuel injected. its has Carburettor UCAL MIKUNI BS29. So who ever told you its a problem with fuel injection does not have a clue about it. It might happen because as you acclerate above 4k rpm the engine requires more fuel and the jets may be clogged in the carb to not allow more than some amount of fuel to flow . What happens in reserve is the dirt that might have accumulated in the fuel tank at the bottom might get drawn into the carb through the fuel tap filter and clog the carb. And since you told this time it happened even after fueling i think the is the main suspect.

Regards
rocky

Last edited by rocky080 : 27th February 2010 at 23:21.
Old 27th February 2010, 23:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Did your bike got wet or did you ride it in rain ? , there might me water in carb or even the fuel tank itself .
Water is heavy and sits at the bottom of the tank and the carb float.
Drain the carb at the bottom by turning the drain screw and see if you have any water .

Apart from this , the diaphragm in the carb might be out of shape and needs to be changed .
Old 27th February 2010, 23:37   #6
BHPian

Yes, I wash my bike often. It was once every week for the first year. Now it's twice a month. I washed my bike today also. :X
Old 27th February 2010, 23:55   #7
BHPian

AFAIK you would not be able to ride your bike if it had water in the tank(i could be wrong). Because on my bike when there was water in the tank the bike would acclerate in neutral with missing, but when i shifted and tried to move the rpm would drop suddenly and i was not able to ride it.

regards
rocky
Old 28th February 2010, 14:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
What happens in reserve is the dirt that might have accumulated in the fuel tank at the bottom might get drawn into the carb through the fuel tap filter and clog the carb
I agree with rocky. most probably clogged main jet, if even small dust particles get into the carb reservoir, they can clog the main jet which will reduce the fuelling especially when higher fuelling is demanded from the engine..
damaged diaphragm is a little unlikely as the bike would not be able to rev at all; the slider wont move up coz no vacuum would be generated. besides, the problem seems related to the reserve...
I would suggest cleaning the tank, fuel tap and carb thoroughly, should solve the problem unless there is any other major issue...
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:51   #9
BHPian

So I went to the agency to get this problem fixed. I had a periodic service too.
The service advisor told me that there would have been some air building up in the reserve outlet, and they would fix it. When I asked the guy who serviced it, he just asked me not to worry. Let's see if this has been fixed or not. :>
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:03   #10
BANNED

seems like a case of dirt struck in reserve inlet inside the fuel tank! Fuel cock has two saperate openings,one for reserve and one for main,while main being about 2cm higher than reseve one,i looks like a mini snorkel! unscrew your fuel cock clean,i am sure you will file dirt inside
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
seems like a case of dirt struck in reserve inlet inside the fuel tank! Fuel cock has two saperate openings,one for reserve and one for main,while main being about 2cm higher than reseve one,i looks like a mini snorkel! unscrew your fuel cock clean,i am sure you will file dirt inside
Finally a convincing answer!!
Old 5th March 2010, 13:27   #12
BHPian

The problem is back now, visiting the agency once again tomorrow. Screw Bajaj people. -.-
Old 5th March 2010, 13:59   #13
BHPian

I had this problem once on my old gen pulsar.It started a year after i bought the bike.As soon as i turn the cork to res it used to jerk, sputter and ultimately stop.The RMP also behaved in a similar manner.What I did was:-

1.Emptied the entire contents of the fuel tank.U'd be surprised how much dirt and metal particles can collect at the bottom.

2.Get the petrol cork removed and cleaned as Dustom mentioned.

Dont think theres a problem with the carb as the bike runs fine if not in reserve.
Also consider filling fuel from a different bunk.
Old 6th March 2010, 21:12   #14
BHPian

I again visited the service center, this time with fuel level 1 litre above the quantity where the problem starts.
First thing I asked them to do was to take out approx 1 litre and take a test drive.
When the mechanic took out 1 litre, I was surprised to see water mixed with petrol.
He took a test drive and told me that water in the petrol tank was the cause of the problem.
After an hour, the mechanics calls me and shows how much water I had in my tank.
3 LITRES!!! You read it right.
Petrol was approx 2.5 litre while water in the tank was close to 3 litres.
The service advisor pointed out the problem with the fuel tank lid. Asked me not to wash that area too much.

Thanks Fellas :-D

Last edited by overdose14 : 6th March 2010 at 21:13. Reason: Hurr Durr :D

Most Viewed