Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

@Wanderlust - I sail in the same boat as yours; travel about 68 Kms everyday & here're some of my thoughts to share with you. They're no way recommendation for any specific motorcycle, but thought in similar lines of yours, like the distance, the comfort, the speed, reliability, last but not the least, maintenance. Pls read the below at leisure as its a lengthy post but then, that is what was & still sometimes running on my mind.

As you said, I like to have a powerful motorcycle to commute that leaves choices to me such as Ninja 250R, Classic 500 (C5), TBTS, R15, ZMA/R, RTR 180, P220, P200. I'm deliberately not including models such as FZ16, CBZ, RTR 160 Fi as the list would be too long to discuss. Having said these models, the foremost condition that I was looking was, straight sitting position which means street model that requires no leaning effort. Now that eliminates R15 straight away. Now the Pulsar family comes with a question on quality & little bit of reliability. The Ninja is way too good, but for its lean riding position & price & the very thought of riding it to office gives me nightmares. RTR & Unicorn were of good choice as they offer a better riding position than anything discussed so far, has good power & build quality. But the comfort on C5 & TBTS defeats everything else but for the niggling issues from RE.

I see both the pros & cons with every model that I sorted out & couldn't come to a good conclusion as which one to settle with. So my next step was to weigh the cons with every model without losing the comfort. The list went on something like TBTS, C5 followed by ZMA, Unicorn & RTR 180. I heard enough stories on RE & TVS & hence finally thought, if I were to settle in, I should opt for ZMA/R & one more reason being that ZMA is considered one of the best touring motorcycle in India. Though the ZMA/R gives a comfortable seating position, I'm a person who loves the retro or classic style motorcycle, so the fairings & other things don't appeal to me. So the question still remains to me as which motorcycle?

But personally I would love to buy TBTS plonked with UCE 500CC engine.

Last edited by aargee : 3rd May 2010 at 20:22.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

My replies in bold !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I will list down a few bikes & there cons & pros

Honda Unicorn - Comfortable for covering those distances, with no hassles. Slightly boring bike with no Gizmos

HH Hunk - Same as Unicorn, a bit stylish but the scoops might put you off. Big A.S.S. Support, one of the cheapest in 150 cc segment yet a good bike.

Not same as Unicorn, Unicorn pumps 13.3 BHP while the HH Hunk and CBZ X pump 14.4 PS , due to a slightly modded cam. Both Hunk and CBZ X have lesser FE than the Unicorn. Agree with you that it IS a boring bike, fit for the older mature commuters.

HH CBZ Xtreme - Slightly more sporty & less FE wrt to the Hunk. Looks are not to everyone's liking

Both Hunk and CBZ X share the same chassis and engine. Riding posture is also the same. Only thing is that the Hunk has got GRS gas charged shocks at the rear while the CBZ X has LED tail lamps. Both are equally sporty !

Bajaj Pulsar - The 150 is good for the commute with good FE & Comfort, Spares are cheap. Some parts could be iffy but would get replaced in warranty if at all the need be(should not be an issue as 150 is the most reliable of all Pulsars)

The new UG 4.5 150 is quite a looker. It has got better horns (that come with the new 180 and 220), a larger carb which ups the power to 15 PS.

RTR - While its a good bike with great pickup & handling, the riding posture isnt too comfy, so I wouldn't recommend this

Also the annoying vibes ! That build up with age.

FZ16 - A good bike to travel with decent power & comfort, seat for pillion is very small & could be an issue for traveling longer distances with pillion

FE is very low (in league of the Karizma) given that it is a 150 cc.

Karizma - Best bike for Touring & traveling long distances in comfort(for both rider& pillion) even with pillion with enough power at tap. Spares are slightly expensive & mileage is just Ok

Yes. Expensive spares. Just an example, the disc pads cost around 2k! Costlier than the disc pads of few cars! And there the timing chain issues, the rear brake bulbs competing with each other upto who would fuse out first, body panels that give way after a few thousand kilometres, the trip meter and clock resetting itself during startups, etc. But all this is offset by the pleasure you get while riding it and the attention it gets on road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Unicorn is a good highway bike. Isn't it a bit old to look at? Wont CBZ extreme or similar avatars be a better option?

Yes, you are right.

Apache;emm, space at rear wasn't what I liked. Brilliant bike though.

Apaches have the worst pillion comfort. And the annoying handlebar and footpeg vibes

Last edited by DRIV3R : 3rd May 2010 at 20:31.
Old 4th May 2010, 00:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Karizma ,best commuter ever

good low end torque, no vibration till redline, comfortable seating, easy to handle, no nonsense bike
Old 4th May 2010, 00:31   #19
BHPian

I am not sure if you happened to take a look at TVS FLAME yet. This is a no-nonsense bike and falls in the executive bike category.

It surely is NOT the most powerful one in the block but packs decent torque for doing a quick one from signal to signal.

Give it a drive

Cheers
Old 4th May 2010, 11:46   #20
BHPian

Wow!

Thanks one and all for the enthusiastic response to my queries.

I must admit that of late I have not been following 2-wheeler launches and the Suzuki GS150 came as a surprise. I am going to follow all your suggestions and this weekend is going to be packed with test drives and dealer visits.

The bikes I am going to try out during the next 2 weeks are:

1. Bullet - havent decided which model, lemme check them out at the dealer.
2. Karizma - old design, but proven for long rides.
3. Suzuki GS150
4. Pulsar 220S

Would anyone suggest the Ninja 250R as a daily use commuter bike? I am willing to take a loan to stretch my budget to meet this bike's cost.

By the way, maybe this will help the experts pick a bike for me I am 6-foot and weigh 82kg.

Thank you again!
Old 4th May 2010, 11:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Would anyone suggest the Ninja 250R as a daily use commuter bike? I am willing to take a loan to stretch my budget to meet this bike's cost.

By the way, maybe this will help the experts pick a bike for me I am 6-foot and weigh 82kg.
Yes, provided you can bear with the following 2 things
1. You like the little lean riding posture than the straight & laid back position
2. People surrounding your motorcycle curiously in the parking lot & to find some little surprises to fix or change in the evening

Hope you're aware that Ninja can be serviced only at Bajaj ProBiking showroom & not sure how far is that from your home.

A friend of mine in Bangalore was delivered TBTS by 2nd April that was booked somewhere by last week of Feb. So, when you have a dealer visit, pls ask them the waiting period for each model that you choose.

Last edited by aargee : 4th May 2010 at 11:58.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I must admit that of late I have not been following 2-wheeler launches and the Suzuki GS150 came as a surprise. I am going to follow all your suggestions and this weekend is going to be packed with test drives and dealer visits.

3. Suzuki GS150
4. Pulsar 220S

Thank you again!
buy it if you can stretch your budget,but riding position isnt that comfortable for commuting
i know someone who commutes to his work place often on a ZX-10R.
otherwise karizma would be a nice pick from the bikes you have mentioned
Old 4th May 2010, 12:36   #23
BANNED

GS150R is a good 150cc bike from a commuting point of view. Probably some experts who have used bullets can share more details on the bullets,thunderbirds etc for the benefit of the members.

Cheers
Old 4th May 2010, 12:39   #24
MCR
BHPian

Quote:

3. Suzuki GS150
4. Pulsar 220S

Thank you again!
But I am not sure that Pulsar is a good bike for long distances / comfort. I used to get pain in my elbow and fell senseless near the thigh area on the Pulsar 180 after about 30 minutes of riding. This was in 2007 when my friend was out of india and I was taking care of his bike. I am afraid many of my friends who have pulsars 150/180/200/220 have suffered slip discs and they are all around 30 years old.I still feel cruisers like Bullet / Avenger / Enticer are good for comfort.

Last edited by MCR : 4th May 2010 at 12:40.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

MCR,

That is probably your experience. I've used the P180 for >2500-3000km/month and even taken it to Ladakh. That your pulsar friends had bad backs is coincidence.

FWIW, I almost had a slip disc myself - and couldn't commute via car (Alto/Indica). I was most pain free .... on my Pulsar

@original poster - Karizma anyday. P series too - but i no longer trust Bajaj cost cutting.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Karizma ,best commuter ever

good low end torque, no vibration till redline, comfortable seating, easy to handle, no nonsense bike
One thing is missed is the clutch, which is much much better. Try riding a pulsar or Apache in a hot day with traffic, the clutch becomes like on/off switch which i found every irritating. But Karizma its very progressive same for the front disk brakes, i know the brake pads cost(2.2k, there are cheaper alternatives like the one from cbz extreme but i will suggest originals nissin) but the progression they provide while braking is awesome, not like on/off thing found in most of the bikes.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the Ninja 250R is a street bike if i can say that. Its not a tourer for sure. Ample power and the ergonomics are spot on. But riding in traffic (stop n go) can be uncomfortable as the bike tends to heat up quite a bit.

The riding position is not as aggressive as the R15 though. On the 250R it is almost neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
1. You like the little lean riding posture than the straight & laid back position
2. People surrounding your motorcycle curiously in the parking lot & to find some little surprises to fix or change in the evening

Hope you're aware that Ninja can be serviced only at Bajaj ProBiking showroom & not sure how far is that from your home.
Waiting period on the Ninja is now down to 45 days. I booked mine on 18th March and will be taking delivery the day after tomorrow. Servicing of the ninja is only done at an exclusive bajaj service center. Not all the service centers are trained and equipped to service the ninja. If you are gonna use it as a daily ride, then be ready for all the attention... negative also, meaning people will sit on the bike and fiddle with it.

If you want to go for a ninja and are confused, look up the ownership thread posted by balenopower. I will put up a detailed one in a week or so. Hopefully it'll help you decide against it or for it.

All the best.
Old 4th May 2010, 14:53   #28
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
MCR,

That is probably your experience. I've used the P180 for >2500-3000km/month and even taken it to Ladakh. That your pulsar friends had bad backs is coincidence.

FWIW, I almost had a slip disc myself - and couldn't commute via car (Alto/Indica). I was most pain free .... on my Pulsar

Good to know about your positive experience. May be its a coincidence in my friend's case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Well the Ninja 250R is a street bike if i can say that. Its not a tourer for sure. Ample power and the ergonomics are spot on. But riding in traffic (stop n go) can be uncomfortable as the bike tends to heat up quite a bit.

The riding position is not as aggressive as the R15 though. On the 250R it is almost neutral.

Waiting period on the Ninja is now down to 45 days. I booked mine on 18th March and will be taking delivery the day after tomorrow. Servicing of the ninja is only done at an exclusive bajaj service center. Not all the service centers are trained and equipped to service the ninja. If you are gonna use it as a daily ride, then be ready for all the attention... negative also, meaning people will sit on the bike and fiddle with it.

If you want to go for a ninja and are confused, look up the ownership thread posted by balenopower. I will put up a detailed one in a week or so. Hopefully it'll help you decide against it or for it.

All the best.
@n_aditya,
Can you please let us know more about your purchase decision like test drive, booking and showroom experience and the OTR for Ninja 250?

: @Wanderlust, Sorry for Highjacking your thread. I may be in the market for a bike by end of this month and my 'wants' is somewhat similar to your's and hence I am glued to this thread.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:06   #29
BHPian

I currently have a Hero Honda Hunk and its been 2 years plus now. I have covered 25000 odd KMS in Bangalore city traffic.

After driving Suzuki Sumarai, TVS Fiero F2 driving Hunk is just different. Its very comfortable and has a excellent pickup and ride quality.

I am not a racer but if you are going to drive in a average 50 /60KM speed you get a good mileage of 45 KM/LTR. Have tried upto 90 KM speed in the new airport road. The bike is very stable.

Service of Hero Honda is excellent and the service charges are also very nominal.

I daliy travel around 50+ KMS and I can assure the driving comfort in city traffic.

It would be really worth a buy.

Last edited by kadri007 : 4th May 2010 at 15:07.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
@n_aditya, Can you please let us know more about your purchase decision like test drive, booking and showroom experience and the OTR for Ninja 250?
Well there are no Ninja's available for test rides. Whatever made me decide to go for it has been owner reviews. Moreover its a cult bike from the kawasaki stable. The ninja 250 apparently outsells the ZX6R, dunno how true that is though.

Overall the experience has been good till now. For a detailed report you'll have to wait a few more days. I'll put up a detailed thread on the entire experience, with pics.

If you are looking for a decent entry level sports bike then the 250R is for you. Costwise it sells for 5000 GBP excl. insurance in the UK (IIRC) so there is not much difference in the prices here. Duties are low as it is imported as CKD kits. If you are looking for a more powerful machine like a 600+ then the Ninja 250 is good to start with. Ninja's are better known for handling rather than outright acceleration or top speed. Various add-on's like full system exhausts, slip-on's and power commanders are available off the shelf (ebay) for this bike too.

OTR in Blore is 3.19 Lacs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks