Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 09:14   #1
BHPian

Karizma front brake trouble - need help troubleshooting

Karizma front brake trouble - need help troubleshooting

My Karizma's front brake was fine for the first year of usage, then six months ago the lever began needing more pressure for it to work effectively. A service was due, so it was handed in and was rectified. The head mechanic claimed that it was because of rust in the lever hinges or cable, since I hose down the bike regularly.
I went immediately after the service for a 2200km round trip (one day 1100km, three days' stay, 1100km back.) Halfway on the return trip, the brake lever progressively got harder and harder to modulate, until it reached the old levels of force required to operate - old levels being those when the problem first surfaced. Obviously my washing the bike wasn't a problem, since I hadn't done that since the service.
I got the line bled and it worked fine for a while, then went back to being hard again. I’m not losing any fluid – I’ve been using it like that for the last month and a half and observing the level.
Have you heard of anyone else with this problem? It doesn’t seem to be a common problem on the Karizma.
I’d like your help diagnosing the problem, and any solutions will be welcome. Do ask any questions if you want to. I’ve given some additional information below.

11700km run in 1.5 years.
Mostly sane riding, with fast highway jaunts every now and again.
I use the front brake for most braking duties coupled with engine braking.
Haven’t messed with the brake or front tyre in any way at all. They’re stock.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:18   #2
BHPian

Mine brake lever feel stays hard most of the time.

I ve learnt to live with it and manage to lock in when I need to.

I think my master cylinder needs replacement. I am running a new rotor and pads.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:03   #3
BHPian

I had a similar issue a while bike on my '03 ZMA. Take it to a good mechanic. Tell him to overhaul the whole system. Replace oil and pads. It is probably a plunger malfunction. Should be easy to fix.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:42   #4
BHPian

System was overhauled twice, once at the HH service center, a second time by someone who's had training to service everything upto a YZF-R1. Both times problem went away, but returned. I need a new master cylinder, apparently - HH is quoting about Rs 6500 for the part which isn't in stock, and they cannot predict when it'll arrive, either.
I'm going to try other alternatives.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:47   #5
BHPian

OOOhhh sorry to hear that buddy. 6500??? Are you sure? Did you ask how much it would cost to replace the whole system including the rotor?
Old 8th April 2010, 19:02   #6
BHPian

After getting that heart attack, I wasn't in the mood for a bigger one, so I kept my trap shut. I'm thinking of getting hold of HH service manuals and comparing parts from other bikes - I've heard those are cheaper, despite being the same.
Else if I'm going to change the entire system, I'd rather look at mating the braided steel line from the P220 to the petal discs from an Apache. Only thing that's freaking me out is that it's the brakes, you know? I don't want to find out that my home remedy doesn't really work at 100kph!
Old 8th April 2010, 23:07   #7
BHPian

the original model ZMAs came with master cylinders that cost about Rs.5000+ now.

The later models share master cylinders with CBZXtreme and Hunk and cost lesser, about Rs.1200 or so. Even if you get a different master cylinder, don't change the rotor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks