Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 13:46   #1
BHPian

My dream RE - need help

To own a Thunderbird was always my dream but the fact is that my pocket was allowing me to buy one brand new one which costs more than my car (a used Zen).

One of my friend has a Thunderbird kick start with 40K on the odometer, the make should be 2003. I borrowed that bike earlier for 1 month and did 1000 KM on that and it seems to be in good shape apart from that the engine is bit noisy (I think the earlier Thunderbird engine have this problem). I enjoyed the whole ride I did on that bike and I even did a long ride on the bike.

Now I have convinced my friend is that my soul has been stuck up in his Thunderbird and since he is not using it, he has to sell it to me and as and when he wants, I will give him to ride. He has told me to find out the market rate and he said he will not be bothered if i will pay him 2-4 thousand less than the market rate. Note that the bike in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. Pls advice me, how much should I offer/pay him.

I have attached a few photos of that bike.

Also I wanted to know if the fitting a Goldstar silencers with conical baffles from Sans Inc would be good idea. I am not sure which silencer does the bike have right now (can you make out from the pictures?) but it is bit too noisy (which I actually do not mind). Also is it okay to keep the existing one and wanted to know if this is causing some power drop.

Also wanted to know how can I make the existing engine more quiter.

I was also reading in the forum somewhere (which I lost now) about replacing the engine to the RE Standard one (I am not sure what engine does it called). I understood that a new engine of RE Standered is available for 15 K and it is streight fit. Is it still availble for the same price?? Is it a good options.

How about fitting a K&N on the existing engine? How much will it cost? What would be effect?

The headlights are too weak. I have gone thougth the thread on bike lights but could not find any specific sollution for TB 1st gen. Pls advice on the below four options among which one I can choose.

1. I have noticed that the head lamp is AC, can I convert it to the DC. How? What would be impact? Than Can I go for DC 60 W (or similar) bulb.

2. Can I consider fitting extra lights with HID kit? Are they available as a full set as extra light in DIY style? How much should it cost? How much watt does a HID lamp consume? Can I use the extra light and the head lamp together.

3. Can I change the head lamp to 60W with out any change to the wiring?? Will it be helpful? Have any of you done it? Will the alternater be able to take that must of extra load?

4. Can I fit two extra light on the leg guard directly connected to the battery. What maximum bulb size can I use.

PS :: can somebody please refer me a link to know the technical specification of the bike. If somebody have the e-manual, it would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
My dream RE - need help-dscn0185.jpg  

My dream RE - need help-dscn0225.jpg  

My dream RE - need help-dscn0189.jpg  

My dream RE - need help-dscn0217.jpg  

My dream RE - need help-dscn0272.jpg  

Old 9th April 2010, 18:11   #2
BHPian

well one major problem with a Thunderbird (or any of the newer RE bikes) is that they dont age as gracefully as their older CI bikes. This is especially true of bikes which have stayed in Mumbai for some period of time.

This one in the pics above seems to be in good physical condition though. However do check the internals.

IMO the best second hand bulls to look for are the CI electras, of 2004 odd vintage. Run well on long tours and age more gracefully than the TB.
Old 9th April 2010, 18:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
well one major problem with a Thunderbird (or any of the newer RE bikes) is that they dont age as gracefully as their older CI bikes. This is especially true of bikes which have stayed in Mumbai for some period of time.

This one in the pics above seems to be in good physical condition though. However do check the internals.

IMO the best second hand bulls to look for are the CI electras, of 2004 odd vintage. Run well on long tours and age more gracefully than the TB.
I actually hardly know anything about RE bikes hence wanted to ask..

1. What does older CI bikes means??
2. When did the AVL engine introduced in Thunderbird?? I thought if the twin spark = AVL engine.
3. What does the 2003 Thunderbird engine is called??
4. Can somebody please let me have the specification all the RE engines which was available in India (except the vintage once).
Old 14th April 2010, 12:50   #4
BHPian

This is my first thread on the motorbike section and I wonder to receive hardly any responce. Do all the bikers on T-BHP do not want to help each other by sharing their experience or knowledge, pls prove me wrong and post replies on my thread.

PS :: Moderators, can you please change name of this thread to "My dream RE - Need help". I suppose I selected a wrong title.

Last edited by DesertKing : 14th April 2010 at 12:53.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:06   #5
BHPian

1. This Bike has an AVL Engine.
2. This Bike has a short bottle silencer (not stock)
3. CI = Cast Iron Engine = RE Standard 350 Engine
Old 14th April 2010, 13:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

I ride the same model.

You can read about my service stuff here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-pictures.html

Do replace the headlight bulb with a Halogen of the same rating.
It works well and I manage almost all my long distance trips with it.

The problem is not so much the bulb as the headlight lens. If you notice it closely you will observe a pattern cut in the glass. The pattern determines the angle of illumination.
My headlight has a pattern that throws most of the light on the left hand side.
So i adapt my riding to it.

DO NOT REPLACE THE ENGINE.

DO switch back to the original silencer. My bike has given me an amazing ride everytime. The only time I tried it out with a retro, the retro melted after just 600 kms of continuous riding.

If you are one of the thump fanatics, don't buy this bike.
It will never make you happy as the thump will only come thru at 50+ kmph in the 5th gear.

Replace the crash guard. Its not gonna be effective on the highways.

Have fun, take care

Price info:
tb 2003 model with disc brakes done around 40k kms was sold at 37k by a friend of mine.

Last edited by bblost : 14th April 2010 at 13:52.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:42   #7
BHPian

I do not know a lot about TB 1st gen but here in Pune, I was quoted about 50k (negotiable) for roughly a similar year/mileage used TB.
The newer generation Twin Sparks make a lot of noise too. Also I see from the pics that this bike does not have a front disc. So it could be worthwhile getting the disc kit from RE for better braking (about 5k I think).

OT: in your 3rd pic, was someone standing on the bike (at 60kph!) to take that pic? :O

edit: just saw bblost's post, I agree with him about the thump thing..if you want the bike for that, get a used Std/Electra instead. But for a very good ride/presence this bike is amazing.
Indeed do replace the crash-guard with a Diamond/Air Fly type guard as this rod is pretty useless.

Last edited by Abhay : 14th April 2010 at 13:45.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:01   #8
BHPian

Nice looking bike. See my comments in Bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I actually hardly know anything about RE bikes hence wanted to ask..

1. What does older CI bikes means??
Already mentioned by Shashank. It's The Legendary engine of Bullet.
2. When did the AVL engine introduced in Thunderbird?? I thought if the twin spark = AVL engine.
Twin Spark is AVL but not all AVLs are Twin Spark. AVL is all aluminum lean burn engine. All Thunderbirds and Machismos came with AVL only. So take any TB or Machismo it's AVL. Later TB came with Twin Spark.
3. What does the 2003 Thunderbird engine is called??
As mentioned above, it's AVL.
4. Can somebody please let me have the specification all the RE engines which was available in India (except the vintage once).
In general, you can say only 3 types i.e. CI, AVL and AVL with Twin Spark. though CI has various types with heavy crank in earlier model, lighter crank and the 500 CC (old one not the new Machismo 500 with AVL).
Also, don't change the engine. Just maintain it regularly and you will enjoy it. BTW I too own ThunderBird and happy with it.

Pradip.
Old 14th April 2010, 16:19   #9
BHPian

@ Pradipk...

Twinspark is what we know as UCE. Developed in Collaboration with AVl of-course.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
@ Pradipk...

Twinspark is what we know as UCE. Developed in Collaboration with AVl of-course.
Thanks ShashankA for reminding. That just slipped out of my mind while posting.
Old 14th April 2010, 18:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Forgot to mention.
Since its an 03 bike. DO check the condition of tires as well.

Most people would not change it because its only 40k done.
But at 7 years, the rubber would be very hard.

Cost of new tires and tubes will be a bit more than 2k.
Replace the front tire as well. Its a lot more important than the rear.

Cost of a disc brake kit is about 7k.
Really does wonders to your riding.
Old 15th April 2010, 18:52   #12
BHPian

Thanks to all of you for sharing the gyan with me.
Now I can understand a bit about the engines. , I though the AVL engine is not good and it is better to plonk CI engine. Thanks for correcting me.

@ Bblost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Cost of new tires and tubes will be a bit more than 2k....
Cost of a disc brake kit is about 7k.
Really does wonders to your riding.
Well noted your suggestions.

Quote:
I ride the same model.

You can read about my service stuff here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-pictures.html
I have gone thought it earlier also but again read the whole thread and was quite useful as I am novice in the world of RE.

Quote:
Do replace the headlight bulb with a Halogen of the same rating.
It works well and I manage almost all my long distance trips with it.

The problem is not so much the bulb as the headlight lens. If you notice it closely you will observe a pattern cut in the glass. The pattern determines the angle of illumination.
My headlight has a pattern that throws most of the light on the left hand side.
So i adapt my riding to it.
Did you (or any one else) ever tried any higher rating Halogen bulb?? I think it will runing with short of power and thus will not give full light. Still I would like do some R&D (rather trial and error) as I really need bright lights for night drives.

@ pradipk - Thanks pradeep for all the information.

@ Abhay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Indeed do replace the crash-guard with a Diamond/Air Fly type guard as this rod is pretty useless.
Well noted your suggestions for crash-guard. I will change them for sure.

Quote:
OT: in your 3rd pic, was someone standing on the bike (at 60kph!) to take that pic? :O
It was me .

Quote:
edit: just saw bblost's post, I agree with him about the thump thing..if you want the bike for that, get a used Std/Electra instead. But for a very good ride/presence this bike is amazing.
To be specific, I love the look of the bike PLUS the ridding position. I might think to just move forward the brake padal and gear shifter a bit (as in Bajaj Eliminater). Any suggestion?? I think it will make the riding position (read legs positoin) better for long rides. I am not a thump fan but would like to try Goldie on this bike sometimes.

Quote:
The only time I tried it out with a retro, the retro melted after just 600 kms of continuous riding.
What is RETRO, a kind of silencer?? Which one??

================================================

REGARDING PRICE INDICATION ::

Quote:
I do not know a lot about TB 1st gen but here in Pune, I was quoted about 50k (negotiable) for roughly a similar year/mileage used TB.
A new bike is available for 100K and with better engine + discs + self start. Who will buy a 7 years old bike at half the cost, I doubt. Is there any chance to check with the owner that for much he was able to sell it for. Or possibly I could be sold due to such higher price tag.

Quote:
Price info:
tb 2003 model with disc brakes done around 40k kms was sold at 37k by a friend of mine.
This is deadly required information. Here you are talking about a actual deal. So you say 37K for almost a similar bike (but with disc brakes). Since "MY" bike does not have disc, so I should offer him 30K.

PS :: Did I forgot someone.. yes, sorry Shashank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
1. This Bike has an AVL Engine.
2. This Bike has a short bottle silencer (not stock)
3. CI = Cast Iron Engine = RE Standard 350 Engine
I was living with some myths / wrong perceptions. Thanks for the info.
Old 16th April 2010, 16:30   #13
BHPian

DesertKing, not sure I can get that info but if I had negotiated the price would have been closer to 42-44k for that bike (abt 35k on the odo).

Anyways we are talking about Pune, capital of India when it comes to high costs! :-s
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:49   #14
Team-BHP Support

You really don't need a higher rating bulb.
A couple of guys I know did it. But I have not found any great advantage in doing so.

And I do ride in the night, quite a bit. My last RM trip involved riding in the night well upto 3AM. Did not have any issues.

I would say a price of 33-35k is decent for this bike.
But then again the market is crazy and I have no idea about your city.

The retro silencer or the short bottle silencer costs about 1,300 or so.
Its the cheapest alternative to getting the thump.

I prefer the original silencer and will not replace it with anything.
Old 20th October 2010, 17:24   #15
BHPian

@bblost

Even i have a 2003 Thunderbird, i am thinking of changing the silencer. I don't like the tappet noise, need something to shadow it .
Although the original silencer looks the best on this bike but thump is also needed to get the feel of a Royal Enfield. I am not really inclined towards changing the bend pipe because the aftermarket bend pipe's chrome gets faded.
Please guide me on which silencer should i go for? Any cons of changing the silencer? Should i go for the bend pipe also?

P.S. Moderators - If this is not the right thread please support

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks