Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 21:34   #1
BHPian

Moving to Court against Bajaj - Chain Sound in P220 DTSi

Hi All,

Enough is enough. Iam totally pissed off with the ANNOYING noise from the chain of my bike. Its a TOTAL, TOTAL FLAW in design - The bloody 'O' ring technology. Bajaj has to accept that it is a failure. 'Zero maintenance' chain - MY FOOT. Each 500kms we need to lubricate it. That too again we need to pay for that even inside free service periods. THIS IS ATROCIOUS.

Just have a look at other open chained bikes around - FZ, RTR, R15 etc. All chains catch up dust and dirt depending on the conditions prevailing but none makes this annoying noise.

So we have to make Bajaj admit the mistake and replace the technology (and chain). For that Iam planning to move to court. Will it work out? Can anyone give me some inputs on how to go about it plz.

PS: Iam so so pissed up not just bcoz of my bike, ALL, ALL ALLLLL P220's and P200 move around with this 'buzzing' annoying sound, but I wonder why no one is complaining!

And those for you who think their bike is kinda ok, do try out a ride without ur helmet or riding as a pillion!

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 7th April 2010 at 21:36. Reason: typo
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2010, 21:57   #2
BHPian

Mate, i have a '08 FZ16 and its got an open chain set up just like yours.

Dust and dirt does accumulate on it.

It looks a little rusty at times.

When i initially saw this and reported it to the SVC Chief Mechanic, he said its natural and i need to degrease it and put chain lube every 500kms.

But i dint stick to his advice of going to the showroom every 500kms.

I bought the Motul chain cleaner and lubricant and im doing the work myself.

I dont think you can go to court for that because it will sound preposterous to blame them for dirt accumulation.

PS-My chain and sprocket is pretty much worn out and needs replacement, so its making a hissing sound for the past 2000kms or so.
Old 7th April 2010, 23:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
Mate, i have a '08 FZ16 and its got an open chain set up just like yours.

Dust and dirt does accumulate on it.

It looks a little rusty at times.

When i initially saw this and reported it to the SVC Chief Mechanic, he said its natural and i need to degrease it and put chain lube every 500kms.

But i dint stick to his advice of going to the showroom every 500kms.

I bought the Motul chain cleaner and lubricant and im doing the work myself.

I dont think you can go to court for that because it will sound preposterous to blame them for dirt accumulation.

PS-My chain and sprocket is pretty much worn out and needs replacement, so its making a hissing sound for the past 2000kms or so.
Plz read my post clearly. I had mentioned that all open chained bikes accumulate dirt but none makes sound like Bajaj. Its not that I want my chain to look sexy neither am I looking at a long-life chain. JUST The SOUND is annoying. People who see me pass by look at me as if I have ripped my engine apart and sound is coming from the engine! Yeah cant blame them, bcoz the sound comes really from the engine side of the chain and not that much from the sprocket. Agree that most open chained bikes make slight hissing if dirt gets in, natural yeah, but this is too much yaar. I drive on a neat highway. in fact 100% highway, not much dirt to be fair and here in kerala though yest it rained, otherwise has been dry for last one month or so. If in rain it happens its understandible.

I think i need to upload a video with sound to make it more clear what i mean by 'sound' or may be some other guy with same p220 could explain better probably.

PS: My bike p220 dtsi july 2009, odo 7k

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 7th April 2010 at 23:23. Reason: typo
Old 7th April 2010, 23:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Plz read my post clearly. I had mentioned that all open chained bikes accumulate dirt but none makes sound like Bajaj.

I think i need to upload a video with sound to make it more clear what i mean by 'sound' or may be some other guy with same p220 could explain better probably.
Well i think you need to do that.

My chain needs replacement and the sound is very much audible but not that someone one the road would notice like you've mentioned.

Does this sound go after you've cleaned the chain and lubed it?

Ive used my friend's P200 and the chain in that was pretty much noisy, but i thought that was pretty much the norm with Bajaj bikes back then.

The P220 Dtsi is built on a budget, so if tiny niggles like this comes up, you pretty much have to bear with it.

Last edited by Grafin : 7th April 2010 at 23:39.
Old 7th April 2010, 23:59   #5
BHPian

I have a P220 too , i dont have any issues with the chain ... but i have an issue with the brakes ... its make very loud keeeccch sound !! i am sick and tierd of complaining and getting it cleaned .

bajaj service guys they them selves have confirmed that the sound is becasue of dust getting into the brake system , only solution to is keep cleaning , thats stupudity !!

Regards
Abhishek.
Old 8th April 2010, 01:42   #6
BHPian

As far as I know this is inherent problem with all Pulsar range bikes. I know its on high side on P220 and P200. I used to have P150 and I just hate its sound from the chain. You can't do anything as service guys knows about this inherent problem.
Old 8th April 2010, 05:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Sam - Sorry to sound negative, I'm sure your case will not hold good for long & Bajaj will send you back home. See, the very reason for high end motorcycles to use belt is to avoid the chain noise & less maintenance. Bajaj will simply say, we never said it will be complete silence & they would simply say compare our chains w.r.t XYZ brand or chain & see the difference and obviously it will be less & then Bajaj will win the case. With chain, yes the noise WILL be there & there're no silent chains with zero maintenance at present in the market.

Like I told before, Sam, I'm not discouraging you, but telling you that instead of fighting, simply start enjoying the sound & its not harming you anyway isn't it? Regarding lubrication, there're so many good chain lubricators available in the market in different price ranges & do that by yourself. A can could cost you around 500-1300 depending on the brand & will last long for couple of years depending on your usage & ride.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Bajaj will simply say, we never said it will be complete silence & they would simply say compare our chains w.r.t XYZ brand or chain & see the difference and obviously it will be less & then Bajaj will win the case.
People jump to compare performance, why not chain noise?

Quote:
simply start enjoying the sound
NOISE
Quote:
will last long for couple of years depending on your usage & ride.
shall last as frequently as you use,
if the person is riding more, he would be using the cleaner and lubricant more
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005
Just have a look at other open chained bikes around - FZ, RTR, R15
No longer ashamed of the fact that i spent 1L on a puny 150cc motorcycle

on a more serious note, i had a P-180 V1 way back in '03 and within the very first 200-300 kms, the chain used to become loose every 20-30kms,
the regional manager was on a visit, i complained, asked him to ride and the next thing was a complete set change with chain and both sprocket,
if the SVC isn't bothered, you may go ahead IMO
Old 8th April 2010, 08:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Sam - Sorry to sound negative, I'm sure your case will not hold good for long & Bajaj will send you back home.
Yup, a +10 to that. Open chains will accumulate dust and tend to be noisy. So thats a slim chance of winning such cases against auto majors.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:20   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yup, a +10 to that. Open chains will accumulate dust and tend to be noisy. So thats a slim chance of winning such cases against auto majors.
if his chain is noisier than other P-220's in neighborhood, it might be replaced
Old 8th April 2010, 09:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

I don't know guys if you're aware of how Judicial system in this country works; pls don't take me that I'm sound like "know it all", but I'm just shedding 2 cents of my experience. IMO, if this were some country in West, I would be the first person to support you. Anyway, long story short, if you're prepared to fight with Bajaj then, Good Luck & last but not the least, check out the below 2 threads about Skoda posted by GTO & Harish fighting on genuine cases.
1. Post 1
2. Post 2

Pls try getting this issue published on a good local media first & then write to Bajaj, get their reply. Just try these 2 things first & then if you still have your spirits up, then lets carry on. This is not a challenge, but a simple test to check on your patience.

Again Sam, I'm not trying to demotivate you, but trying to tell you that you need to have lots & lots of patience, power & money to fight against a reputed Indian company like Bajaj OR have a simple option of changing your motorcycle

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 09:38.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:16   #12
BHPian

I completely agree, its near impossible to win in a court case againt corporates in India, even with worst problems, forget a noisy chain.

I guess it would be impossible to prove that this chain is noisy than the other..kind of allegation. They might say " this is how it is supposed to sound " , and the advocate for Bajaj may suggest " tommorow people would complain that there is sound from engine also " ...

I do not in any way mean to dilute your case.. its just that my experience with courts & Indian systems is speaking.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, your best bet would be to contact the top brass @ bajaj auto first..(i.e. before moving to legal recourse/like). I'm sure they can help you out.

See if this info helps you:

Mr. Rahul Bajaj CMD
Mr. Madhur Bajaj Vice Chairman
Motorcycles, mopeds and go-karts;Mopeds;Motorcycles;Delivery vans, three-wheeler

Bajaj Auto Ltd Bombay - Pune Road Akurdi Pune 411035

+91 20 27472851,+91 20 27406063,+91 20 27476151,+91 20 27406137,+91 20 27406339,+91 20 27406338,+91 20 27406982,+91 20 27407273,+91 20 27406263

Mobile No.:+91 98905 00175

Emails:
vc@bajajauto.co.in, investors@bajajauto.co.in,
gtkavi@bajajauto.co.in, vssumbly@bajajauto.co.in

Plant: Bajaj Nagar, Waluj, Aurangabad
Tel.91-240-2554277 Fax.91-240-2554240
Contact Person: Mr. K.P. Chander (GM)
Old 8th April 2010, 11:39   #14
BHPian

Hi,

I don't think Bajaj can do anything legally or otherwise about it - It is an open chain bike and bound to get clogged with dirt and dust. Legally they are not obliged to pay for lubricating or cleaning the chain periodically - there are certain things that the owner of a bike is expected to do as part of regular usage and this is one such thing.

I keep running my electra and the chain catches a lot of dust and dirt there also. How much is dependent on the quality of lubrication that is being used - If you go to most mechanics, they doll out a few drops of used up engine oil onto the chain and it only helps in gathering more dirt and grime.

Suggest you to clean the entire chain in diesel to get rid of any existing grime and buy a WD40 spray - The WD40 grade is a lubricant that doesn't gather dust and grime so the lubrication is better - Try it out an let me know if you still continue to have this issues.

The spray costs about 150 - 170 rupees and if you keep using it once in every 2 weeks, it will last you for close to 6 or 7 months.

If you still feel that Bajaj as a manufacturer should have done something about it and hence willing to take a legal course, then it is your call - IMHO, it is not going to work out in your favor.

Cheers.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Case wont hold good. High noise is not a defect. It just a irritating charecteristic of this 2x0 series of bike. You need to prove that this noise is causing some mental agony or environmental damage or something similarly atrocious. Please understand - not everything is challenged in the court of law.

Did your bike stop functioning any point in time?
Did it leave you stranded in the middle of no-where?
Did it happen 1-too-many times?
Do you have proof of such instances?
Bills/Invoices from showroom for each checkup? Fault finding?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks