Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 17:06   #31
BHPian

A Bull rider's POV

Hi Wanderlust,

Won't be telling you anything about the other bikes being discussed here, cuz I am a bulleteer and would therefore have an auto-aversion to plastics.

I am 6'1'', weight around the 90 kilos mark, so not too far off from where you stand. 30 kms each way in Bangalore- that would mean you most probably stay a little outside the city and your 30 kms are made up of about 10 km of Ring Road and 20 kms of city. Let me know if my assumption is wrong.

Coming to the RE offerings right now, your options are
1. Classic 500
2. Classic 350
3. ThunderBird TwinSpark (TBTS)
4. Electra UCE 350

Given the long city ride, if you go for a bike that has a racer posture, you would be putting your weight on your wrists and your legs would be bent backwards. In doing the 20 city kilometres, you would also be putting down your foot often. The setting of your footpegs (somewhat rearset) would be a problem on a racy bike in that case. If you go for one of the "cruisers" on the market, you would end up with a front tyre thats just a little too much in front of you. And as such, half of your riding time, you'd spend worrying where your front tyre is touching.

Coming to the RE offerings, all four have similar engines. They do not have the old school Bullet thump in case that has any appeal to you. It has more or less gotten rid of the oil leakage issues that were so common to Bullets back in the days. From the list, my personal choice would be the Electra UCE. The reasons are as follows:

1. The Classics aren't super comfortable for the pillion.
2. The TBTS has raised handlebars, almost apehangers. So when you hang on to them for long durations and with constant throttle movement in city traffic, over the years you might feel that you elbows can begin to hurt a bit (I am talking 5-7 years into the future here).
3. The Electra has larger tyres than Classics, making it a more comfortably rolling machine. It has a large seat, comfortable for your wife and you. It fits your budget almost perfectly. And contrary to popular belief, it smokes other bikes signal to signal if you want it to.

All the best with your selection... shall be following closely to see which machine wins this.
Old 5th May 2010, 14:59   #32
BHPian

Congratulations Aditya, I will look forward to your feedback about driving the mini-superbike in namma Bengalooru.

Aargee, why I was thinking about the Ninja 250 is that I came across several other websites (mostly American and Australian) that recommend the bike for everyday commuting. But then, their driving conditions are all different.

JustRoyal, I have a mental block for RE bikes with FI, I dont know why, but they just dont seem to gel together as one in my head. Maybe, I will test ride one of them and get a reality check done. And I will definitely check out the Electra. I need to visit their website first to get an update of the latest engine and model offerings.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
..., I have a mental block for RE bikes with FI, I dont know why, but they just dont seem to gel together as one in my head. Maybe, I will test ride one of them and get a reality check done. And I will definitely check out the Electra. I need to visit their website first to get an update of the latest engine and model offerings...
Well, even I am personally averse to FI on Bulls. It takes away your ability to tinker with the tuning on those long highway rides. As for the ride feel, I did not quite feel a difference apart from the huge gap left by the missing Thump quotient.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:12   #34
BHPian

I had just called a Bullet dealer in Jayanagar, Bangalore. The news to me is that:

1. Booking for Classic 350 is temporarily suspended becaues the waiting period exceeded 6 months.

2. Waiting period for Classic 500 is 8 months for the maroon and classic green-blue colours, 6 months for black colour.

3. Waiting period for TB, Electra is 2 months.

All 350cc engines are UCE, 20BHP, twin spark types, just the build is different for different bikes.

Now, I will take a test drive this weekend to decide if the two-month wait period is worth it.

Now for the Pulsar 220 non-fairing version, Black is available immediately. Ninja 250 will take about a month to come once booking is done.

Last edited by wanderlust : 6th May 2010 at 11:20. Reason: added 220 for pulsar
Old 6th May 2010, 11:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aargee, why I was thinking about the Ninja 250 is that I came across several other websites (mostly American and Australian) that recommend the bike for everyday commuting. But then, their driving conditions are all different.
And so is the parking conditions & people treat motorcycles as just motorcycles & do not give much importance & especially when it comes to fiddling.

Quote:
I have a mental block for RE bikes with FI, I dont know why, but they just dont seem to gel together as one in my head. Maybe, I will test ride one of them and get a reality check done. And I will definitely check out the Electra. I need to visit their website first to get an update of the latest engine and model offerings.
Well like you, except for the TBTS with C5's engine, I'm not a fan of RE. In that case, you can opt for ZMA or may be the ZMR.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:42   #36
BHPian

Hey Wanderlust,

Did you finally decide on which bike you have zeroed in on? I am in a similar predicament and was tracking this thread. BTW to everyone else thanks for your inputs they have been fair, level headed and straight.
Old 14th May 2010, 13:42   #37
BHPian

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Actually I couldn't test ride any of the bikes over the last weekend. I am planning to do them tomorrow. Man, I am living my life on the weekends only! I hope my new bike will help me save some time on the weekdays to spend time with my family! This is my primary reason for purchasing the bike.

Tomorrow, I am going to do the following:

1. Hop over to RE to test ride the Classic 500 and Electra.
2. Khivraj motors to test ride the 220 non-faired version and ogle at the Ninja 250R (I really wish they had come with a naked version, I would have been the first in line to buy the damn thing)

Will provide you my feedback on SUnday or Monday.
Old 14th May 2010, 14:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Joker in the Pack!

Quote:
Tomorrow, I am going to do the following:

1. Hop over to RE to test ride the Classic 500 and Electra.
2. Khivraj motors to test ride the 220 non-faired version
Any specific reason why R15 did not make it to the list? The pillion is quite small, but sitting cross-legged (if wifey is willing) will solve the problems...

I know you said motorbikes, OK. But Bangalore traffic, and the need to cut through quickly and keep ahead, brought this to mind - KINETIC BLAZE. (If I remember right it was 165cc + 12BHP + twin head lights + disc brake. Is it still there? Since Kinetic two-wheelers have been taken over by Mahindra & Mahindra, hopefully fortunes of the company will be revived).

Actually, your predicament reminds of the time I spent travelling 40 odd kms daily (6 days a week) in Chennai about six/seven years ago - on a KB100! I wished for a "manly" scooter - which would have made my trips easier.
Old 14th May 2010, 14:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justROYal View Post
Hi Wanderlust,
Coming to the RE offerings right now, your options are
1. Classic 500
2. Classic 350
3. Thunder Bird Twin Spark (TBTS)
4. Electra UCE 350
Hey justROYal,
Can you roughly tell me the FEs of the bullets mentioned above.
I am on the same boat as wanderlust with a different reason though.
Need to travel 40 odd kms to office and back and the safari is burning a hole in my pocket.
And the bullets have always mesmerized me.

I have zeroed down on the following 2 due to personal preference.
1. ThunderBird TwinSpark (TBTS)
2. Electra UCE 350

And I am planning to go for a used one due to my budget constraints

And the more important thing is FE for me now that I am going for a 2 wheeler I want some real drastic improvement of FE so that I can save some money on fuel.I understand that there are a bulk of other brands which give better FE than RE but I am particular about RE.
So can I expect a good FE > 40kmpl from the above mentioned bullet siblings?

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 14th May 2010 at 14:50.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:06   #40
BHPian

You said that you need a comfortable commuter bike.

My suggestion is that you should zero-in on Unicorn or GS150.
Wonderful bikes both, have decent power too.
Old 7th June 2010, 23:24   #41
MCR
BHPian

Pulsar 220??

So I did visit Suzuki, Honda and HeroHonda showrooms over the weekend.

1. Suzuki Mysore:
The first stop was Suzuki showroom. There was nobody at the showroom to speak to us. There was one person at the cash counter deeply into the register books. It was a very strange experience. We had a look at GS150R. Looks quiet decent and carries certain amount of presence. but again there was no salesman to answer our queries even ater 10 minutes of moving around in the showroom. My mother got annoyed and went upto the cashier, the cashier asked "what"?, in a why were we at the showroom tone, to which my father quipped we were there to buy vegetables. So with any TD out of question we laughed our way back to the car.
2. Honda Mysore:
We headed towards Honda showroom. We were greeted as soon as we entered the showroom. the sales person was courteous and answered most of the queries asked by my parents. Since I was interested in uincorn dazzler, we did not look at any other bike. there was only one display piece at the showroom, in red colour. I asked for a TD and was offered the same showpiece. the SE confirmed that it was not a Customer vehicle. After this I decided to take a TD. I started the bike, the SE informed that there is no kicker in Dazzler, only ES. The bike started with a bit of vibration. As i increased the throttle the vibees increased. May be the engine was not run-in enough. However I did not like the Vibes between my legs transferrred by the engine as i took the saddle of the bike. The bike felt very similar in handling to unicorn. 1 down 4 up. put your toe under the gear lever. SE informed me that a heel lever is availble at extra cost. The bike pulled effortlessly but all the fun ended by the time I was in gear 3. After wards its just change to commute style. i was not very impressed with the bike, though my parents thougt it looked quiet good. But I was simply looking at smoothness and performnce. The SE entusiastically gave me a brouchure and a quotation and informed that I could get the delivery on 12.06 if were to book at that very moment. I shook his hands, thanked him and took leave. My parents followed me confused.

3.HeroHonda Mysore:
It started to rain as we left the Honda showroom. We were greeted at Herohonda showroom by 2 CBZ's. The bike caught our eye and looked quiet good. my father insisted that I book that bike, my mother agreed. By this time the SE was there and I asked him if I could have a look at Karizma R. He went into the service bay and came back telling that there was one customer vehicle. we decided to have a look. The bike looked very good in sunshine yellow and all the fairings. The SE promised a TD the next weekend.

Well I am now seing a lot of P220's on Bangalore roads. Now my heart says may be this is the bike I would love and like to ride. At 86K OTR Bangalore, it offers fantastic value for money and looks very good.

Now my question to all P220 owners is, can I buy this bike? Is it good enough? Waiting for you reply guys.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 8th June 2010, 08:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

@MCR - Listen to your Dad go for ZMR, you won't regret; after all, it has been awarded the best touring motorcycle as it offers the comfortable seating position, decent power & good quality. You can go ahead with P220 but for its rattling parts (after couple of years) & quality, otherwise its a good motorcycle.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:40   #43
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@MCR - Listen to your Dad go for ZMR, you won't regret; after all, it has been awarded the best touring motorcycle as it offers the comfortable seating position, decent power & good quality. You can go ahead with P220 but for its rattling parts (after couple of years) & quality, otherwise its a good motorcycle.
Thanks for the input aargee. I am more interested in Karizma R(ZMA) than the ZMR. I was reading Technocrat's review on XBHP and he has highlighted that the P220 is not as comfortable as ZMA and also about the vibes being higher.
In case I decide on ZMA, is it about to be phased out? Is it very expensive to maintain? Does it require special attention?

Just to re-iterate my requirements;
1. Basically for jolly rides.
2. Good on performance, easy on maintenance.
3. Should have very less vibrations.
4. Good stopping power.

Last edited by MCR : 8th June 2010 at 11:44.
Old 8th June 2010, 12:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if we're going OT, however I'll try to answer questions to the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
P220 is not as comfortable as ZMA and also about the vibes being higher.
Its more than true

Quote:
In case I decide on ZMA, is it about to be phased out? Is it very expensive to maintain? Does it require special attention?
Not sure what you mean; ZMA is fuel injection which is launched recently & ZMR is the old carb model. I prefer the fuel injection if you tour on hilly regions, this is a life saver; otherwise I prefer to restrict myself to simple mechanics. Not sure what's special attention, just do a regular servicing is all what is required. ZMA being phased out? You mean the fuel injection model? Even if it does, HH will provide a support with supplying the parts.

Quote:
1. Basically for jolly rides.
2. Good on performance, easy on maintenance.
3. Should have very less vibrations.
4. Good stopping power.
Go for ZMR/A has got all the above you say. If you're not keen on riding position, go for R15 that is way better than ZMR/A.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Not sure what you mean; ZMA is fuel injection which is launched recently & ZMR is the old carb model. I prefer the fuel injection if you tour on hilly regions, this is a life saver; otherwise I prefer to restrict myself to simple mechanics. Not sure what's special attention, just do a regular servicing is all what is required. ZMA being phased out? You mean the fuel injection model? Even if it does, HH will provide a support with supplying the parts.

Go for ZMR/A has got all the above you say. If you're not keen on riding position, go for R15 that is way better than ZMR/A.
Slight correction. The Fuel Injected Model is called Karizma ZMR and the old carb model is Karizma R. Short form for Karizma R was being used as ZMA-R

MCR, if you want very less vibrations, the go for the ZMA-R which is the carb version. If budget permits you can even go for the R15 which is better in every way and has very less to no vibes at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks