Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 12:53   #16
BHPian

@Shashank: The lesson here is to isolate the problem that is causing a short or broken circuit somewhere - Jay and I suggesting common areas where this could occur such as; ignition, headlamp, horn, rear brake light wiring etc.. Look for places where there is wear/rubbing, damage to wire, water or something as simple as a disconnected wire.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post
Even a new battery might go dry if the rectifier coil is defunct. If the amp meter doesnt deflect after truning on the ignition then most probably its because of battery.
Since the bike has run just 3000 kms I guess there shouldnt be a major electrical issue.
Get a 12V battery from your friends if possible and try starting with that.
Compeletly agree.
There are a few things to check when somethings like this happens.
1. The new bullets have a chromed battery cover and sometimes it slips on its hinges and causes a shortcuircuit . Recommeded solution a rubber insulation on the battery connectors help.
2.Check if the amp moves to -ve before moving to 0, If its not moving check rectifier coil.
3. check all connections. I've had instances where the cables connecting were loose and the mechanics were wondering whats wrong. check all connection joints
4. Loose Key or key socket can also cause this. best of luck
Old 19th April 2010, 15:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
No reaction on the amp meter.

@ Abhishek - Again my point, battery just cannot die in flash of second. It has to be wiring or something else. Putting another battery does not seem to be the solution here. But what is the voltage of pulsar battery ? I can try and jump my bull with it.
The battery doesnt die in flash of second. But it dies over a period of time if its not getting recharged thru rectifier coil.

I had a similar experience 3 months back when I was using my uncle's bullet. That bike was running on 8v battery and it died because of some reason. (Didnt bother to find out what it was). That time I was not all aware of bullet electricals, and tried 2 days in vain starting the bullet. Later on I got to know that bullet doesnt start if battery is not working. Replaced the battery with 12v one and in just 1 kick the bike started.

In your case if its battery problem, its covered under warranry and you would get replacement for the existing battery.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:17   #19
BHPian

Ok, got it checked, battery is fine.

and Abhishek, I know about the battery logic, however you need to understand that a battery will never die in a running vehicle, in a flash. If I had parked it for sometime and then it did not start, then bettery could have been a culprit. But running bike, goes off in a flash, cannot be battery. has to be something that got shot or went dead.

And there even if the battery is not getting charged, there are signs, weak lights, weak horn or something.

Anyhow, called local mechanic, he connected one of the bettery terminals to the coil and horn worked. All in all, he said he will not handle it and if he makes a direct connection chances of getting shot are very high. So now calling a mechanic from Authorized service station.
Old 20th April 2010, 15:42   #20
BHPian

Ok, so there is a fuse box under the seat as well, its something that is a new addition and was not common in earlier bikes.

So it was fuse, however not the one that we look for, but under the seat one. Have sent the bike to workshop for closer inspection now, to analyse what was the reason for the 'fused' fuse..
Old 20th April 2010, 15:44   #21
BHPian

My Two pennies

The Bull simplifies your life with two places with all your wires converging and mingling with each other. One is inside the headlamp casing. I am guessing you have already given it a thorough check.

The second place is under your seat. You need to remove your seat, and check each wire to see where there is a opening in the sleeve. What has most probably happened is your wiring has lost sleeving under your seat and then shorted on the metal all around it. This would blow the fuse under your seat and leave the one in the tool box unharmed. So check this fuse. Change it if its blown. And then disconnect the lights, horn, etc. Then start reconnecting them one by one. This way you would know which part is the culprit. This is assuming you cant otherwise see a leakage in some wiring.

With two fuses, feel free to play around. The worst you can have is a roasted TCI Coil. Costs about Rs. 750/-. Totally worth the tutorial.

All the best

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks