Team-BHP - TVS Fiero - Verification of Post Accident repairs carried out by A.S.S.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   TVS Fiero - Verification of Post Accident repairs carried out by A.S.S. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/80409-tvs-fiero-verification-post-accident-repairs-carried-out-s-s.html)

Hello folks,

My cousin's TVS fiero had met with a serious accident while one of his colleagues had taken the bike for a ride. The insurance co. said they would approve a certain % of the work carried out the rest has to be shelled out by him

Following are the expenses estimate sheet given by the TVS A.S.S. and I needed your help to know if this makes sense.

Also, an excel sheet has been attached just in case the image is not too clear. Let me know your inputs.please:

IMO don't get it repaired. It makes no sense as the repair cost will be more or similar to the value of the bike. Also it wont be as good as the original thing. And it sure must have been one nasty accident. They are changing everything. Hope no one was hurt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshaymahajan (Post 1858658)
IMO don't get it repaired. It makes no sense as the repair cost will be more or similar to the value of the bike. Also it wont be as good as the original thing. And it sure must have been one nasty accident. They are changing everything. Hope no one was hurt.

Hello Akshay,

The accident was a nasty one indeed, will post the pic of the bike post accident. We had to let the bike be towed away by the service centre guys as the insurance guys said if the job is carried out elsewhere they would not be approving the claim. Its more like a complusion than choice.

Now the question is, how far are the charges legitimate. Depending on your suggestions we can speak with the service centre guys and have them make necessary changes.

The insurance company is willing to pay 65% of the final bill amount and the agent and service centre guys seem to be pretty determined to make sure the bill amount is exhobirant.:Frustrati

I think Your cousin should claim total loss (Provided he has comprehensive insurance) & get the IDV value, It looks like major damage has happened to the bike.

Do not get this bike repaired until you talk with an Insurance expert, I would advise you to get in touch with TBhp Member rjvora.

But keep in mind that if he intends to claim total loss, he will only get the current IDV of the bike & he will have to buy a new bike.

If he does not want to buy another bike then the only option is to get it fixed. The insurance company would not pay 100% as there would be some depreciation on each of these parts. They would however pay full for any labor charges that are applicable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 1858676)
I think Your cousin should claim total loss (Provided he has comprehensive insurance) & get the IDV value, It looks like major damage has happened to the bike.

Do not get this bike repaired until you talk with an Insurance expert, I would advise you to get in touch with TBhp Member rjvora.

But keep in mind that if he intends to claim total loss, he will only get the current IDV of the bike & he will have to buy a new bike.

If he does not want to buy another bike then the only option is to get it fixed. The insurance company would not pay 100% as there would be some depreciation on each of these parts. They would however pay full for any labor charges that are applicable.

We did consider that, however the issue is that the bike was won by him as an award while he was working with Citi Bank for being the best sales guy during that particular year. If we decided to claim a total loss the cheque would be issued to Citi Bank and not him as they are one's whose name appears as the policy holder.

The insurance guy we spoke with said the best is if we get the repairs carried out at the A.S.S. as in that case the cheque would directly be issued to the sevice centre guys and will be a benefit to us.

And that was the prime reason why we had to opt for a TVS A.S.S. :deadhorse

TVS spares seem to be pricey going by what you posted. How old is the Bike? Post the pics of the bike. May be i could help you getting some things repaired other than replacing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantrig (Post 1858641)
Hello folks,

I think they have added 50 to 100 rs more with each spare. There wont be any value for money if you have to shell out 25000, but since the insurance will provide 65% you will have to give only about 10000 rs, that only if you cannot claim total loss as you say.

The list you have provided, everything except the engine has to be changed. By the way how much old is the bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipz (Post 1859290)
I think they have added 50 to 100 rs more with each spare. There wont be any value for money if you have to shell out 25000, but since the insurance will provide 65% you will have to give only about 10000 rs, that only if you cannot claim total loss as you say.

The list you have provided, everything except the engine has to be changed. By the way how much old is the bike.

The spare cost of TVS Fiero have always been high be it the rear view mirror. e.g. - My P150 rear view costs 125 bucks as compared to 250 a piece for my bro's F2 from the A.S.S.

Mantrig it is better to claim total loss for the bike rather than paying the huge sum to the A.S.S. for a discontinued model & that too an accidental one.

Just visit in person the spares department of this and other A.S.S centres and cross verify the prices that have been quoted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARDEEP (Post 1859639)
it is better to claim total loss for the bike rather than paying the huge sum to the A.S.S. for a discontinued model & that too an accidental one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantrig (Post 1858996)
We did consider that, however the issue is that the bike was won by him as an award while he was working with Citi Bank for being the best sales guy during that particular year. If we decided to claim a total loss the cheque would be issued to Citi Bank and not him as they are one's whose name appears as the policy holder.

The insurance guy we spoke with said the best is if we get the repairs carried out at the A.S.S. as in that case the cheque would directly be issued to the sevice centre guys and will be a benefit to us.

And that was the prime reason why we had to opt for a TVS A.S.S.

Seems like he has limited option. If you give it for servicing to anyone other than TVS, then you wil have to give more than 15k without insurance. It is better to get this done in 10k than give the bike as scrap.

Total loss claim would have been the best option. WHy dont he talk with the citibank manager to see if anything can work out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipz (Post 1859793)
Seems like he has limited option. If you give it for servicing to anyone other than TVS, then you wil have to give more than 15k without insurance. It is better to get this done in 10k than give the bike as scrap.

Total loss claim would have been the best option. WHy dont he talk with the citibank manager to see if anything can work out.

Hello folks,

Thank you so much for your replies.

The bike is a 2004 Dec model and the engine was perfect till till accident took place. Hopefully I should have a picture somewhere on my system, will upload it once I have my hands on it.

The problem is that we are in a tight situation where the only way insurance could be claimed was by getting the bike repaired at A.S.S. I did check with my local mech and he said the expenses would be approx. 15K and by using genuine spares from the co. store. But sadly, even that was not practical as we would have to shell out the entire amount.

My prime reason for getting this thread started was to understand if the prices quoted by service centre guys is fine or should I negotiate the on the final bill. The insurance guys and service centre guys are pretty much in sync and harping about the bill being lower than what it would have costed me otherwise and which I know is not true.

Once again, thank you everybody for sharing your inputs - Its just that we are not left with much of a choice but to go with the service centre.

Now thats a 6 year old bike. As per the info given i read that the bikes insurance stands in the name of the company your friend is employed with which means in this case too the cheque (difference amount) will be issued in the same name, so youve got to figure out a way to claim that as well. Didnt you take a quote from any other auth. service center? Could have helped a bit. Seeing the list above its best to claim insurance. Build a good relation with the service/accident repair shop manager, may be grease his palms a bit and you could expect some discounts. And ya the prices seem to be okay as per the A S S standards. Go ahead and get the job done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper (Post 1862889)
Now thats a 6 year old bike. As per the info given i read that the bikes insurance stands in the name of the company your friend is employed with which means in this case too the cheque (difference amount) will be issued in the same name, so youve got to figure out a way to claim that as well. Didnt you take a quote from any other auth. service center? Could have helped a bit. Seeing the list above its best to claim insurance. Build a good relation with the service/accident repair shop manager, may be grease his palms a bit and you could expect some discounts. And ya the prices seem to be okay as per the A S S standards. Go ahead and get the job done.

Thank you for the input Ripper,

Post you comment visited the service centre and had the insurance guy also along, went for a chai and spoke about the expenses in detail. Finally, managed to get a discount of 15% on the final bill (the service centre guy said he will adjust it against some employee discount) which is good enough I feel.

The final bill amount is Rs. 21,500/- and all we have to shell out is 7,500/-, rest is being taken care off by the insurance guy who will be giving them a cheque on Monday. Did not have to grease their palms but all I did was had a lunch with them which costed 200 bucks. clap:

Thank you everyone for helping me save some cash and all the valuable inputs. :thumbs up

Mods :- We can close the thread now since the issue has been resolved.