Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 11:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Just fit it on the crash gaurd. Best place, stays hidden.
Old 6th March 2010, 11:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Just fit it on the crash gaurd. Best place, stays hidden.
Helmet lock on your crash guard is calling for disaster!!Imagine what could happen if someone falls when riding the bike.There is a possibility of it hurting your knee.

Ideal place would be to fix it on the rear .

Best suggestion would be to carry the helmet with you...keeping it in the open would mean the helmet getting damaged by rain,dust and other people who have this tendency to fiddle with things in the parking lot .Also ,in tight public parking slots ,I have seen helmets damaged when people try getting off their bikes and end up unintentionally kicking the visor or the helmet on the other bike .
Old 6th March 2010, 12:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Helmet lock on your crash guard is calling for disaster!!Imagine what could happen if someone falls when riding the bike.There is a possibility of it hurting your knee.

Ideal place would be to fix it on the rear .

Best suggestion would be to carry the helmet with you...keeping it in the open would mean the helmet getting damaged by rain,dust and other people who have this tendency to fiddle with things in the parking lot .Also ,in tight public parking slots ,I have seen helmets damaged when people try getting off their bikes and end up unintentionally kicking the visor or the helmet on the other bike .
No, nothing like that, i had my helmet lock on my crash guard, have fallen 3-4 times, and have never hurt my knee because of the helmet lock, if you can get hurt by the helmet lock, you can also get hurt by the crash guard itself, rest depends on the positioning of the lock, i hardly used it as my helmet does not fit in the lock anymore. If it is a reasonable helmet(>1500rs) no one will bother to fiddle with it, unless someone wants to steal it, which he wont be able to.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:07   #19
Team-BHP Support

@aarge-- i have replied you here--
else we would be going OT
Old 6th March 2010, 20:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
@Speedsatya - Man, I never expected a reply from you like this;
Riding a bike with helmet locked on the crash bar instead of your head itself is a big disaster. If you didn't mean that, then the pic below is what I recommend & I don't see a disaster
Attached Thumbnails
Where to put the helmet lock?-p1.jpg  

Old 6th March 2010, 21:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Riding a bike with helmet locked on the crash bar instead of your head itself is a big disaster. If you didn't mean that, then the pic below is what I recommend & I don't see a disaster
+1 , that is exactly what i mean to say, this is the perfect position.
Old 6th March 2010, 22:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Uhh aargee, you've misquoted him. He said that the helmet lock and not the helmet can hurt you when you fall. But, anyways, I never ever take my bike out without a helmet. And yes, I got it fixed on the left hand side leg guard (the upper rod) to prevent it from fouling on hard corners
Old 7th March 2010, 09:58   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Boy, it doesn't cost 40K on a helmet; Genuine Arai/Shoei starts from 2.5-3K & goes up, but not till 40K. Probably a decent set of riding gears put together could cost 40K or more.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1769053-post172.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1768329-post167.html
Old 7th March 2010, 19:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sheel, I don't intend to argue or OT here; I know several people buying Arai from one of the reputed helmet shop in Chennai for around 3K & I personally intend to buy one; If I get one around for that price, I'll post the bill here
Old 7th March 2010, 22:15   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sheel, I don't intend to argue or OT here; I know several people buying Arai from one of the reputed helmet shop in Chennai for around 3K & I personally intend to buy one; If I get one around for that price, I'll post the bill here
regarding all your helmet answer/queries, there already is a dedicated helmet thread, please reply/post there
and i have replied you there itself
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...t-78-a-12.html
Old 8th March 2010, 13:48   #26
BHPian

Back to topic

There are two positions which I have witnessed till now:
1) On the grab rail near the end of the seat.
2)On the crash guard.

For first option always use the Helmet lock which can lock two helmets together.There are two varieties again available in this segment.One in which it will allow your helmet to rest on the seat and remain locked at the same time. Other variety is one where your helmet is in a horizontal position instead of Upright position.In this the helmet visor comes in contact with your tail light. Often the visor breaks due to this or sometimes the tail light breaks when you drive your bike with the helmet locked. The 1st variety is useful when you drive for short distances with your helmet locked ,very useful while driving for short span in malls,markets.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Amit to have put things back in track.
What bike do you have? If you remember, ppl used to put a straight bar connecting both handle bars especially with RX & Shogun. If you're concerned about your helmet very much, you may opt for one of those setup & can have your helmet locks on those bars.

Where to put the helmet lock?-p1.jpg
Old 8th March 2010, 22:31   #28
Team-BHP Support

see if this is of some help
Cramster - Travel Gear For The Restless : Motorcycle Luggage, Saddlebags, Magnetic Tankbags, Riding Gear - Jacket, Gloves, Backpacks...
Old 10th March 2010, 21:50   #29
BHPian

@aargee: I have a six year old TVS Victor often used for touring in and around Mumbai/Pune-Not a speed racer but quite comfortable for long drives. The location what you have shown never occured to me,thanks for it. But I think for the best position for a costly helmet should be to rest it properly on the seat in the vertical upright position and lock it.(This can be done only when you dont have a pillion)The seat cushion helps to avoid any damage to the helmet and also at the same time the vertical upright position avoids any damage to the visor or tail light(as earlier described in my last post).The helmet doesnot rattle also. About the wire based locks they come to work only when the bike is at rest otherwise the helmet will be damaged in no time if one drives with it locked to the bike by a wire lock.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:22   #30
BHPian

Best position for the helmet when riding - would be on the head, right?
even for a short duration, when you already have a helmet what is the point in locking it to the vehicle and riding it? I often see people with helmets on their elbows etc, I have even asked them at signals, that do they think their elbows are more important than their heads?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks