Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 13:57   #1
BHPian

Native Indian Motorcycles, which to buy ?

I just finished my 1stPUC and I have applied for an "L" License, I'm 17 and a half. I have planned to buy a motorbike rather than a moped because I have rode my brothers already, I'm just too excited to buy one but just can't make a choice. I need help from owners of this breed.

I like FZ-S looks wise but is it a performer ? 14bhp !
Or Karizma ? Pulsar 220 ? R15 ? They all are just spinning all around my head and I am finding it very difficult to make a choice !

Not that I'm a speed freak and I just like cutting lanes and zapping through the traffic, I don't mind a cruiser but my personality doesn't seem to support me. I'm thin !

My father still insists me on buying a Classic500 but then 8 months waiting

I'd rather buy an activa

By buying the C500 I can easily beat the RD350 which my dad owns and it'll be a novelty but then my personality and the waiting time !

So Commuters, please suggest some and tell me why I need to buy them !

Thank you BHPians, this topic CAN be deleted as soon as I get my answer and make up my mind. Thanks for supporting Admins/Moderators, you are doing great

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th March 2010 at 15:58. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read our board rules before proceeding further, thanks
Old 18th March 2010, 15:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its extremely difficult to beat RD350 by a C5 on tracks because of the 2 stroke category & the HP it produces & its not worth while comparing decade old models to recently launched C5 & again 350 Vs 500 CC engines. However if you're talking not on tracks, then I don't have a say.

My sincere advice is to define your needs then you'll know the bike you need to buy rather than looking for the bike & settling in your need. Define your need such as what are your expectations, here're some of them for example:
1. I need more power & cannot compromise on fuel economy
2. I cannot afford more than 65K
3. I don't care about the looks
4. I don't need all those technology
5. Top speed is not what I look at, I need more torqy engine
6. I need some luggage carrying capacity
7. I'm more of tourer

So write down all your requirement & sort them, I'm sure you'll find out your suitable motorcycle/scooter by then

PS - I hope you're attracting infractions by using 3 smileys on the post. Pls go through the forum rules below (point #3)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

Last edited by aargee : 18th March 2010 at 15:58.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:04   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamaan View Post
I just like cutting lanes and zapping through the traffic,
IMHO, you are better off without a bike.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:18   #4
BHPian

If cutting lanes and good torque in for overtaking is what you want, go for the FZ.

Ive been using it since Oct '08 when it first came out.

Low on maintenance and decent fuel economy.

Top end performance is not quite good but good enough to do 117kmph(on a long stretch).

Its a good street bike if thats what you are looking for.

You can opt for an RTR as well, if you think the FZ is underpowered.

And i doubt if the C500 can smoke an RD, coz quite frankly, the RD is a nuke with 2 wheels.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
By buying the C500 I can easily beat the RD350 which my dad owns and it'll be a novelty but then my personality and the waiting time !
You cant beat a RD with a C500. If its a proper RD350.

As far as your bike is concerned, if cutting lanes and zipping across traffic is what you intend to do, id advise you to stay away from bikes. You have to be very cautious and responsible while riding.

You need to list all your criteria to determine what bike will suit you along with the budget. I suggest you follow what Aargee has said.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:06   #6
BHPian

What are you guys suggesting he is just 17 and a half years old? He is not even eligible to get a learners license for bikes with gears.He is only eligible for bikes without gears less than 50cc(unless the rules have changed ,which i think has not).he still has half a year more to go.

Dude wait until you become old enough to get your license for bikes with gears.Then decide upon what your needs are? then decide.

I have heard yamaha has planned to launch 4 more new bikes shortly. maybe you will like them when they are launched.

But please be responsible while driving and be safe.

Last edited by rocky080 : 18th March 2010 at 17:21.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Not that (I'm a speed freak and I just like cutting lanes and zapping through the traffic)

I don't mind a cruiser (but my personality doesn't seem to support me. I'm thin !)
I think this is how Zamaan's sentences were intended to be read!
Old 18th March 2010, 19:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
IMHO, you are better off without a bike.
Dude, I would be surprised and shocked and just startled if it came to my knowledge that you din't ride a bike or a car at my age !

Boss, I guess you gotta read everything all over again, I meant its not in me to cut lanes and stuff !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
If cutting lanes and good torque in for overtaking is what you want, go for the FZ.

Ive been using it since Oct '08 when it first came out.

Low on maintenance and decent fuel economy.

Top end performance is not quite good but good enough to do 117kmph(on a long stretch).

Its a good street bike if thats what you are looking for.

You can opt for an RTR as well, if you think the FZ is underpowered.

And i doubt if the C500 can smoke an RD, coz quite frankly, the RD is a nuke with 2 wheels.
I maybe underage for a vehicle, but I am capable of riding it and that too safely. I don't drive a car as yet though I know how to and have driven a couple of times ! Yes its true that the govt. permits only 50cc for my age group but just answer this to me ! Is a 50cc bike still available ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
What are you guys suggesting he is just 17 and a half years old? He is not even eligible to get a learners license for bikes with gears.He is only eligible for bikes without gears less than 50cc(unless the rules have changed ,which i think has not).he still has half a year more to go.

Dude wait until you become old enough to get your license for bikes with gears.Then decide upon what your needs are? then decide.

I have heard yamaha has planned to launch 4 more new bikes shortly. maybe you will like them when they are launched.

But please be responsible while driving and be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
I think this is how Zamaan's sentences were intended to be read!

Exactly man, these people lack reading sense !

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 19th March 2010 at 11:48. Reason: See note in the post.
Old 18th March 2010, 21:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I maybe underage for a vehicle, but I am capable of riding it and that too safely. I don't drive a car as yet though I know how to and have driven a couple of times ! Yes its true that the govt. permits only 50cc for my age group but just answer this to me ! Is a 50cc bike still available ?
Dude don't take me wrong here. I am not questioning your capability to drive a bike. you maybe an excellent driver but there are other morons on the road. And if by some instance god forbid not you meet with an accident you will not be able get insurance cover and the moron who bumped into who may be the actual culprit can sue you. I know this because a friend of mine who was riding a yamaha was hit by a elderly person driving a kinetic honda from the rear and my friend who was nowhere at fault had to pay 1.5lac as compensation for out of court settlement because he did not have a valid driving license.

Yup you do get the second hand old model scooty with 50cc engine. There is a reason this cc restriction is put on only learner license holders and not DL holders. Once you get your DL for gear less bikes you can drive any gear less bike no matter what cc it is.
Old 18th March 2010, 21:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude tone down!!

I totally agree with rocky080.. Anyways its just 6 months for you to get DL. Its good to start your research now and pick up the bike once you have a valid DL. 6 months will just fly by and you will not even realize.

So if you could please list your requirements and constraints, it would be good.

But going roughly by your post, FZ should be good for city streets. Can carry good speeds on the empty stretch and also has good pick up, easy to maneuver in traffic.
Old 18th March 2010, 22:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you can also pay a little attention to your writing sense .

by the way, what is "native indian motorcycle"? first thing that came to my mind when i sw this thread was indian chief.
Old 18th March 2010, 23:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Boss, I guess you gotta read everything all over again, I meant its not in me to cut lanes and stuff !

Guess u dint read the 'If' in the first line.

Leave it.

If you are looking for a good "first bike", start off with a Yam like most of us here.

Go for the R15, coz u say u r lean. There is tonnes of grip, enough power and nimble handling. Plenty of kit too to keep you interested.

I wouldnt suggest you to go for a C500 if you are an amateur, coz it may be an easy to ride bullet, but not something any ordinary rider can handle.

Hope im clear with this one.

Cheers!
Old 19th March 2010, 10:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not that I'm a speed freak and I just like cutting lanes and zapping through the traffic, I don't mind a cruiser but my personality doesn't seem to support me. I'm thin !
My young friend, remember this is a mature forum and a little bit of deference and humility never hurt anyone. Before admonishing others about their reading sense, take care to correctly convey what you mean. The highlighted part of your post means that you are not a speed freak, but you like to cut lanes and zap through traffic! Hence the admonition from others about you being better off without a bike.

After reading your post three times, I now understand you like to neither speed nor cut through lanes! So I would suggest you have a look at the Karizma (old type) / Unicorn / Suzuki GS 150. After you secure your LLR.

PS : Had you typed "Not that I am a speed freak and like to cut lanes or zap through traffic", people would have caught on to what you actually meant!

Last edited by Gansan : 19th March 2010 at 10:41.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:09   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Dude, I would be surprised and shocked and just startled if it came to my knowledge that you din't ride a bike or a car at my age !
Be surprised then.

Quote:
What does reading sense mean anyways? Forget dont bother replying. You should improve your writing sense (i dont know what that means, maybe you will)

Best of luck in your bike hunt.

Ride safe and before getting the bike or license get a helmet. My dad did that. Surprising no??

Last edited by Spitfire : 19th March 2010 at 11:11.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Zamaan, why dont you cool down on the attitude a bit.We are all here to help and be helped.Remarks like these aren't gonna help anybody.

Now why dont you let us know where u stand on the points aargee mentioned earlier, and we could all help you make an informed decision when its time for your new bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
My sincere advice is to define your needs then you'll know the bike you need to buy rather than looking for the bike & settling in your need. Define your need such as what are your expectations, here're some of them for example:
1. I need more power & cannot compromise on fuel economy
2. I cannot afford more than 65K
3. I don't care about the looks
4. I don't need all those technology
5. Top speed is not what I look at, I need more torqy engine
6. I need some luggage carrying capacity
7. I'm more of tourer
In the mean time, may i suggest that you refrain from riding on public property (i know how frustrating it can be).Because even though you maby a safe rider, its against the law.

Most Viewed