Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 14:53   #1
BHPian

Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500

Hi,

Guys, Need help out here. I have been driving 2001 model pulsar 180 and decided to change it as she has become old. About a week back i sneeked in to the Royal enfield showroom to check out the Classic 350 and that is were the confution started.

The sales person is pushing me me to buy a classic 500..My friend is pushing me to buy the Thunderbird twin spark..My heart is pushing me to buy classic 350 and my heart is pushing me to buy the electra.

My usage is very limited per day:My home to office and drop my wife on the way to her office which is around 10kms. Budget is not a constrain and all i need is a comfatable ride with a decent milage and low maintenance....and bit of thumping too. The review's of these bikes is confusing me more.

So, what do i do??

Electra or TBTS or classic350 or classic500..

Bike gurus and owners...your advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
shailu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2010, 15:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailu View Post
Hi,

Guys, Need help out here. I have been driving 2001 model pulsar 180 and decided to change it as she has become old. About a week back i sneeked in to the Royal enfield showroom to check out the Classic 350 and that is were the confution started.

The sales person is pushing me me to buy a classic 500..My friend is pushing me to buy the Thunderbird twin spark..My heart is pushing me to buy classic 350 and my heart is pushing me to buy the electra.

My usage is very limited per day:My home to office and drop my wife on the way to her office which is around 10kms. Budget is not a constrain and all i need is a comfatable ride with a decent milage and low maintenance....and bit of thumping too. The review's of these bikes is confusing me more.

So, what do i do??

Electra or TBTS or classic350 or classic500..

Bike gurus and owners...your advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Any UCE350 would be a better bet presently as the UCE500s have fuel injection issues which aren't sorted out yet.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 15th March 2010, 15:39   #3
BHPian

I myself have been thinking about the right enfield to buy. I was very keen on the classic 500, but the FI issues and reports of uncomfortable long distance rides are making me uneasy.
I will probably end up with the Tbird as I intend to use it for long distance rides. Shailu, you should probably go for the UCE Electra. The classic seems to have too many gremlins. Check out TBHPian Randhawa's thread at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...review-12.html for details
Old 15th March 2010, 17:02   #4
BHPian

Gues even i wanted to buy classic 350 once i am back in India.But heard that classic models have waiting og 6 months now.So that option is ruled out for me. Second obvious choice would be TBTS. Can someone pls let me know if even TBTS has a waiting period of 6 months. I am in Korea now so could not visit the dealer to clarify this.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
....Can someone pls let me know if even TBTS has a waiting period of 6 months. I am in Korea now so could not visit the dealer to clarify this.
TBTS in Bangalore "can be delivered in 2 months max" according to the dealer. I got the feeling that an earlier delivery is possible if you keep after them.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I myself have been thinking about the right enfield to buy. I was very keen on the classic 500, but the FI issues and reports of uncomfortable long distance rides are making me uneasy.
I will probably end up with the Tbird as I intend to use it for long distance rides. Shailu, you should probably go for the UCE Electra. The classic seems to have too many gremlins. Check out TBHPian Randhawa's thread at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...review-12.html for details
Thanks roy, just went thru the review which was very informative about the Classic 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
TBTS in Bangalore "can be delivered in 2 months max" according to the dealer. I got the feeling that an earlier delivery is possible if you keep after them.
Just checked with the local RE showroom. 6 months waiting period for the Classic's and 20 days waiting period for the TBTS.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:56   #7
BHPian

I would say go for the Classic350/Electra which is what your heart is telling you but your wife will thank you more if you get the TBTS (as she will be pillion everyday )
Old 15th March 2010, 19:38   #8
BHPian

was just in the factory the other day. the guide said they were aware of all the backlogs and were putting out as much as possible. i have stopped at 3 dealers on this trip so far and all of them have waiting lists like 40+++ people.
i would always say no to the 500 and love the classic 350.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Haha, welcome to the confusion Shailu; however I was confused only with two variants - TBTS or C5; I liked the riding posture & look of TBTS & the power of C5 from the 500CC & the superb torque it produces. Pls check with yourself as what're your expectations, in my case, I could not help 'cause plonking a 500CC engine into TBTS - well I don't think anyone has tried & I cannot afford to experiement

So my suggestion for you will be is to narrow down your needs & expectaions further & I'm sure you'll be able to choose the best among the 4 of them. Good Luck

Last edited by aargee : 15th March 2010 at 19:50.
Old 15th March 2010, 21:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
..........in my case, I could not help 'cause plonking a 500CC engine into TBTS .........
Now that would be the right enfield to buy! After they have sorted out the FI issues, of course. I wonder if RE has any plans of a 500CC TBTS. Any insider info?
Even though it looks absolutely fantastic, the Classic does not seem to be a bike you would want to ride from Blr to Ooty on.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Shailu - Have you given a thought on the chrome C5? This should help you to come to some conclusion.

Also go through the following thread that could help you come to some conclusion - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-220-dtsi.html. Though he had confusion prevailing with 2 different segments, you could get some points regarding C5.

@Roy.S - TBTS with 500 CC UCE will be the ultimate that RE can offer to us and a little customization of the OE handle bars to beach bar/stock Fat boy type handlebars & a gold star silencer are sure for head turns on the road.
Old 17th March 2010, 00:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Any UCE350 would be a better bet presently as the UCE500s have fuel injection issues which aren't sorted out yet.

Cheers,

Jay
I second that. Any UCE350 is a better bet. I'd suggest you to go for CL350.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
I would say go for the Classic350/Electra which is what your heart is telling you but your wife will thank you more if you get the TBTS (as she will be pillion everyday )
Abhay, you have a valid point. Classic 350 is not comfortable for pillion riders. In that case electra is most comfortable amongst all. Correct me if i am wrong!

Quote:
Haha, welcome to the confusion Shailu; however I was confused only with two variants - TBTS or C5; I liked the riding posture & look of TBTS & the power of C5 from the 500CC & the superb torque it produces. Pls check with yourself as what're your expectations, in my case, I could not help 'cause plonking a 500CC engine into TBTS - well I don't think anyone has tried & I cannot afford to experiement

So my suggestion for you will be is to narrow down your needs & expectaions further & I'm sure you'll be able to choose the best among the 4 of them. Good Luck
aargee, nice to see that you have also sailed in the same boat . so what did you finally end up buying TBTS or C5.

Apart from this i went back to the RE showroom yesterday after a long discussion( i am sure the salesman will put down his papers before i buy a bike from them) and test drives now one variant is left out...the classic 500.

it's between these : Electra or Classic 350 or TBTS
Old 17th March 2010, 10:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
aargee, nice to see that you have also sailed in the same boat . so what did you finally end up buying TBTS or C5.
None - I'm restoring my Rx100

Quote:
it's between these : Electra or Classic 350 or TBTS
Ok, now you've narrowed down a little; good to see you're comparing all the 350CC's; Now, what's that you want? Bit more torque? Then its none other than Electra; Riding position? None other than TBTS; Classy looks? then C350. Anyway, if you want the thump & the comfy ride, then you can always fit in accessories for TBTS like replacing it with silencer that thumps more. So goahead & start narrowing down your requirements.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
None - I'm restoring my Rx100

Ok, now you've narrowed down a little; good to see you're comparing all the 350CC's; Now, what's that you want? Bit more torque? Then its none other than Electra
Now, how does the Electra deliver that bit more torque? Could you please elaborate?

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks