Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:32   #16
BHPian

@ chipz. Gladi is not included as performance is last in my criteria. I am basically looking for comfort ( the reason i included discover 100 - Nitrox) and efficiency ( least trips to fuel pump). Also Gladi would be expensive compared to 100 cc lot. And personally I am not sure of Gladi's future. It seems forgotten since the launch of R15 and FZ.
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Maybe OT, But since your father is 60 and Ex Navy. Why dont you consider a NANO. It may be over the budget, but with a loan you wont realise that in 4 years its paid off. And what better for your old Fathers Comfort.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:14   #18
BHPian

Ok so dad has ruled out hero honda, You have rule out bajaj, but okay for discover. and Nano is not fuel efficient like bikes, then why dont you go with TVS jive or star. The gearless jive is a good idea, but IMO clutchless driving can produce mechanical defects in the future. Do check about the tvs service in your area.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Maybe OT, But since your father is 60 and Ex Navy. Why dont you consider a NANO. It may be over the budget, but with a loan you wont realise that in 4 years its paid off. And what better for your old Fathers Comfort.
I was going to suggest you the same thing, Even a used alto can be considered.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:42   #20
BHPian

Twister for your dad; GS isn't similar to your Pulsar, it's more like an updated Unicorn. Hunk or CBZ-X will be closer to your Pulsar's characteristics. Or get the FZ.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Given the additional conditions I suggest that he looks at Honda Shine & CB Twister.
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Given the additional conditions I suggest that he looks at Honda Shine & CB Twister.
IMO, I don't see a better option than the above, when it comes to build quality, reliability & smoothness for less than 150CC category. Next would be our good old Splendor, though its not my personal choice as its time for HH to change it now.
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:14   #23
BHPian

@ scoob and akshay, we already have a zen estilo at home, which he refuses to drive. He says it's very cumbersome to drive around in car. So cars are ruled out. I think Twister seems to be choice of "team".
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Twister looks very promising. Go fo it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
He says it's very cumbersome to drive around in car. So cars are ruled out. I think Twister seems to be choice of "team".
Any reason why scoots are ruled out. Even less cumbersome.
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:09   #25
BHPian

@Mpower, scoots are not as comfortable as bikes, especially ones with gas filled shocks. And also not as efficient as a 100 cc can be.
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
@Goswami, i was thinking of getting rid of pulsar for it's quality issues and going in for GS 150 R for myself. Would it be a wise move?
Read on:
1) My Zeus has done just 14K kms.+, but I have already spent Rs. 4160/- on mainteanance. This is not good.

2) From day 1 I am facing issue with idling. Also Carb. required major attention till date. I almost crashed due to throttle jammed at full throttle.

3) FE before service on 3rd march was in the range of 60-65 even with quick riding. Right now, even with slow riding, the FE is 50-52. I have spent Rs. 450/- for some part that never needs replacement in any bike. I have used Caliber a lot, but never did some major work on carb. That was reliability.

Overall, Suzuki dealer in Vadodara is excellent. I have faced TVS, Yamaha, Bajaj, HeroHonda, Honda, but Suzuki dealer is the best. They try to solve any problem you have, but the quality of product is not good.

GS150 had issues regarding rust. Also overall, the riding experience is not that good.
At the end of the day, I suggest not to go in for Zeus for your father. The bike has harsh ride quality that hurts back. I bought it for FE, but looks like my decision was wrong.

About GS150, I suggest you stay away from it. Good dealer, but not so good bike.
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:51   #27
BHPian

Thanks Aag, you have been always a great help. I think i should get my pulsar repaired (piston replacement) and keep it for one more year. Let's see if any more 150s get launched in next year, particularly unicorn upgrade. I don't wanna go for R15 or FZ or apache.

As for dad, twister seems best bet.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:21   #28
BHPian

Re: Which bike for my father

Folks,

Reviving a old thread.

I am looking to buy a bike/scooter for my dad who is around 55 now. He currently drives a 15 year old Chetak which is fairly in good condition.

He has not been able to kick start the Chetak due to knee joint problems. So self start and and a smooth ride is of highest importance in our probable vehicle. After a lot of research and test drives, we finalized on the following.

We live in a small town and the traffic is not a major issue. so is the mileage. A.S.S may be!

1. Honda Activa- Easy to drive and no gears makes it the best deal for effortless driving.

2. Honda Aviator- Everything similar to Activa incl the specs. Only difference is the front disc breaks (optional) and telescopic front suspension.

3. Mahindra Flyte- Engine specs similar to Activa. Costs 8k lesser. Fel the vehicle little smaller when compared to above two. After sales/ re-sale value not known yet.

4. Bajaj Discover 125CC- Though this has the gears, self start is pretty good. Mileage is excellent and decent after sales. Not sure of the ride quality though.

5. HH Passion Pro- Again, a good self start. Refined engine. Trusted Hero Honda and its after sales. Again, not sure of the long term maintenance and ride quality.

Can you guys please help in the decision making process. I am sure there are enough gurus in tbhp who can help clear my confusion.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Folks,

Reviving a old thread.

I am looking to buy a bike/scooter for my dad who is around 55 now. He currently drives a 15 year old Chetak which is fairly in good condition.

He has not been able to kick start the Chetak due to knee joint problems. So self start and and a smooth ride is of highest importance in our probable vehicle. After a lot of research and test drives, we finalized on the following.

We live in a small town and the traffic is not a major issue. so is the mileage. A.S.S may be!
I would suggest a gear less due to the ease it offers. My friend owns the Aviator and he is very satisfied with it. I have ridden it for quite some time and find it comfortable.You can go ahead and book one without second thoughts, its a good buy
Old 13th June 2011, 21:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Flyingkolors,
Why don't you check out the Suzuki Access? Their build quality and engine re-fineness is good enough. Also if mileage is the deal maker then would suggest any of the 100 cc bikes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks