Team-BHP - I'm back ... on 2-wheels that is
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   I'm back ... on 2-wheels that is (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/79061-im-back-2-wheels.html)

Its been a while since I've logged on and hope i'm posting in the right forum/section. Just got back on 2-wheels (as if i was ever off ;)). Just got myself a streetfighter - a kawasaki z1000.

Having flushed the supersport out of my system with my previous bike being a Gixxer 1k I'd decided it was time to get an easy to ride non-poser. I was looking at a fairly wide range of moto's - I started looking for the Speed Triple, Z1000 and even some supermoto's like the Aprilia SXV's (4.5 and 5.5 - these I've heard are really wild), as well as the CB919 (hornet 900)

The triple's were listed for a lil too much $$ or were too far away. I found a really good SXV but later learned that the engine rebuild interval on these is smaller than a valve adjustment interval for most street bikes, so that dropped out of the list - and so on. So my process of elimination got me to this one -

Being kinda orthodox I won't harp too much about its condition :) but in short lets just say its in fantastic shape.

953 cc ~ 130 hp.
It does have a full after market exhaust (not just a slip-on can). It has power commander III and a revised fuel map done by some "Z1K expert" in Indianapolis and a bunch of other mods (many of which are cosmetic).
Has ZX6r shocks. Apparently the previous owner stuff in empty shot-gun shells in the handle bar to reduce vibrations ?! interesting choice of material i'd say.

Well Mpower (a good friend and moderator here) and I checked out the moto which was in Indianapolis. I liked it, paid for it and basically rode it back to Chicago the same evening. Mpower helped me out with local logistics and several other things.

In comparison to the Gixxer 1k I had before, this one is such a relief to ride with a very upright riding position and comfortable ride. Although it doesn't have the horsepower of the Gixxer (which doesn't matter coz for regular use even 500's are more than enough), I definitely like it better. Although being a naked it doesn't have any fairing up front and the constant wind blast riding on the highway sucked while riding it back those 200 miles.

Well I hope this rant wasn't too boring for you all. Thought I'd share it with you guys. I'll try and post some more pics and my review on the moto as days go by.

highwayblaze; first of all you are not doing justice with just one pic. Is this the 2008 model. The newer version has good riding comfort than the previous one. Congrats on getting the bike. Did not the previous version had a rather large exhaust. Ride safe.

Congratulations Bud,
the Z sure looks new with that awesome color

Awesome! Would love to see some more pics. Glad to see someone with a fighter. Fighters have actually been developed from cafe racers. Are you planning on clip-ons?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 1824581)
Awesome! Would love to see some more pics. Glad to see someone with a fighter. Fighters have actually been developed from cafe racers. Are you planning on clip-ons?!

Gordon, no I'm planning on keeping it as is and just clocking as much riding time as I can. Don't want the clip-ons, else I'll be leaning forward with my foot pegs where they are and that'll be wierd ergonomics if you will. For a forward swept position i'd need to move my pegs back which is opposite of the upright stance. Its really great to ride it as is.

Since you brought it up, a very good friend of mine here whom I go riding with has a Triumph Thruxton which is a 900cc cafe' racer a great throwback in time. Its fairly heavy too just like the 70's cafe's and is carburetted inspite of being an 07MY.

I'll upload more pics in a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipz (Post 1824514)
highwayblaze; first of all you are not doing justice with just one pic. Is this the 2008 model. The newer version has good riding comfort than the previous one. Congrats on getting the bike. Did not the previous version had a rather large exhaust. Ride safe.

you mean the stock exhausts? yes dual on each side and real heavy too. This one's a relief. :)
an 03 model year.