Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 22:24   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
So i need to rev it to the full?
But i'm bit worried about resetting it as setting it too low can harm the engine. The problem with mine is that it emits smoke; believe me - it emits like a gas gun; when started from cold. As the engine heats up it reduces. Also the battery is flat so requires a lot of kicks. The engine also sounds hoarse and hesitates to be revved till it is warm.
I'm on the lookout for a good mechanic who can restore the mechanicals & suspension.
When I say rev it to full, I just mean do that while the engine is off and twist the throttle. This task is to only ascertain the current setting for the oil pump.

At full throttle position, the pump needle should be either meet the reference point on the chassis (means the oil pump setting is perfect as normal) or should cross the reference mark (Pump is set to let more oil than normal) or lastly, it still has some space left before the needle meets the reference point (Oil pump setting is low).

Set the pump setting accordingly.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 12:58   #62
BHPian

Thanks Parag,
Will set the same ASAP. Also can you let me know the spark plug gap as i have lost the Manual?
Old 19th October 2011, 14:27   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag,
Will set the same ASAP. Also can you let me know the spark plug gap as i have lost the Manual?
0.9-1.0mm is the standard setting.
Also, the Air Screw Setting for the carburetor is 1.75 Turns from its fully tight position.
Apart from this, try revving the engine after doing the above setting and ensuring that the Air Filter is cleaned too. If it hesitates to revv beyond a certain RPM and is coughing, there could also be a clogged silencer as well.

Remember,for Kinetic Honda before Y2K series, it was always a good practice to get the Silencer/Muffler opened and get the soot/carbon deposits removed and seal that again using Gas welding. This practice is good enough twice before you can call the silencer's end of life.

The above practice significantly improves the power delivery which is seamless and hence improves the fuel economy as well.

If you can manage to get the following items checked and replaced with OEM parts, your Kine should be back in shape:
1. Clutch and Bell (Cover) assembly.
2. Transmission system rollers (Check for these Bakelite rollers to have lost its cylindrical shape and look for edge formation)
3. Belt - Usually, the original one (Brando) is good enough for even a lakh Kilometers

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th October 2011 at 14:30.
Old 19th October 2011, 14:33   #64
BHPian

Thanks Parag,
You have any idea about the original 'Brando' belt?
Also i need to replace the front & Rear Shock absorbers? What could be the cost?
Old 19th October 2011, 15:13   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag,
You have any idea about the original 'Brando' belt?
Also i need to replace the front & Rear Shock absorbers? What could be the cost?
I guess it was Bando and not Brando as I could recall that again. The belt used to cost 400-450 INR way back in 2001 after which I still haven't replaced the Belt at all.

Shock-absorbers should cost 650-700 for the front pair and about 400 for the rear (Single piece).
In case you plan to replace them, please ensure to also replace the front Shock absorber Bushes (around 80INR), Pivot Arm bushes for front (around 150 INR) and 2 bushes for the rear strut as well.
Old 21st October 2011, 10:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

We had 2 in our family, one was a 1994 zx, my brother's and my dad's 1996zx which is still slogging for me with very little maintenance. I cannot digest the looks and feel of the new scooters. Only once the engine was re-bored due to my negligence to top uo the oil reservoir. The KH is very nimble and easy to maneuver. And the riding position is also great compared to the modern scooters. The KH revolutionized the 2 wheeler industry in India with it's awesome power and it was also the first with an electric start, the second one came years after(correct me if i am wrong here). I think LML had a ES.

Major -ves were
1. Poor Suspension
2. Kerosene lamp Headlights
3. Brakes
4. Unbelievable cost of spares
Old 24th October 2011, 12:28   #67
BHPian

Hello Parag,
I have opened the side covers and now can see the oil pump setting as described by you. However, i cannot find any mark on the chassis. I cleaned it but i am still not able to figure out.
Can you describe it precisely where the marking is?
The adjustment procedure is very simple as i figured out. The pin stays in the closed position on idle at present so i dont think there is problem with oil pump setting. Could it be the whole pump gone 'Kaput'?
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

Two days back my first hand Jan '96 Kinetic Honda DX engine got seized. So after the inspection of my 1996 Kinetic Honda DX, the engine got seized because of no engine oil pumped into it. Even though the engine oil(Shell) was full, because of garbage(whatever) it got choked and end result being seizure.

I have two options either to buy a new piston and use the same block. A new piston costs Rs 380 of Sam/USHA make, no way Kinetic to be found. Than the old block needs to be re-bored which is additional Rs. 700.
The other option being buy a new block with piston costing Rs. 1700, Kinetic made. So decided to go with the later option. What do you all suggest.

The crank rod needs to be replaced and if possible the whole crank shaft. Seals, bearing on crankshaft, engine belt, rear brake pads, etc and what not.
Its gonna be a major overhaul. Need suggestion if anyone has ever overhauled his/her Kinetic Honda DX. This two wheeler is special and will always will be there with me. Finding parts is becoming quite cumbersome.
Even planning to change the metal parts aka body as its all rusted, so any idea where I could get a new body in Mumbai. My Kinetic's color is black and will remain black.
Any suggestion, advice will be helpful.
Regards,
Rohaan.

Note: Sorry mods for re-posting, but this thread seemed more appropriate.
Old 21st November 2011, 01:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Surprised that engine parts are not as expensive as the other parts. Also good to know that these spares are still available. As for the body, lookout for an expired KH somewhere and swap it's body parts if in good shape. There are quite a few here.
Old 10th December 2011, 20:20   #70
BHPian

Found this thread to approriate for my recent find.
Found this KH on my recent trip to a market where bikes are sold and purchased.
This may be a early model kinetic honda called Honda spacy 80.
Attached Thumbnails
Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!-pc090720.jpg  

Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!-pc090718.jpg  

Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!-pc090717.jpg  

Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!-pc090716.jpg  

Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!-pc090715.jpg  

Old 14th December 2011, 16:15   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Need suggestion if anyone has ever overhauled his/her Kinetic Honda DX.
Just last month had a minor overhaul of my '95 KiHo. Changed the piston rings, renewed the crank gear-oil pump, changed rear shock absorber, muffler cleaned, spark plug replaced, changed the drive belt etc. Cost me Rs. 4,000/-

I saw an old Red Kinetic 2 months back here in Ahmedabad which i still cannot forget. It was the original Red colour that used to be there when it was launched in the 80s. It was a re-paint of the original shade but it looked CLASSIC. The guy riding it was all decked up with a sporty helmet, gloves etc. Really charged me up to go for the Red colour. Mine is still the original Black shade but will when it needs a re-paint it will surely be RED.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just last month had a minor overhaul of my '95 KiHo. Changed the piston rings, renewed the crank gear-oil pump, changed rear shock absorber, muffler cleaned, spark plug replaced, changed the drive belt etc. Cost me Rs. 4,000/-
Well as my engine got seized because of no engine oil being supplied to engine. As the engine was bored twice so didn't want to get it done for the reason of loss of fuel efficiency and piston available not being Kinetic.
Finally changed the engine block which also comes with the piston. All original Kinetic(now made by Mahindra). So genuine parts went in and changed the bearings, gasket , etc. Total damage was Rs. 5800 including everything.
Getting a FE of 34 kmpl which is respectable for spirited usage. Earlier it was delivering close to 30 kmpl.
Service is due this week would be getting it done and let you all know about it.
Mine KiHo too needs a repaint but don't have the time to devote to it. Would even need to get the chassis repainted too as it has developed rust. It needs a major overhaul. But for the time being it is doing fine.
Old 29th January 2012, 22:39   #73
BHPian

Could anybody suggest a good Kinetic Honda workshop in Trivandrum?
Its time for some serious work both inside and outside for my 1993 Kinetic Honda.
Old 30th January 2012, 10:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

Guys, while repairing these kind of two-strokes that have a separate oil tank, always ensure the mechanic is knowledgeable. In some of the bikes the mark in the oil pump will have to align with the mark in it's outer frame when the throttle is fully open. And in some others the same marks will have to align with each other when the throttle is fully closed. IIRC Ind-Suzuki was of the former type and the KB-100 the latter. It will be better to refer to the manual and ensure they have followed the method while adjusting.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:26   #75
BHPian

I am one of the breed - passionate about the good old KH, just cannot get enough of it. Mine is a Y2K - 2000 model and this is the second one in my life the first one was a 1992 which I sold like a fool. Done is done, now one thing which has really annoyed me about this Y2K is its silencer, too low and hits even big stones. After 11 years I have had enough of it and want to get a serious workable solution for it. The easy one is retrofit a old silencer which came before the Y2K [that was the best], or - I have been inspired from this thread on cars where they have installed coil spring adjusters on the rear spring coils. And it works well all the low scraping cars do not scrap the bumps any more, even my KH is like those luxury cars, it scrapes everywhere. Wondering if it will work on the rear mono shock of KH. Take a look at this thread to get a fair idea.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks