Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Pickers lift entire bikes in tempos and leave without a noise sometimes.
Somewhere about 1-2 years back, I remember reading this in newspapers that this was the trend in the prime heart of the city & that too during the middays. Neighbours tend to think that the motorcycle was under repair; these guys professionally hire a long swaraj mazda to tow the motorcycle. Anyway to cut it short, if people lift away the motorcycles fitted with anti theft alarm (Xenos), shouldn't the alarm go off? Additionally there should be a possibility of providing a parallel connection to the motorcycle's horn for "extra" noise isn't it?
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Anyway to cut it short, if people lift away the motorcycles fitted with anti theft alarm (Xenos), shouldn't the alarm go off?
These guys firstly study the movement patterns of the owner and the bike before lifting. If they know it has a beeper then they know to lift it off w/o much noise and vibration. Next, if the beeper gives off, and people get suspicious, they would leave the catch there itself and move on.
Moreover, removing the seat and cutting a few wires is not a big deal for proffesionals.
Quote:
Additionally there should be a possibility of providing a parallel connection to the motorcycle's horn for "extra" noise isn't it?
Idea is good, but not entirely practical. There are several instances when bikes get brushed off at parking lots unintensionally. At that time, loud horns would be pain to the neighbours office security who would have to come to you every now and then to shut it off. You then need to share the remote with the office security and pesky neighbours.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
These guys firstly study the movement patterns of the owner and the bike before lifting.
Very very true & this is what was written on protecting your car from theft thread on the other day. Its more than true that there's no fool proof mechanism for theft, but only thing is it can delay the theft. How much you want to delay is what it depends. If no security mechanism is immediate, then adding up security devices one by one constitutes those many minutes. For instance, one of my uncle was using gear lock+steering lock+alarm on his Zen. When asked, he casually said that it only protects for about 5-10 minutes before someone could notice.

So IMO, the thread on protecting the car from anti theft has more tips than we talk all over those things here & most of them apply to motorcycles too.

Note - Just think about this probability, someone drops a leaf or stone on the car/motorcycle at the middle of night, so once you wake up, switch off the alarm, after half hour its a cat that walks, again you switch off the alarm, after an hour its a rat, this time you'll switch off the entire system. The theif got what he wanted, boom the vehicle goes missing.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:59   #19
BHPian

Well the point is to get as much protective devices as possible, but in the case of bike it is ignition lock, handle lock, disk lock, fork lock. But is it practical to take 4 or 5 keys with you all the time. If only these locks came as a combo. I think the touch sensor should have the loudest sound to startle the thief. The thief will surely back off if there is ample sound.
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:16   #20
BHPian

I have fitted an Motorcycle alarm system with voice function on my TVS Scooty PEP+.

Here are some Special Features of this system :
  • Voice Functions (TURN LEFT, TURN RIGHT, RESET ALARM PLS, SECURITY ON, SECURITY OFF)
  • Remote Start if the bike is self start enabled
  • Signal alarm upto 30 Mts.
  • Signal Light on bike upto 30 Mts.
  • Sounds alarm when anyone touches the bike when the security is turned on.
  • You can turn your vehicle on from 30 Mts. Radius.

Will upload a video soon.
iamback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I have fitted an Motorcycle alarm system with voice function on my TVS Scooty PEP+.
Can you tell me the brand and how much it cost you. The xenos looks very tempting.

I just called my friend who had installed it. He said he and one of his friend had installed it in a pulsar and a cbz about one year ago. He is unsure of the brand. He said both of them removed it after about 2 months because the bike would not start sometimes. May be it is the problem with the brand. I am not sure.

iamback; did u have any problem like this with your scooty.

prince_pervez; can you tell me which bike your friend installed that security system, just eager to know.

Last edited by Chipz : 2nd April 2010 at 10:40.
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:48   #22
BHPian

There are systems with silent alarm ie only u will be alerted via the reciever at your end. But its range is limited, i think. If they come and carry it off in a truck nothing can be done. That's where a gps tracking device comes into play.

There's throttle lock. Guys, is anyone using it?
I checked the xenon site. Devices cost between 1-2k. Does it have a reciever to alert the owner? That is necessary as no one is going to bother about a bike making strange beeping sounds!!!

Last edited by bblost : 2nd April 2010 at 11:34. Reason: back 2 back post. Please use edit post if posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Can you tell me the brand and how much it cost you. The xenos looks very tempting.

I just called my friend who had installed it. He said he and one of his friend had installed it in a pulsar and a cbz about one year ago. He is unsure of the brand. He said both of them removed it after about 2 months because the bike would not start sometimes. May be it is the problem with the brand. I am not sure.

iamback; did u have any problem like this with your scooty.

prince_pervez; can you tell me which bike your friend installed that security system, just eager to know.
Unknown about brand but I brought it from ebay. The name written on box is POLICEMAN but i don't think its the brand name . I think its made in china product. The same i had installed in my old TVS Scooty PEP+ and now in my new PEP+. Working well on Both PEP+'s. See the pics. Sorry about the picture quality.

Anti-theft devices, strategies for bikes-20100402_111956.jpg

Anti-theft devices, strategies for bikes-20100402_112039.jpg

Anti-theft devices, strategies for bikes-20100402_112108.jpg

Anti-theft devices, strategies for bikes-20100402_112125.jpg

Working well on old Pep+ its about more than 1 year now and fitted on New Pep+ on January 10. The each system cost me about Rs.2000. Fitting is done by myself only it took me about 2 hours to install.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd April 2010 at 11:33. Reason: back 2 back post. Please use edit post if posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:36   #24
BHPian

Guys, check this out
XENA Motorcycle Security
Old 4th April 2010, 02:40   #25
BHPian

In my opinion systems like xenos is not really worth it. I had one system in my previous bike.. did not last more than a year, plus it cant really stop a thief. Its a very minor deterrent. Best option is to use a thick chain with good quality lock and tie it in such a manner that lock is not resting on the ground (so that it can be smashed open) or the keyhole is easily accessible (for thief to pick). Having said this, carrying this lock will be a hassle for sure..
Old 4th April 2010, 05:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
In my opinion systems like xenos is not really worth it. I had one system in my previous bike.. did not last more than a year,
Could you share us the details as what went wrong with the Xenos system? It will help aspiring buyers like us to obtain answers & avoid such mistakes.

Quote:
plus it cant really stop a thief.
Actually nothing can; as discussed here in this thread & car thread, it can only prolong a theft & by prolonging it can irritate him or make him commit a mistake by which the theft itself attracts the crowd. IMO, there're no fool proof systems.

Quote:
tie it in such a manner that lock is not resting on the ground (so that it can be smashed open) or the keyhole is easily accessible (for thief to pick).
This is a good tip. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Having said this, carrying this lock will be a hassle for sure..
Very true.
Old 4th April 2010, 15:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Could you share us the details as what went wrong with the Xenos system? It will help aspiring buyers like us to obtain answers & avoid such mistakes.
It was not Xenos, but knight hawk or something. 5 years back we really didnt have much choice you see. This was the only brand that was providing 1 yr warranty. Good that it did, i had to use it. The horn/speaker went kaput in very close to 1 years time. Got it fixed under warranty.

A more serious problem was that the bike just stalled and wont start when the system was connected. Threw out the box this time round. This was the only time my bike failed me.

Quote:
Actually nothing can; as discussed here in this thread & car thread, it can only prolong a theft & by prolonging it can irritate him
I know nothing can stop a thief. My point is unless the potential thief is a untrained chap, this is not even a deterrent. Its so easy to get around this system. All he has to do is open the battery compartment and pull out the wires. If he can unlock the handle bar, this is childs play. Also, all this can be done without triggering the alarm!

In my opinion fork lock or chaining the bike is a better deterrent, but i am unsure how many people will do that. People fix fork locks etc. when the bike is new but then hardly use it. One word of caution with fork lock: These have cheap locks so easily pickable, plus a lot of keys are shared - similar to helmet lock or petrol cock lock.
Old 5th April 2010, 00:22   #28
BHPian

I am really happy with my Bike Security system as this also offers you to start your bike from remote. Paying Rs. 2000 to secure your loving bike is not that much expensive.

Talking about Xenos , I really don't like them because one of my friend brought it and fitted in its TVS Apache. About after three months his system just burned. When we went to the AVI electronics shop which is Xenos' A.S.S. They told us that the product is burned due to water but as we told him that the product is waterproof so it is impossible for water to damage the receiver. They told us to come after 4 days so that they can check it. After 4 days when went to the A.S.S. Their answer was that the warrenty seal on the receiver is broken. So we can't help you. Please try to contact Xenos Head office or buy a new one.

So from that time i have and will never brought a xenos security system again. My security system is working fine on my old Pep+ on which it was fitted about a year ago and also on new pep+ fitted about 3-4 Months ago.

Last edited by iamback : 5th April 2010 at 00:24.
Old 5th April 2010, 05:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

@iamback - yours is a quite a bad experience, but still I wouldn't attribute a bad name to Xenos; may be the dealer is bad or something really went bad with that piece. Probably the dealer knew it already that its a bad piece & he just sold it off to you. Did you try talking to the manufacturer? What was their response? I'm not trying to defend Xenos, but its hard to believe that after establishing a reputation in the market, they simply cannot make bad products.
Old 5th April 2010, 07:02   #30
BHPian

@iamback - You cannot blame xenos if the Xenos' A.S.S. did not replace your good. It is normal practice to void the warranty if the seal is tampered with. You should address this with xenos if there is any issue with A.S.S. Xenos is a well known brand, I dont think they make bad products.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks