Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
@Yatharth
Keeping you and your budget in mind

Look no further go for a New R15.

I dont think if anyone has tried the 32mm Carb on a Zma.
and yes HID Can be easily fitted,both on R15 and Zma,i have it on my Zma and friend has it on his 15,but with twin HL set up on 15,it turns night into day.

Regarding Custom exhaust for Zma,i can give you a lead,PM\Call me
I remember riding your ZMA at the last meet i attended and that was when I really appreciated the bike. Even after clocking so many kms it still runs like a dream and felt much more sporty than aki's p180 (with just 10k clocked).

I remember your HID's too but I guess there was some problem with the Horn as soon as the lamps were switched on. Was it due to the HID?

I see alot of support for R15 which I had been expecting. And coming from akshay4587 (one of the most experienced bikers I know) there has to be something about the bike that commands respect.

What problems can I face if go for the used R15 I mentioned about instead of buying a new one?
Like I said its clocked just 1300kms, so does a new r15 command a premium of approx 30000 bucks over this pre-owned example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

. I however tuned the engine to 21 BHP, and I am not complaining any more -

l
21bhp is a very healthy output for R15. Can you give further details about how you managed to extract around 4bhp more than the stock bike? Is there some detailed thread about your bike? If so, kindly provide me the link.

Regards

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 23rd April 2010 at 14:18.
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Mainly for city use
RTR180/160
R15
P220 F/S

Mainly for highways and very little city
P220 F/S
R15
RTR180/160

In the above order.

Of the list i have owned/own 2 bikes. R15 gets the neutral spot since i drove it only for about 6-7 kms and did not ride it the way it was meant to be. Felt the power lacking in low revs and i dont blame the bike as i was not aware of riding it the optimal way.

P220 F is the bike i owned from Sept09 till Feb10. Great bike for highways. Have taken it majorly on straights and it performed very well exceeding my expectations. But it was a pain in the city [for me] in heavy traffic due to its front heavy nature and bulky front fairing. Bajaj PBK was not upto the mark here in B'lore and hence getting the niggles sorted out proved to be an even bigger headache.

RTR160 was a bike i had owned in 2007 and knew about the bike for nearly 5500kms. So went ahead and picked up a pre-owned example in Jan10 for daily commute. 3000 kms and its a breeze in the city with power on tap whenever you want. Going by this the RTR180 should be even better given that its the same weight with more power. Maintenance is not a problem since i get it done from a trusted local mech and am present during the service, oil changes etc so no chance of the local mech cheating.

PS: I am 6'0 and 70kgs.

Hope this helps!
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:26   #18
BANNED

Get a Comet. I always wanted one.
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
I remember riding your ZMA at the last meet i attended and that was when I really appreciated the bike. Even after clocking so many kms it still runs like a dream and felt much more sporty than aki's p180 (with just 10k clocked).

I remember your HID's too but I guess there was some problem with the Horn as soon as the lamps were switched on. Was it due to the HID?

I see alot of support for R15 which I had been expecting. And coming from akshay4587 (one of the most experienced bikers I know) there has to be something about the bike that commands respect.

What problems can I face if go for the used R15 I mentioned about instead of buying a new one?
Like I said its clocked just 1300kms, so does a new r15 command a premium of approx 30000 bucks over this pre-owned example?

21bhp is a very healthy output for R15. Can you give further details about how you managed to extract around 4bhp more than the stock bike? Is there some detailed thread about your bike? If so, kindly provide me the link.

Regards
@YC
HID problem was due to weak battery, 3years down the line it is working fine
And Regarding a used R15 i cant comment without looking at the example you have mentioned.
any reason as to why is he selling after 1300kms at a loss of 25K?
when he can get around 90K for it easily?

@Spitfire
Comet is a big no no
Spares being the biggest issue
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:

My thread is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...xperience.html

I am sorry I don't update it anymore (I know I should) - It doesn't have the tuning info you asked for. I kept the Dyno output for a long time (to scan and post it, but I misplaced it) - I'll see if I can track it.

Also, I got it done unofficially in the Yamaha service center itself.
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I cribbed big time about R15 after shifting from Karizma, till I learnt how to use the bike in the way it was designed to drive.
^^same story
The first time i shifted from the 'zma to the 15 and was doing a short distance highway fun ride to actually get the feel,
was stuck behind a truck in 70kmph in 6th gear, truckie gave way and i opened the throttle,
No Progress,(whereas the zma would ditch its hills and run)
blipped and went three cogs down and she literally lit up

Quote:
But, P220 is more powerful, and there is no denying that. It would be very hard to beat it in straight lines - It would be a totally different story in curves
Motorcycling isn't about straight line, is it?
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:23   #22
BHPian

Hey, the R15 is no doubtly the corner leader here, but my P220 F with its Demon Sport can keep up with a R15 anytime, anywhere.
Also according to me you should get the RTR 180 as its the best city bike you would get in today's world, unless you wait for the RTR 200.
The P220 F can be handled well in traffic, if you know how to.
Old 24th April 2010, 02:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just a small idea... One keeps hearing of all the 250s coming up. Even if that doesn't happen, a 4 valve/cyl Pulsar 220 should happen soon.

Why don't you just go in for any 150 CC for a while before going for something more spectacular?
Old 24th April 2010, 12:00   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Hey, the R15 is no doubtly the corner leader here, but my P220 F with its Demon Sport can keep up with a R15 anytime, anywhere.
Stumped by the p220's handling! - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community - View Single Post - Stumped by the p220's handling!

xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community - View Single Post - Stumped by the p220's handling!

should give you a fair idea, P-220/P-200 handles pretty decent but outrunning an RTR/R15 is way too much and i am just saying about twisties and the guy who made those statements rides on a michelin or pirelli, i am not sure,

Pulsars are heavy handlers as the weight bias is towards the front and the chassis is of by-gone era compared to R15/RTR(track experience)

^^What keeps HH/Bajaj away from tracks?
Old 24th April 2010, 13:08   #25
BHPian

I never said that i can keep up with a R15 on tracks, that was the terms and conditions apply part.
What i meant was that i can keep up with any stock R15 in the city, highways and many hills, but the track is something i wouldnt even try against a R15, its a complete track tool.
The RTR again is a great handler but i would say that not better on a track against a P220 F unless the track was completely full of tight bends and not straight ways, it would handle marginally better that the P220 F but stays behind on long straights or less angle bends.
And the reason why HH/Bajaj stay away from the tracks is to not shame the yamahas and TVSs, by winning by huge margins
Old 24th April 2010, 13:36   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I never said that i can keep up with a R15 on tracks, that was the terms and conditions apply part.
What i meant was that i can keep up with any stock R15 in the city, highways and many hills, but the track is something i wouldnt even try against a R15, its a complete track tool.
Track conditions are ideal to ride as hard/fast as you can because it is safe to do so,
the riding condition-camber/apex is not different from a normal road
Quote:
The RTR again is a great handler but i would say that not better on a track against a P220 F unless the track was completely full of tight bends and not straight ways, it would handle marginally better that the P220 F but stays behind on long straights or less angle bends.
what is a track supposed to be? straights/corners?
^riding up in the hills with inclines and gentle corners P-220 might be ahead of R15 because of its bottom and mid-range
Quote:
And the reason why HH/Bajaj stay away from the tracks is to not shame the yamahas and TVSs, by winning by huge margins
You forgot to mention Honda
Old 24th April 2010, 15:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Or not to make a monkey of their bikes and ultimately their brand image

Last edited by Grafin : 24th April 2010 at 15:17.
Old 24th April 2010, 20:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

@Essyouwee

I know, updated pulsar lineup is not a far fetched idea and that is why there is a big confusion on my side. Somehow, I can't make up my mind.
I love pulsars, especially the 180 and I was mighty impressed with the short ride I had on the 135 too. There is some sort of a character with the pulsars, the 180s/200s may not be road rockets anymore but the way they go about their business surely makes them lot of fun on the streets.

As for the 150s, having ridden the 180 quite a lot, I do not think I should buy a 150cc bike. To me it makes more sense to spend 80K and get a proper big bike (relatively) than to spend 70K and buy an 'almost commuter' bike.
The FZ again makes no sense as I am not into stunting and its a slow bike. I guess even the 135LS can outrun a FZ.

However, the very reason for existence of this thread is that all the current bikes we have been talking about fail a tad short to my requirements.

I like the P220 but then again it may be phased out soon and a better model with handling and weight issues dealt with (just like 135LS) may be out and then it may become tough for me to upgrade as I'll have no resale value for the 220.

At the moment, R15 appeals the most to me. Its a Yamaha so build quality and reliability is a given. I have already experienced a taste of its handling prowess and that is really a big plus for me.
But I am a bit skeptical about its performance on highways (AFAIK R15's rear monoshock offers no settings unlike FZ's which has 9! ) and its engine is a typical old school jap motor which is FUN in capital letters at high revs but nothing exciting below 5000RPM.

As I have told earlier, the main reason that is keeping me from buying the R15 is that I may crib about lack of power all the time.

Also, I am confused if I really need handling prowess above outright engine performance or vice versa.

@abhyanshu

Please explain what is DEMON-SPORT??

Also, my bike in all probability may never hit a track because there is none up here in north. I love the twisties though.

As I have been thinking about a solution to end this confusion, what about if I
go for a used ZMA? I guess a sparingly used example can be bought for around 50-55k. Also, with some tinkering its easy make it run faster than the stock. I have seen and ridden a couple of ZMA with mild modifications/tuning that can do a sub 13 sec dash to 100kmph.
Also, its a well known fact that its the most comfortable bike on the highway (or is the Fazer?) so that deals with the touring issues.
And then after a year when something that suits me hits the stores I can upgrade without much fuss. If not,then I may go for a R15 if I find myself bored with ZMA.

However, how do you people rate the handling of the ZMA?
Also, there are a couple of R15 owners on this thread itself (and some more I know of) who have upgraded from Karizma to R-15, so will it be wise bypassing the R-15 and going for the ZMA instead?

@akshay4587

I'll ask akshay ahlawat to get in touch with you regarding that used R15. He has personally inspected the bike, however I'll like it if you to do the same (if its convenient for you). I'll be in a fair bit of hurry when I'll be at Chandigarh so I do not intend to make decisions there. So, if I have to go for the used R15 I'll have to decide before hand on the basis of the feedback from you and akshay.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 24th April 2010 at 20:20.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:58   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@abhyanshu

Please explain what is DEMON-SPORT??
PIRELLIMoto - SPORT DEMON
Pirelli Sport demon- a soft compound tire which improved the handling characteristic of my P-180,
AFAIK even Techno shall vouch for it(more road biased than Michelin though)
Quote:
However, how do you people rate the handling of the ZMA?
Also, there are a couple of R15 owners on this thread itself (and some more I know of) who have upgraded from Karizma to R-15, so will it be wise bypassing the R-15 and going for the ZMA instead?.
You may go for a used 'zma
It would be unfair to compare the handling of a VFR(touring) against a CBR(track-bred), right?

^^R15 has link type mono whereas Uni/FZ have simple monos
Old 24th April 2010, 23:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

What about the expected 250s?

Is there any confirmed word on that? I guess it will cost quite a bit, but won't it be worth it?

Maybe you can go in for the 135 for now, sell it off once the 250s hit the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks