Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 15:26   #31
BHPian

Security system for two wheelers Y/N

Hello Team,

Once again opening a new thread after confused with "Yes" or "No" for a security system for Two wheeler.

I have gone through the forum and read that the security system is not much a deterrent for thieves and instead have physical deterrent like wheel lock, throttle lock etc.

Please pour in your opinions which may throw a light to me to get out of confusion.

Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 19:39   #32
BHPian

Most of the so called security systems are just alarms. Beep, beep, beep for sometime and they will shut down!!! And no one bothers about it. Even seen anyone coming to the rescue of a beeping car!!!
There are systems which can alert the owner through his mobile or a seperate remote/device. Silent alarms will also work wonders so the owner can catch the would-be thief at work!!! These devices are available in US and A and EU. Haven't seen them yet in India.

I use a big, I mean really big and fat chains for the front and the back wheel of my bike along with Godrej locks with it serial number scrubbed out. Removing the serial no. is necessary or else the thief can just note the number and make a key. Chaining the bike to an imovable pillar or post will also do the trick. People say that I am a psycho, but I started becoming very careful after a good-for-nothing c**t stole my Herculese Wow cycle from my office parking lot which is manned by guards round the clock. Even my friend's Yamaha FZ was stolen from his society which was again manned by guards 24x7!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 13th July 2010 at 19:45.
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 19:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

@trtraj. Bikes can be lifted by 2-3 stout fellas within no time and can get away with the bike in a tempo or something. The trick is to delay that as much as you can. Start with a safe parking spot first then anything else after that will do. If you don't have a safe parking spot and you adorn the bike with gizmos and beepers which can be masked by road noise, then its of no use.
My suggestion is: Yes go for it but get the basics right first. Good parking spot.
Old 13th July 2010, 20:43   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Like you have said a chain lock is a better deterrent, which I too use on my RX100, whenever its parked in unsafe areas.Though the bike is too old which is also a detering factor, you never know.Thieves throw surprises.
Apart from the very easily manoeuvrable(by thieves) handle and ignition locks the chain lock deters these elements who may move on to softer targets around.
Any suggestions on what additional locks can be applied to the scooters like Honda Activa or the Suzuki Access?
I do not believe in the gizmos and alarms.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th July 2010 at 20:45.
Old 13th July 2010, 22:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

I ordered the Xena Disc Alarm lock for my ninja. It fits on the disc brake and has a locking pin which cannot be picked, broken, shattered, cut, etc. Even blowing freezing air onto it and hammering it will not shatter the lock (a la hollywood style)

Just order one at www.xenasecurity.com or at ebay.com.

The lock has an alarm, motion sensor, shock sensor. What more do you need for something that is virtually indestructible and reliable?
P.S. Mine has a 120db alarm, loud enough to bore a hole in your eardrum.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th July 2010 at 22:28.
Old 14th July 2010, 13:02   #36
BHPian

Hi n_aditya @ how is your xena lock. Where did you buy it from. what is the cost. The product does look good in their website. Waiting for a small review.

Thanks,
Chipz
Old 14th July 2010, 17:47   #37
BHPian

Thanks for all inputs team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
. People say that I am a psycho,
I do not think that one who want to be secure can be called as psycho. However, The idea of saving our hard earned money is never bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Yes go for it but get the basics right first. Good parking spot.
Thanks Pervez, I do have a safer parking space @ home and office, But my worry is when i park in the other places (I booked a Thunderbird) which may attract thieves. This is why am worried a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Just order one at www.xenasecurity.com or at ebay.com.

The lock has an alarm, motion sensor, shock sensor. What more do you need for something that is virtually indestructible and reliable?
P.S. Mine has a 120db alarm, loud enough to bore a hole in your eardrum.
I tried this in xena as well as ebay. Could not find one Aditya, Could you please let me know price details too? This looks apt for deterring a thief and alarming the owner.
Old 14th July 2010, 22:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
how is your xena lock. Where did you buy it from. what is the cost. The product does look good in their website. Waiting for a small review.
I ordered the lock on eBay.com (USA Site). Cost me around 60-70 USD for the XX-6 Stainless Steel model. I dont have it yet with me. My folks will be back at the end of the month, so i'll post a review then.

Search on ebay and you'll find pretty good deals. I got 20 USD off the retail price on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
I tried this in xena as well as ebay. Could not find one Aditya, Could you please let me know price details too? This looks apt for deterring a thief and alarming the owner.
Search for Xena Disc Lock Alarm and you will find quite a few models. Look at the Xena site for model information and finish (chrome, colored, stainless steel etc.)

Here are some video's :

The alarm in the above video is 110deibels while my lock has 120 dB alarm. Its very loud and irritating. My friend has one for his ninja too and i decided to buy it after i saw a live demo at his place.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:07   #39
BHPian

Using a chain and lock is the best thing to do. I use a big pad lock on my RD's rear sprocket! I tried getting a xena lock but the person who was supposed to carry it down forgot about it.

An easy trick to shut off the alarm on a bike. Open an indicator, take out the bulb and shove a screwdriver in it. Then hit the bike to activcate the alarm. This will short the fuse and the alarm stops. This is common sense and practically every thief would know this. Dont ask how i know! I just tried this on a friends bike to see if this theory works!

if you can afford the xena lock and dont ming lugging around a 3/4kg lock, go for it!!

Cheers!
Old 14th July 2010, 23:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The trick is to delay that as much as you can
+1; There's always a back door for every secured door.

@Aditya - I'm badly in need of one security alarm for my RX as the recent restoration has landed up with closing the fork locks. For over 2 days I was very much disppointed thinking I don't have even a basic lock for my RX & I was thinking of getting a security system. It was good that you bought up this point. I'll review your points on this, but, does it work even with a 12V 2.5A battery or does it necessarily need a 4 or 5A battery?

PS - The link you provided is taking to TBhp home page. I hope this is the right link.

Last edited by aargee : 14th July 2010 at 23:34.
Old 15th July 2010, 09:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
if you can afford the xena lock and dont ming lugging around a 3/4kg lock, go for it!!
Well the weight of the Xena lock depends on the model and the size.

Mine is the XX-6 which is pretty small and light enough to carry along in a pocket. The bigger ones like the XX-10 / XX-14 are very heavy and pretty big. The 6mm ones should do very well for our requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
does it work even with a 12V 2.5A battery or does it necessarily need a 4 or 5A battery?

PS - The link you provided is taking to TBhp home page. I hope this is the right link.
It uses a small battery which you can buy off a watch shop. Does not work on the bike's battery so it is a very good theft deterrent. The link is XENA Security Locks, Alarms & Accessories for Motorcycles, Scooters and ATVs

Batteries can be changed in a jiffy. Completely hassle free and peace of mind.
Old 16th July 2010, 19:28   #42
BHPian

Guys have you heard of Kryptonite and Onguard chain locks. Big beasts like Harleys are chained down with these monsters. My cousin based in UK used on guard chain for his Triumph!!! He says it is really good.
Old 17th July 2010, 02:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Batteries can be changed in a jiffy. Completely hassle free and peace of mind.
Yes, I'd this question in my mind too that its easy to remove the battery connection, especially when it comes to RX. So if one can remove the connection from the side battery without touching the motorcycle, it becomes easy to get away with the motorcycle isn't it?

I hope the watch battery powered security system makes sufficient loud sound to grab the attention from people as well as it can detect small movements to raise the alarm.
Old 17th July 2010, 18:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yes, I'd this question in my mind too that its easy to remove the battery connection, especially when it comes to RX. So if one can remove the connection from the side battery without touching the motorcycle, it becomes easy to get away with the motorcycle isn't it?

I hope the watch battery powered security system makes sufficient loud sound to grab the attention from people as well as it can detect small movements to raise the alarm.
You cannot remove the battery without unlocking the Xena from your bike. Moreover the alarm will sound when the unit is moved. See battery replacement topic on the site for more info. Its got a special flat key to remove the battery housing and the alarm WILL sound unless the battery is dead. And when replaced it WILL sound until you lock and unlock the xena to turn it off.
Old 8th September 2010, 09:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Need to wake up this thread as I'm going to order one from Xena security & need inputs for the same.

First, Adi, were you able to get hold of the product? If yes, pls post a review, I'm looking for your review so that I can buy one immediately.

Since I've lost the fork lock on my Rx, I'm looking for Bullett Lock with alarm. Appreciate if someone has an idea on this & provide their opinion - Bullett-Lock Alarms. I'm planning one either from XUL or XPL series.

Since I don't have anyone coming from US in the near future, I'm planning to get it through ICCWorld or 20North. Pls provide your suggestions on this too. Tks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
An easy trick to shut off the alarm on a bike. Open an indicator, take out the bulb and shove a screwdriver in it. Then hit the bike to activcate the alarm.
Last but not the least, I hope the above trick cannot be done with Xena right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks