Team-BHP - Contemplating on acquiring an RX 135
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Contemplating on acquiring an RX 135 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/80626-contemplating-acquiring-rx-135-a.html)

Hi.
For a few months now I have been contemplating on buying an RX135
whenever I sight an RX135 on road I just want to own one myself,
but then the thought that the bike is not in production for almost a decade so how am I going to get through spares, maintainence etc makes me want to not buy it.:Frustrati

Flashback to 2003 I had a brief stint with my friend's RX135 when I was in college. Loved the bike but could not buy one myself because financial conditions and family did not permit.

Currently i own a Standard 350 and enjoy every bit of it, so the Rx135 would probably end up becoming my 2nd bike.
so my question is if I give in and buy an RX135.

1) Which 1 should i buy a 4 speed or 5 speed?
2) How are the availability of spares for both? Does Yamaha A.S.S still provide spares and service?
3) Since I am in Bombay how much would it cost ?

I am looking for something post 2000 because of the age factor but I am open to models pre-2000 depending upon the condition

I have been browsing the net and have come across a few RX135's in Bombay and the prices for them vary from 16k to 30k.
I have only the pictures of these bike so cant comment on what basis they are charging these prices.
please: help me out. Any help would be very much appreciated.

get a 5 speed if you can.can be costly compared to a 4 speed. 5 speed -better top end, 4 speed - better lower & mid range . spares are getting rare and costly due to many 2 stroke entusiasits started restoring thier RX.s , being the last chance to do so. but still spares can be found if checked at the right places.a lot of imported chinese & taiwanese cylinders etc.. around. be careful.a lot of guys are sitting on a pile of spares expecting good business oppurtunity ahead !! most of the RX spare prices 've gone up 100 % !!

good luck

Welcome to the world of patience & 2 stroke :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron (Post 1864524)
1) Which 1 should i buy a 4 speed or 5 speed?
2) How are the availability of spares for both? Does Yamaha A.S.S still provide spares and service?
3) Since I am in Bombay how much would it cost ?

1. 5 speed is better, but 4 speed is none the less; see if you can get a 5 speed.
2. 5 speed parts are little rare to obtain; I'm talking this from my experience from Chennai, Bangalore & NCR.
3. Cost? I'm not sure what you mean. I could only think MRP; if you're expecting an answer from different point of view, pls let me know.

Quote:

I am looking for something post 2000 because of the age factor but I am open to models pre-2000 depending upon the condition

Not necessary; a 98 RX could be maintained single handedly well & a 2003 model could've been abused a lot. So when you zero in on the specific model, take it to a mech whom you trust & get it checked.

Good luck on your new venture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgev (Post 1864601)
.a lot of imported chinese & taiwanese cylinders etc.. around. be careful.a lot of guys are sitting on a pile of spares expecting good business oppurtunity ahead !!

Err...did you mean Malaysian? RXK cylinders are not available in China

georgev & aargee Thank you for your prompt replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1864603)
3. Cost? I'm not sure what you mean. I could only think MRP; if you're expecting an answer from different point of view, pls let me know.

I meant cost of spares. Are the spares sold as per M.R.P or is it a seller's market?

Is the Yamaha A.S.S in bombay still providing spares and services for these bikes?

one more question.
which one is better RX135 OR RXG?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron (Post 1864729)
I meant cost of spares. Are the spares sold as per M.R.P or is it a seller's market?

See it depends on where you purchase; I would buy it always from authorized distributor; if you know the person very well, then he will give you a good discount; as far my knowledge goes, a good spares dealer (not the distributor) makes about 17% profit; I get about 5-6% discount. To answer your point, it depends on the rapport you've with the person you're buying; any Y.A.S.S sells at MRP & again, the rapport helps you a lot. But for sure, cylinder's are sellers market.

Quote:

Is the Yamaha A.S.S in bombay still providing spares and services for these bikes?

Should be. In Chennai yes, but still little difficult to obtain parts such as
Cylinders (almost no)
OE Minda Keyset (old model) - big NO
Pilot lamps (RHS) - big NO
5 & 4 Speed Gear Assy
12V CDI Magneto Assy
Clutch Assy
Rear Swing Arm
Front Fork Assy
Steering Assy

Quote:

one more question.which one is better RX135 OR RXG?

RX135; RXG had timing issues & Yamaha rectified it later; still my vote is for RX135. I mean, just look around you, are there more RX100 or RXG?

Iron, I just had a second read over your post.

Quote:

I just want to own one myself, but then the thought that the bike is not in production for almost a decade so how am I going to get through spares, maintainence etc makes me want to not buy it.

Quote:

Flashback to 2003 I had a brief stint with my friend's RX135 when I was in college. Loved the bike but could not buy one myself because financial conditions and family did not permit.

If you're really in love & passion, you'll not be concerned about the spares or maintenance.

Though not related with RX, read this about a passion of guy who restored his RD350 to US spec. Note that the spares of RD350 is even much difficult than RX. To cut it short, its much easier than 350, but you need have a lot of patience & that's the reason I said the below
Quote:

Welcome to the world of patience & 2 stroke

I own 4-speed RX135 since 13 years. No issues with spares in Pune at least. I have had problem only once when it took time to get CDI assembly. Servicing should not be an issue as well.

dude go for it!
nothing comes close to the fun of an rx135. i got a 5 speed some time back. and its a great little bike.
spares are absolutely no issue. you can even get them at yamaha dealers. if you find a 5 speed, try and pick it up for less than 25k. you ll end up spending 10+ on it. 5 speeds start deteriorating fast after running about 15k kms. be ready to rebore it then.
for 4 speeds, they are pretty much hassle free. and loads of low-medium range performance upgrades available for these bikes.
pick up a 4 speed if you dont have aany other vehicle to commute. 5 speed for recreation and weekend fun.

Guys i am sailing in the same boat ...

I have yesterday seen 2 bikes one is a 5 speed 135 ' 98 make &
other one is 4 speed 100 ' 86 - (japanese mill)

now the Person selling have issues with papers for the rx100 , he wont sell unless
he gets the papers for that bike and to my surprise he has full paper work for the 135cc , Plus on top of that he is quoting rx100 at 20000 grands against rx135 at 17000
INR

I test drove both these bikes , rx100 had a very crisp & trebelish note to it sounded like the 2 stoke suzuki shogan - from the ' NO PROBLEM ad '
while the rx135 had a enhanced Bass note to it ... I got a chance to rip in South Mumbai area almost touched 60 quickly felt good in both these bikes

Now i am having to know from all yamaha gurus out here ... if a BULLETIER Opts a zippy prospects like the RX Series for commuting from home to office in city trafficking for 5 days in a week what can be the Best Outcome ???
while i am open to hear comments about the prices as well on either of these 2 variants

Thanks
TND

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1864919)
If you're really in love & passion, you'll not be concerned about the spares or maintenance...

I would love to own one but then not just for the sake of owning. It should run hassle free with the occasional maintainence and spares change. Spending money will not be a problem as long as i know it will give me good returns. But if the spares are not available or i end up getting some substandard crap then i 'll only end up becoming a regular cash cow for the mechanic i visit. i m a sedate rider and ride between 60-80kmph with occasional bursts up to 100kmph if the roads permit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrogary (Post 1865229)
dude go for it!
nothing comes close to the fun of an rx135. i got a 5 speed some time back. and its a great little bike.
spares are absolutely no issue. you can even get them at yamaha dealers. if you find a 5 speed, try and pick it up for less than 25k. you ll end up spending 10+ on it. 5 speeds start deteriorating fast after running about 15k kms. be ready to rebore it then.
for 4 speeds, they are pretty much hassle free. and loads of low-medium range performance upgrades available for these bikes.
pick up a 4 speed if you dont have aany other vehicle to commute. 5 speed for recreation and weekend fun.

Thanks for your reply . Are u sure 5 speeds start deteriorating on 15k kms. I thought it depended on the way the we handled them. This bike is going to be used as a daily commuter. After reading through this and other forums many have suggested to opt for the 5 speed since its better in terms of power delivery due to the 5th cog along with a few other technical advantages over 4 speed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by torqueyTND (Post 1865245)
Gt ...

he gets the papers for that bike and to my surprise he has full paper work for the 135cc , Plus on top of that he is quoting rx100 at 20000 grands against rx135 at 17000 INR
Now i am having to know from all yamaha gurus out here ... if a BULLETIER Opts a zippy prospects like the RX Series for commuting from home to office in city trafficking for 5 days in a week what can be the Best Outcome ???
while i am open to hear comments about the prices as well on either of these 2 variants

Thanks
TND

hey TND
If your not going to buy the RX135 then let me know i will check it out.
As far as the outcome is concerned both bikes belong to different era. You will enjoy both of them.

@Iron - Trust me, finding parts are little difficult & again it depends on what you're looking for; things such as air filter, friction plates, speedo meter assy, kicker assy, turn lights, footrest, handle bar, tank (not the 5 speed), seat, side panels, front & rear fenders, kicker, gear shift are all easy to obtain. When you buy, check out if the cylinder, carbs, crank casing, clutch assy, kicker assy, CDI magneto, forks are all in good condition since they're NO to little difficult to obtain.

As a matter of fact, tank & frame will be available upon order & takes about 7-10 days for the shipping to arrive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135 (Post 1864936)
No issues with spares in Pune at least.

Quote:

spares are absolutely no issue. you can even get them at yamaha dealers.

@RX135 & Nitrogary - Is it? Could you let me know if RX135 front forks, rear swing arm, 5 speed gear assy are available with an Yamaha authorized distributor or Yamaha dealer? If yes, pls let me know since I'm looking for these parts for over 4 months now.

Quote:

5 speeds start deteriorating fast after running about 15k kms. be ready to rebore it then.

Are you sure? Could you throw some light here pls?

Quote:

and loads of low-medium range performance upgrades available for these bikes.

Could you also let us know the medium range performance upgrade parts that are available? I would be interested for RX135

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron (Post 1865511)
It should run hassle free with the occasional maintainence and spares change.

Yes it will, provided, you're the only person handling & ensure that all the parts are mint. Probably as Nitro says, you will need to restore when you buy a used one. Again, restore depends on what you restore & how you do it.
Type 1 - Change cosmetics for now & keep it running.
Type 2 - Type 1 + fix all the emergency parts, plan for important ones & leave the rest
Type 3 - Type 2 + change all important parts (such as crankshaft assy, piston, gear & kicker axle, reed valves,head, yoke, front forks (new or recondition)) even if they're in good condition
Type 4 - Change all the parts whether or not it is necessary (crazy)

Most commonly, people do Type 1 & Type 2. So you can understand from this as how long the vehicle will last depending upon the restoration you carry out.

Quote:

But if the spares are not available or i end up getting some substandard crap then i 'll only end up becoming a regular cash cow for the mechanic i visit.

Well said & I appreciate your thought on this. Answering to the point, as of now, you'll get most of the parts, I would say except for few parts, say about 4-5 assemblies, you'll be able to get all of them & if you wait, you can get that too, but not sure on the time lines.

Quote:

After reading through this and other forums many have suggested to opt for the 5 speed since its better in terms of power delivery due to the 5th cog along with a few other technical advantages over 4 speed.

The gear ratio is one, second being the 5 speed cylinder is 14BHP compared to the 4 speed cylinder of 12 (11.8) BHP and the sprocketing. Can you believe that most of the parts are the same for RX100, 135 & 5 speed motorcycle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1865683)
..... Can you believe that most of the parts are the same for RX100, 135 & 5 speed motorcycle?

Aargee you serious :eek:? that should be really good in terms of getting spares.:D

How much petrol does a well tuned stock RX135 ( 5 speed and 4 speed) consume when driven in the range of 60-70km/hr and occasional bursts to 80- 100 km/hr provided the road permits. Gradually accelerating not ripping it as such,

I would look at the condition then decide, cosmetics are last on my list. i will definitely change spares that are not working or nearing the end of their life cycle.

Nitro when you bought your RX135 what are the parts that you ended up replacing. Can you please list them along with their cost so I can get an idea.

Any RX owners in the vicinity of Andheri (west), Bombay?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron (Post 1865921)
Aargee you serious :eek:? that should be really good in terms of getting spares.:D

I didn't quite understand this statement.

Quote:

How much petrol does a well tuned stock RX135 ( 5 speed and 4 speed) consume when driven in the range of 60-70km/hr and occasional bursts to 80- 100 km/hr provided the road permits. Gradually accelerating not ripping it as such,

See it depends on the cylinder; stock should probably give you around 30-35; the oversizes depends. See I could be completely wrong here as I haven't checked my motorcycle's mileage in last 10 years & I'm serious.

Quote:

I would look at the condition then decide, cosmetics are last on my list. i will definitely change spares that are not working or nearing the end of their life cycle.

So you're planning something like Type 2. Just remember that you're striking a balance between money & parts; but the problem is, there're good parts, worn out parts & partially worn out parts. Now, if you replace the worn out parts, the good parts will be just fine, the partially worn out parts will make out the replaced parts worn out even soon. To give you an example, say, the kicker axle is partially worn out & the kicker lever is worn out. Now, if you replace the kicker lever & you'll right the allens to its fullest. Since the kicker axle's thread are worn out partially, it will contribute to wearing out the thread of kicker lever too. So after few days, you'll land up replacing both. Now you'll start thinking, I just change the kicker lever few days back & why am I changing it again? The bike is bad.

Quote:

Nitro when you bought your RX135 what are the parts that you ended up replacing. Can you please list them along with their cost so I can get an idea.

I thought you didn't have any constraint on the money

Quote:

hey TND
If your not going to buy the RX135 then let me know i will check it out.
As far as the outcome is concerned both bikes belong to different era. You will enjoy both of them.

Well I am Buying the 135 & i am sure i will be restoring it with help
of a friend who owns his Dad's Rx100 88 model whom he single handily upgraded to a rx135 very recently & in pristine condition

Brother : DONT WORRY ABOUT PARTS , THEY ARE AVAILABLE IN MERRY

The RX era still breathes ...

Cheers
TND:thumbs up