Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 13:15   #1
BHPian

PULSAR DTSI 150 (2003)- unique problem

i had bought a pulsar dtsi 150 in 2003, when the dtsi was just launched(mine was from the first batches i guess). i was in mumbai at that time. i was too excited to finally get a bike in college after years of coaxing my parents.

but then suddenly after one week,the engine shut down in the middle of the road and the bike just wouldn't start. tried everything but i wouldbnt start. when tired , just left it for some time while thinking what to do next. tried again and it started as if nothing ever happened to it. showed to the service centre but they couldnt tell anything.
then it almost became a routine, whenever the bike was parked in some, it would start initially, but would stop after about 200mtrs and then wouldnt start. i was quite embarrasing to have a new bike stranded almost daily at the college gate. it started only after 15 minutes or so and then it would work just the fine rest of the day.
the service people could never diagnose the right problem and would do something or the other each time. they said its a washer in the fuel tank lid due to which pressure builds up and someting like that. next time something else.
it was very difficult to diagnose the problem as it occured in no fixed pattern and would never get repeated in front of the service people. then i moved back to my home place near NOIDA in 2004. the problem continued off and on and no solution.(not even diagnosis)

finally got rid of the problem (rather the root of it itself i.e the bike) when the bike got stolen in 2006. bought a new bike (apache) after one month and its serving me well since 4 years.

i wanted to post this for quite some time because i wanted to know that did other people faced this problem and what could be the possible reason/solution for this.
thanks.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:34   #2
BHPian

Strange! I have never had such an issue with my bike ('03 P180 classic) in so many years. There was this air lock problem whenever i wrung the throttle on reclamation Bandra, but this occurred very rarely and simply opening and closing the fuel tank lid would solve the issue. My brothers bike ('03 P180 Dts-i) too never had any such problem. Yours could be a One off case.
Ripper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 13:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think your bike suffered from the vapor lock issue which was common in the first lot, it was later rectified as they changed some tube in the fuel pipe line.

The solution was easy, just open the fuel lid & close it back & the bike would start.

I did face this same issue in ZMA too but a lot less. This happened mostly during hot days.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 13:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
the engine shut down in the middle of the road and the bike just wouldn't start. tried everything but i wouldbnt start. when tired , just left it for some time while thinking what to do next. tried again and it started as if nothing ever happened to it.
Ah finally a proof that I am not insane. I have a Jan 2004 Pulsar DTSI and I faced this problem from the day one and its still there. Even after repeated trips to the service cnter, they just laughed stating that Its my perception and nothing to do with the bike as everything is perfectly FINE according to them . I checked with a local mechanic and he also told he didnt find any issue with the bike.

After a lot trials to recreate the issue, I found that when my vehicle is parked in the sun for more than 30 min the problem occurs. There are two ways to start the vehicle when it stalls like this, the first one is as mentioned by you wait for a few minutes till the petrol flow is proper in the line or chnage the petrol flow valve from main to reserve and then start the vehicle.

I believe this is caused due to the petrol getting turned to vapour and the flow of petrol is chocked because of the air lock created. When I went with this news to the service center they checked and told everything is fine. Bugged up with the trips to service center I decided to live with this problem. I always park my vehicle in shade even if I have to walk for 5 min to reach my vehicle. Its better than to be standard in the middle of the road.

Last edited by ElantraGT : 16th April 2010 at 13:48.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:21   #5
BHPian

Hi guys. Welcome to the club. ha ha ha ha.

I have had this same problem with my bike 2003 150DTSi. On hot days especially in the afternoon, the bike used to stop and simply refuse to start whatever i do. Could never show this problem to the servicing guys. Still living with it, but thankfully, i no longer take it out in the afternoons or go for long rides.

I have a small query. Thought i would post it here. My bike was left unattended for the past one year. A week ago, I filled petrol and started using it.

Now i see the following problems:

1. The horn is not working.
2. The indicators and tachometer start working only if I keep the key in a particular position.
3. Once I adjust the key and everything (except the horn) starts working, i see the rpm needle rising till 6K even if the bike is idling. The needle keeps moving and never settles.
4. The engine rpm is also not correct. When I idle, I can hear the rpm rising and falling. From the sound of it, I guess the engine rpm varies between 1K to 3K rpms.

Note: The engine's actual rpm and the reading in tachometer have no relation now. Both keep varying as if it has a mind of it's own.

Can you guys explain why it is so ? Any ideas ? Should I sell it off and buy a new one ? The bike has done more than 50K kms without any problems whatsoever.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:54   #6
BHPian

dude, i had a P180 DTSi - 2003 Nov model. I also had the same problem. My god! i had spent close to 10k on bike service and close to 15 trips to the service center.. i got rid of it and go the discover DTS-si. Been good till now, touch wood.
Old 16th April 2010, 15:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post

2. The indicators and tachometer start working only if I keep the key in a particular position.
3. Once I adjust the key and everything (except the horn) starts working, i see the rpm needle rising till 6K even if the bike is idling. The needle keeps moving and never settles.
4. The engine rpm is also not correct. When I idle, I can hear the rpm rising and falling. From the sound of it, I guess the engine rpm varies between 1K to 3K rpms.

Note: The engine's actual rpm and the reading in tachometer have no relation now. Both keep varying as if it has a mind of it's own.

Can you guys explain why it is so ? Any ideas ? Should I sell it off and buy a new one ? The bike has done more than 50K kms without any problems whatsoever.
Its the electricals buddy. When I returned from US after a year and half, I witnessed the same problems. It was found that my battery was dead and the electricals became erratic. I changed the battery and found that all other problems vanished.
Old 16th April 2010, 15:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have had this same problem with my bike
The bike has done more than 50K kms without any problems whatsoever.

Hehe!

If you plan to use a bike regularly, I would recommend purchasing a new one. Loads of options these days.
Old 16th April 2010, 15:48   #9
BHPian

ok. that means it was not one off problem. the solutions like opening and closing the fuel lid , reserve/main, etc didnt work in my case. they seem to be working because its just time pass and whatever is the last thing we do, we think that made it work.

and yes, it was most common on hot afternoons. and also it would start first and then stop after the fuel in the carburretor is finished. so the problem has to be in the fuel supply.

OT , i wish my bike was stolen in the afternoon, then he wouldnt have been able to take it far away.

Last edited by car-dent : 16th April 2010 at 15:51.
Old 16th April 2010, 17:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hehe!
The first problem never had a solution. But since it happens only at times, i did not consider it a problem at all. Whenever this happens, I wait on the road side talking to someone over the phone and will continue my journey after 5 minutes.

It is only after I covered 50K kms that I kept it idle and now the problems started. Till then it was all fine. That is what I actually meant.

Now, I will not be using it for more than 500kms a month. So am wondering if it would be wise to invest on a new bike. Really confused. If these problems can be rectified easily, i guess i will keep this with me.
Old 17th April 2010, 07:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
One year of not usage would sure have conked your battery, get it recharged or else get a new one.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:05   #12
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions Chipz and EssYouWe. The battery is just more than a year old. Will get it recharged soon and see if other problems creep up.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

To all who have the following problem
For the bike not starting after being parked of switching off while riding, just apply grease or Vaseline, to the rubber seal on the fuel filler cap, the problem is that the rubber harden and sticks to the metal creating a Vapor lock.

@DieselAddikt, get the battery checked and also the ground/earthing, usually these happens when the battery in not charging properly, or there is a serge in the electrical. The electronics in the tach need a constant voltage to actually read the rpm.
dinar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 16:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
i had bought a pulsar dtsi 150 in 2003, when the dtsi was just launched(mine was from the first batches i guess). i was in mumbai at that time. i was too excited to finally get a bike in college after years of coaxing my parents.

but then suddenly after one week,the engine shut down in the middle of the road and the bike just wouldn't start. tried everything but i wouldbnt start. when tired , just left it for some time while thinking what to do next. tried again and it started as if nothing ever happened to it. showed to the service centre but they couldnt tell anything.
then it almost became a routine, whenever the bike was parked in some, it would start initially, but would stop after about 200mtrs and then wouldnt start. i was quite embarrasing to have a new bike stranded almost daily at the college gate. it started only after 15 minutes or so and then it would work just the fine rest of the day.
the service people could never diagnose the right problem and would do something or the other each time. they said its a washer in the fuel tank lid due to which pressure builds up and someting like that. next time something else.
it was very difficult to diagnose the problem as it occured in no fixed pattern and would never get repeated in front of the service people. then i moved back to my home place near NOIDA in 2004. the problem continued off and on and no solution.(not even diagnosis)

finally got rid of the problem (rather the root of it itself i.e the bike) when the bike got stolen in 2006. bought a new bike (apache) after one month and its serving me well since 4 years.

i wanted to post this for quite some time because i wanted to know that did other people faced this problem and what could be the possible reason/solution for this.
thanks.
It seems the tank develops an airlock of sorts. It happend to me once on my 180 ug2. All you need to do is to open the fuel cap and shut it. thats it...the tank cap has breather hole that might have been blocked. i told this to the bajaj guys and I saw him write "tank cap" on his list. Thr problem has vanished ever since.
Old 20th May 2014, 09:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: PULSAR DTSI 150 (2003)- unique problem

Okies... so here is another page on TBHP, dedicated to P150 Dtsi, which thankfully did not die the sudden death after two-three posts.

So what brings me over here and why I am reopening a long lost thread. But obvious pals, I own a P150 DTSi too .

I have always referred to her as my first girl friend, and even after marriage, she holds the position. The date of sale was 28-05-2004 and yes, you have guessed it right, her birthday is approaching fast (10 years, wow!)

The problem that many have referred to in past couple of posts, I think was faced by all, but unfortunately there was no guidance available in those days and Tbhp was not that popular in these parts. The fact that the petrol lead had to be opened up to release the gas, was learnt in through trial and error methods.

Another problem is also there, water getting into the fuel tank. No matter what ever way you park you bike, water is bound to get into it. So what's the solution. Simple, start carrying a screw driver. Below the carb there is a screw which can be opened up to release the petrol. Water being heavy, post rain it will settle down. Just remove the screw, take out the fuel pipe and let some precious liquid gold ooze off. Then reconnect the fuel channel, fix the screw, and start the bike with choke. It will start promptly.

Apart from these two problems, my Pulsar has never ever given me any headaches. It has been my regular ride till the October 2013 (got Amun-Ra) and now its my way of tasting the vintage flavor.

My bike had gone for the company servicing just once(first free servicing) and the way they had handled it, never ever to Bajaj Showroom. From then onwards, it has always been serviced by a little known servicing guy, who with the advent of time, has started the cleaning as well. He (Satish) services good and is located in the PCMC zone. Charges are quite nominal and he never ever approves in replacing any part (nor do I approve either) unless its damn necessary. Hence on my Pulsar you can still see the Rubber gasket that came with the mirror. It serves no purpose to me, but dare anyone try to remove that. Occasionally it goes to Shirish Joshi (at Pune Camp) if there is anything major or if I need a second opinion. The average, though it does not matter, is still worth mentioning is 45 kmpl at the least.

Okies, so above is some of the thoughts I could gather on the go and below is the main purpose why I am here.

It seems that Pulsar has lost its old charm of quick acceleration and comfort. These days, I feel the pain if I want to accelerate her above 50, as seems that the engine is bearing all the burnt. Sprocket etc had been replaced last year but it has not better anything. As advised by Satish, the engine has started to give up smoke and therefore its high time I should go in for a new block piston assembly. I have also observed that gears fail all of a sudden, as if the grooves are no longer existent and it really makes me feel sad. So what I have thought are the following :-

Complete engine replacement
New Electrical Wiring
New pair of shock-absorbers
New Seat.
Original Stickering
New Paint Job

So my dear friends, please can you advise what is the procedure to get original parts of this off - production motorcycle? What will be the price estimates? Off course I cannot take a risk in calibrating a new engine with Satish or Shirish (probably they are more than competent, but do not know why, I think that as a risk). Is there anyone in Pune who can do this stuff, with proper workmanship and dedication and adequate budgeting

But obvious I will never part with the old engine and it will become a show piece for me, properly enclosed in glass.

Here are the most recent images of my prized possession :-

PULSAR DTSI 150 (2003)- unique problem-img_20140519_093438448002_resized.jpg

PULSAR DTSI 150 (2003)- unique problem-img20140519wa0010002_resized.jpg

Best regards,

Bikramjit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks