Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2010, 23:24   #1
BHPian

Pulsar 180 is it worth the money

Hi Buddies,

I'm so used this site now, i have been raving about all the good things on this site..that i have all my friends asking for advice on what to buy and what not to buy.

Now lets get serious. My Brother here wants to buy a new bike for myself after having used HH Glamour for 5 years now. HH Glamour was a stunning bike back then...now its ageing fast...he wants to get a bike that is strong, powerful & Sturdy and easy to Maintain.

Pulsar is the bike of his choice right now. .would it be the best bike..or should he try another bike. Now my brother is 5 11 a little heavy build, so apache was ruled out. Now apart from Pulsar 180 are there more options out there.Need your advice.

Thanks & Regards
Krishna
Old 14th March 2010, 00:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

What are your requirements? And budget?

U still have the FZ 16 in that price band.
Old 14th March 2010, 00:14   #3
BHPian

The Pulsar is a very good choice. The only drawback might be that it's common, probably too common. If that's not an issue, you can go for it. It's got adequate power, looks and is sturdy. You could have a look at the FZ as well, or the CBZ extreme.
Old 14th March 2010, 00:46   #4
BHPian

Powerful, Sturdy and easy to maintain huh?

If you have the money, go for a ZMA(ZMR).

The P180 is good, but if you buy it, you will be lost in the crowd coz its very common.

And im not too fond of bajaj engines because they dont perform well or sound that good after a good 2 yrs or so.

The FZ is a good street bike if your bro only looks to ride within the city.
You cant expect it to blitz the highway with its performance coz the top end speed is not that great, but its fun to ride and maintenance free.

Another option is the GS150R.
Im not too fond of it, coz it looks too plain and boring.
But its got 6 gears and lotsa fancy kit to keep you interested.
Old 14th March 2010, 01:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
Powerful, Sturdy and easy to maintain huh?

If you have the money, go for a ZMA(ZMR).

The P180 is good, but if you buy it, you will be lost in the crowd coz its very common.

And im not too fond of bajaj engines because they dont perform well or sound that good after a good 2 yrs or so.

The FZ is a good street bike if your bro only looks to ride within the city.
You cant expect it to blitz the highway with its performance coz the top end speed is not that great, but its fun to ride and maintenance free.

Another option is the GS150R.
Im not too fond of it, coz it looks too plain and boring.
But its got 6 gears and lotsa fancy kit to keep you interested.
First of all, are you buying the bike or is it 'krishnavamshi24' ?

If it is 'krishnavamshi24' , Ur fondness need not come into the picture here.

I own a three year old Pulsar maintained in top notch condition, it still runs as new. Just the periodic services done. It is dumb of people to pass comments like "a particular brand engine will die out after 2 years" etc.

@krishnavamshi24, I would say have a test ride of all the bikes you have shortlisted and then decide.
Old 14th March 2010, 10:15   #6
BHPian

He could go for the Honda Unicorn -- it seems a perfect commuter bike for a big guy: reliable, powerful, good FE, and long-lasting. The older models looked terribly boring, but the new ones look much much better, especially in black, IMHO. A sports model is being released soon (check the recent thread on this), which looks splendid.
Old 14th March 2010, 15:18   #7
BANNED

You can go for P180 with eyes closed. Also the other options are Apache 180/P220 S
Old 14th March 2010, 15:18   #8
BHPian

Ya, it is worth the money. Since it's been here for a long time, why don't you check out other bikes in its class?
Old 14th March 2010, 20:31   #9
BHPian

@ Driv3r

Dude, my bro had a '02 P180.

It was probably the least reliable bike we ever had and the irony was that during the same period he owned it, he was working for Bajaj.

We had a bad experience with the gear box, and had to replace the crank shaft lever twice(god knows what that is).

He maintained it pretty well.

And far worse is the case for a friend of mine, whos got a P200.

You got to admit the fact that these issues are not random.

And i expressed my views abt the Pulsar and not forcing the chap against buying the bike.

No offense, but do take comments in the right spirit.

Cheers!
Old 15th March 2010, 14:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

If he is a bit heavily built, and is looking at a big bike feel, get the P220 S if you dont mind the looks being similar to the other Pulsars around. You will get a stonker of an engine with very good power and also a little lesser weight since it does not have the bulky fairing in the front. He will enjoy himself. Expect a mileage of about 38-40 after the initial running in period.

If your budget does not permit a 220, then the next choice would be a P180. It has evolved a lot from the previous gen P180 and it has become more refined with lesser vibes and lesser issues. So you can give it a shot if you like it in the test ride.
Old 15th March 2010, 15:17   #11
BHPian

Karizma R is the best bet for you. ZMA/ZMR is not worth the money. Present gen Pulsar's have got reliability issues. The Karizma is no doubt the only one holding on to its core strengths.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:14   #12
BHPian

I would suggest "Honda Unicorn".U won't regret the choice later. Nice and refined bike in the same category as Pulsar. Maybe a bit underpowered but still a nice bike to own. The second option is Yamaha FZ16. Good bike from the Yamaha Stable after the legendary "RX100" (In India). Pulsar is too common and after the launch of FZ16 the sales of Pulsar's have come down like anything in atleast these part of the country.(Maybe young guys getting better options in a segment where Pulsar ruled for a long time)
Old 16th March 2010, 01:36   #13
BHPian

Woah now thats awesome advice all you people, Thanks for quick response..going to check out some more bikes tomorrow gonna do some test riding..and yes Suzuki GS 150R is on that list..will update once i do the test drive

Most Viewed