Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 17:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

If its the engine noise that is bothering you, my advice is BUY a nice helmet.

I am a strong advocate against changing the silencer. The only time I rode my bike with a retro was in 2009. The damn thing misfired like crazy and the silencer itself broke up.

Its was during a 1900 km trip.
Old 20th October 2010, 18:26   #17
BHPian

Hey guys,
I have a RE Thunderbird of 2006 vintage.
Here are the modifications I made to the bike:
1. Silencer - Short bottle - Misfires a lot but can be cut down by re-tuning and closing out the Cat converter. Not sure if its the right term. (The secondary pipe that comes out next to the exhaust and redirects to the intake manifold). I found that the bike is a bit peppier at higher RPMs and the misfiring has vanished. Just put a bigger ball-bearing in that and close screw it back. No major mods required to close the cat.
2. K&N Filter - Fitted but carb was not rejetted. Only tuned to run a little richer, but looking at the spark plug, I would say its still a bit lean. Initially there used to be a loud boom at higher rpms (enjoyed it fully), but after a while its not there. Maybe time to clean the filter. Its just run 7K on the filter
3. Straight handle bar - Stock one replaced with a wider straight handle bar. Have to try it on long drives. But its a breeze to maneuver in city traffic, although I hardly use it in city.
4. Electra headlight reflector assembly - The clear lens is hardly useful at night even with better bulbs. The Electra assembly is a straight fit and has a better throw when used with better lights.
5. Square fog lamps on the front crash guard - Would work better if placed at the front turn indicator level. Planning for that change soon. The ones on the crash guard cast a shadow of the front wheel on the road. Have to be adjusted for a better coverage. Night riding is blissful though. They do drain the battery faster if used for a long time even though the bike is running. Next due is to change the battery.
6. Next up - 18 inch wheels - Wider 120/80 rear tyre for better cornering and grip plus it looks nice.

Regards,
Kaustubh

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 20th October 2010 at 18:28.
Old 20th October 2010, 22:47   #18
BHPian

@bblost

I have a nice helmet but the thing is i don't use it while just cruising in the city and its mostly city riding . Helmet is only used for office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
1. Silencer - Short bottle - Misfires a lot but can be cut down by re-tuning and closing out the Cat converter. Not sure if its the right term. (The secondary pipe that comes out next to the exhaust and redirects to the intake manifold). I found that the bike is a bit peppier at higher RPMs and the misfiring has vanished. Just put a bigger ball-bearing in that and close screw it back. No major mods required to close the cat.
I had a sports exhaust fitted (got it for free) earlier but it did not use to give the real thump and yes that also used to misfire at high RPMs but it was fixed by a little tuning. So i am thinking of getting Indori or Goldstar silencer but have not seen any Thunderbirds with it.

Quote:
3. Straight handle bar - Stock one replaced with a wider straight handle bar. Have to try it on long drives. But its a breeze to maneuver in city traffic, although I hardly use it in city.
Please upload some pics, i would really like to see how it looks.

Quote:
4. Electra headlight reflector assembly - The clear lens is hardly useful at night even with better bulbs. The Electra assembly is a straight fit and has a better throw when used with better lights.
Will think over it, what is the cost involved? What bulb are you using?
Old 21st October 2010, 14:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
@bblost

I have a nice helmet but the thing is i don't use it while just cruising in the city and its mostly city riding . Helmet is only used for office.

I had a sports exhaust fitted (got it for free) earlier but it did not use to give the real thump and yes that also used to misfire at high RPMs but it was fixed by a little tuning. So i am thinking of getting Indori or Goldstar silencer but have not seen any Thunderbirds with it.

Please upload some pics, i would really like to see how it looks.

Will think over it, what is the cost involved? What bulb are you using?
The Indori or short bottle silencer sounds good. Remember to close out the cat-con (refer my post above) and the misfiring shall go away.

Check out my garage. It has some close up shots. If you want better pictures, I shall upload them this weekend.

As for the bulb - I will check the ratings and let you know. Dont remember them right now. IIRC, cost should be somewhere between Rs. 350 - 450 + labour.

Regards,
Kaustubh

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 21st October 2010 at 14:01.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

Going a bit OT, sorry.

This happened when I was riding inside a city.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1868903

Think about that the next time you decide to not wear a helmet while inside city limits.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:52   #21

Hi kaustubh_vaze, Pls. post some pictures of the "Cat converter". My TB2006 has a Indoor silencer with glasswool stuffing, at times I feel it misfires (Observed mostly when coming down a steep hill on a lower gear). Regards cjrao
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:26   #22
BHPian

this seems like a decently maintained bike,
buy it if u like Royal Enfields

if you are looking at road presence, thump, a classic feel then go and buy the Bullet Electra/Machismo/Standard

anyways, replace that crash gaurd, it looks bad on the thunderbird.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks