Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 12:08   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I've made some great friends thanks to her and these memories and relationships are truly fulfilling.
Aditya,

Are you sure the bike has completed 5 years? One of the most well maintained bike in this part of the country I must admit. 45000 is pretty decent speaks volumes of the Japanese technology and maintenance.

We should do a ride shortly to commemorate that.

Take Care and hope to see you clock 100K quickly
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 10:06   #572
Senior - BHPian

re: 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!

As promised in my last post, here are pics of the swingarm sliders and spools installed on the bike. These were procured from RedLine+ in Pune.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20150510_110009_hdr.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20150510_105954_hdr.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20150510_110001_hdr.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-1431237495271.jpg

A much needed wash, assisted by my neighbor's son who was eagerly looking forward to use my Black and Decker pressure washer.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20150510_092030_hdr.jpg

Wash and application of Collinite 845 complete:

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20150510_105857_hdr.jpg

A single coat of Collinite 845 on the bike and she was gleaming.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-1238108122.jpg

Look at the shine and the reflection with just one coat.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20150510_110041_hdr.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20150510_110119_hdr.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20150510_110210_hdr.jpg

The odo is now a little past 45,000 kms and this last saturday, I got the oil and oil filter changed along with the front brake pads.

Total bill amount for this came up to Rs. 3600/- which included the cost of 1.6 liters of Motul 7100 Fully Synthetic Single Ester 20W50, oil filter and a set of brake pads for the front.
n_aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 10:11   #573
Senior - BHPian

So finally I managed to lay my hands on the much awaited coolant reservoir pipe (details here).

Took about the same time it takes to deliver a human baby.

Last month or so, I got information from a buddy of mine, ku69rd, that the part had arrived at the ASC - Khivraj Motors at Indiranagar. I had no time to reach the service center after work (at Electronic City) so asked friendly mod, Jaggu if he could pick it up over the weekend. He did and it turned out to be the wrong pipe the service guys had ordered.

Sadly, Jaggu had to go through the trouble of returning the pipe to the ASC and the wait for the correct part started yet again.

So finally it arrived and last saturday, I rode down to the ASC to pick it up.

Enroute at Koramangala, the clutch cable on the bike snapped all of a sudden in traffic. Thank God for his timing, I was in Yercaud the previous weekend (trip report here (Yercaud - A memorable ride with the boys!)) and if it had snapped then, I would have been toast.

Finally with the help of team bhp member @theexperthand, a member of one of the groups I ride with, I managed to reach the ASC on time and got the clutch cable and the coolant reservoir pipe replaced.

The clutch cable was priced at Rs. 1200/- odd plus taxes and the coolant pipe cost me Rs. 582/- plus taxes. Bill amount incl. labor was Rs. 2055/-.

Yes, the price of the clutch cable is high but it did last me more than 5 years and 47,500 kms. Quality does come at a price!!!

I also ordered 4 other rubber hoses which are part of the cooling unit and will replace them as soon as they arrive. Was told it would take 10 days to reach. I guess it is wise to replace all these hoses given the no. of kms the bike has clocked. I'd rather do it now in a preventive mindset than wait for the pipes to spring a leak during the course of my road trips.

Here is a schematic which may help other owners.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-ninja-250r-cooling-system.jpg
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 11:24   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I also ordered 4 other rubber hoses which are part of the cooling unit and will replace them as soon as they arrive. Was told it would take 10 days to reach.
Nice to read Aditya that the part arrived and your bike is back without any leaks. Glad to do my 2 cents for a well deserving duo (Rider & Motorcycle).

Yes advisable to replace all the rubber parts as a part of preventive maintenance.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:59   #575
Senior - BHPian

Work's been hectic for the past few months and it was taking a toll on my mind. I desperately needed a ride to clear my mind and de-stress.

A long weekend was coming up (last week) and the plan was to ride the day after Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations. I had already applied for a leave the day after the pooja.

Got in touch with a few buddies in my whatsapp group (Added Flavor aka Suhas, Chida and Sundar) and we zeroed in on Valparai. I had never been to Valparai and had heard all about it's wonderful landscapes, picturesque scenery and a lot more. It was decided.

Last Friday morning (18th Sep) was the D-day and we were to meet up at the NICE road junction on Kanakapura road at around 5.30am.

The Ninja was topped up with fuel a couple of days prior and she was all set for the long ride.

The morning of the ride, I got ready and reached the meeting point only to realize that I had forgotten to get my wallet which contained my DL, RC, cards and cash. I apologized to my wingmen and hurried back home. In a short while I was back with the team and we headed out to Valparai.

We decided to take the Satyamangala route towards Valparai and on the return leg, we took the Avinashi-CBE-Salem-Blore stretch.

We reached Valparai at 6pm after a relaxed ride and many stops for water, pics and butt breaks.

On Saturday morning, we headed out to Athirappali falls and by the time we returned to Valparai it was 4pm. A quick lunch and we were back on the road headed back to Blore.

It was past 3 am when I reached home and I must say that covering 1100 kms in 2 days (650 kms on day-2 alone) was a really energizing experience.

Yet another great ride to remember for the rest of my life.

BIG thanks to Suhas, Chida and Sundar for the superb company, great ride and an awesome weekend.

Edit - here (1100 km, 2 days, 4 men: An Endurance Ride to the Mesmerising Valparai!) is the detailed trip report. I will post my set of pics in the evening today.

Last edited by n_aditya : 23rd September 2015 at 10:02.
n_aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 02:31   #576
BHPian

Hello aditya, firstly I have to give you credit because your bike actually looks amazing.

Secondly, I need a suggestion. I am planning to buy an used Ninja 250r. My neighbour has one and he does not use it much. He usses his car for his daily commute and his Ninja is just sitting there in his garage eating dust. Infact, it has cloaked just 5000km on the odo.

I have taken it out for a spin a few times and apart from a couple of problems, I find it to be absolutely perfect. So I need a suggestion for those couple of problems.

1. The accelerator wire is very hard, and sometimes it sticks. I am guessing it requires a new accelerator wire. So how much would a new wire cost?

2. I felt the bike heating up quite fast. I took it out for a 6 km spin (yes, there was traffic) and the temperature gauge got up by more than 50%. I could even feel the heat radiated by the engine on my legs. It does come down ever so slightly when you take it on an open stretch of road. So, is the heating normal in a stop and start city traffic? If not, what could be the solution to it?

Your suggestion would really be appreciated as I have fallen in love with it.
tanuj_afc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:36   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj_afc View Post
Hello aditya, firstly I have to give you credit because your bike actually looks amazing.

Secondly, I need a suggestion. I am planning to buy an used Ninja 250r. My neighbour has one and he does not use it much. He usses his car for his daily commute and his Ninja is just sitting there in his garage eating dust. Infact, it has cloaked just 5000km on the odo.

I have taken it out for a spin a few times and apart from a couple of problems, I find it to be absolutely perfect. So I need a suggestion for those couple of problems.

1. The accelerator wire is very hard, and sometimes it sticks. I am guessing it requires a new accelerator wire. So how much would a new wire cost?

2. I felt the bike heating up quite fast. I took it out for a 6 km spin (yes, there was traffic) and the temperature gauge got up by more than 50%. I could even feel the heat radiated by the engine on my legs. It does come down ever so slightly when you take it on an open stretch of road. So, is the heating normal in a stop and start city traffic? If not, what could be the solution to it?

Your suggestion would really be appreciated as I have fallen in love with it.
Thank you for your kind words Tanuj.

The accelerator cable may require replacement since the bike is barely used. A new one costs around 950 bucks plus labor IIRC. I am yet to change the accelerator cable on mine and will do it in the next service - bike just crossed the 55,000 kms mark on my recent ride to Coorg with team-bhp'ians.

Bike heating up in traffic is normal since it is a liquid cooled engine. On the open roads, the air flowing into the radiator will ensure the bike runs cooler. This is not a problem at all so nothing to worry

Some people have used EngineIce - a coolant that keeps the engine at slightly lower temperatures but I have not used this so far. An alternative is MotoCool, a product of Motul that also has good reviews.

Do get the bike looked at by a qualified mechanic as the parts are expensive. However since you mention that the bike hasn't run much and hopefully has not been dropped, I don't see any issue on the repair front. All the best for your purchase.

I will be giving my Ninja for a service in Jan and will then put it up for sale.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 22:56   #578
BHPian

Thank you so much.

Well, I recently got a closer look again and saw the front left indicator missing. I don't know how that happened and how much a new one will cost. I know the parts are expensive, but I hope they are not over the top expensive.

Another doubt that occurred to me was, what type of fuelling system the bike has. Is it carbureted or fuel injected?
Old 16th January 2016, 02:16   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words Tanuj.

The accelerator cable may require replacement since the bike is barely used. A new one costs around 950 bucks plus labor IIRC. I am yet to change the accelerator cable on mine and will do it in the next service - bike just crossed the 55,000 kms mark on my recent ride to Coorg with team-bhp'ians.

Bike heating up in traffic is normal since it is a liquid cooled engine. On the open roads, the air flowing into the radiator will ensure the bike runs cooler. This is not a problem at all so nothing to worry

Some people have used EngineIce - a coolant that keeps the engine at slightly lower temperatures but I have not used this so far. An alternative is MotoCool, a product of Motul that also has good reviews.

Do get the bike looked at by a qualified mechanic as the parts are expensive. However since you mention that the bike hasn't run much and hopefully has not been dropped, I don't see any issue on the repair front. All the best for your purchase.

I will be giving my Ninja for a service in Jan and will then put it up for sale.

New bike decided yet or is it one step at a time?

BTW, I am a little surprised that you stuck with the bike for so long. On one hand, this clearly reflects the quality of the product as well as the overall feel good factor. On the other hand, for a core biker like you, I could have seen the urge to jump higher kick in earlier. After all, in many ways , a 250cc is a 250cc, brilliance notwithstanding.

Any purchase coming up shortly?
Old 16th January 2016, 20:06   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Another doubt that occurred to me was, what type of fuelling system the bike has. Is it carbureted or fuel injected?
Hi

Taking the liberty to reply, am 99.99% sure its Fuel injected (the remaining 0.01% can be confirmed once Aditya replies ) All modern track focused (and otherwise also mostly) are FI for a crisper throttle response and to also meet stringent emission norms. Even the RS200 Pulsar is FI.
Old 17th January 2016, 07:16   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi

Taking the liberty to reply, am 99.99% sure its Fuel injected (the remaining 0.01% can be confirmed once Aditya replies ) All modern track focused (and otherwise also mostly) are FI for a crisper throttle response and to also meet stringent emission norms. Even the RS200 Pulsar is FI.
Well I hope you are right.

But I read somewhere that the bike is fuel injected for Europe and Thailand, but rest of the world gets Carbureted bike. Now is this fact true? If it is true that means we are getting carburated bike. That is why this doubt occurred to me.
tanuj_afc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 10:30   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Quote:

But I read somewhere that the bike is fuel injected for Europe and Thailand, but rest of the world gets Carbureted bike. Now is this fact true? If it is true that means we are getting carburated bike. That is why this doubt occurred to me.
Indian version of Ninja uses FI
Old 18th January 2016, 10:52   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I recently got a closer look again and saw the front left indicator missing. I don't know how that happened and how much a new one will cost. I know the parts are expensive, but I hope they are not over the top expensive.
I did see a Ninja 250R with KTM LED indicators so you can swap it with those. It will cost a lot lesser and they look nice as well.

Yes, the parts are expensive but they reek quality and the life of these parts is justified considering the price it demands.

My clutch cable snapped at around 45,000 kms IIRC which cost me around 1500 bucks. Not bad considering there was no maintenance required except for adjustment.

Same goes with the chain and sprocket kit. The OE set lasted 30,000 kms and it costs 16k at the Bajaj SC. I went for the Rolon X Ring kit (better than the OE O ring chain) for 8k and it's been 20k kms and it's holding very well... as good as OE if not better.

I'm still with the stock battery (close to 6 yrs now) and a replacement costs around 14k. You can plonk in the KTM battery which costs 3k IIRC as an alternative.

Maintenance is expensive in the long run but the bike is true to it's Japanese reliability. Worth every penny if you ask me.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Kawasaki's that are sold here are the EU spec ones with FI. The bikes in USA however are carb'd.

Dead giveaway is the instrument console. Our console has the temp indicator while the US models have a fuel gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
New bike decided yet or is it one step at a time?

BTW, I am a little surprised that you stuck with the bike for so long. On one hand, this clearly reflects the quality of the product as well as the overall feel good factor. On the other hand, for a core biker like you, I could have seen the urge to jump higher kick in earlier. After all, in many ways , a 250cc is a 250cc, brilliance notwithstanding.

Any purchase coming up shortly?
Well, frankly I still enjoy riding the bike and I commute on it to work and back as often as i can. It still performs flawlessly and without any complaints. That said, the need for a faster bike was always gnawing at me.

The only reason why I thought of selling it is that it's really tough to get a buyer for it considering other bikes in this price range are much faster. Only a Kawa fan or someone who knows what the 250R is all about would want one and these are rare people.

I am waiting for the 2016 bonnie to be launched but actual purchase may take a year or two.
Old 30th March 2016, 16:29   #584
Senior - BHPian

So here is an update after many moons.

After a long hiatus of one month, the Ninja is finally back home.

On one of my rides, I hit a deep pothole which caused the front wheel lip to bend and it was leaking air. Apart from the wheel lip being damaged, nothing else had taken a beating thankfully.

Owing to the high cost of the alloy wheel, I decided to claim insurance for the replacement. I had a zero depreciation top up cover so did not expect any hassles.

Initially, the insurance surveyor declined to honor the claim citing this was no accident and no claims were permissible on account of bad roads. This happened on a highway and I was lucky I didn't get thrown off the bike as the pothole was deep and definitely qualified to be termed as a crater from our very own moon.

Here are the pics of the damage. I was losing 50% air pressure over a week. Riding the bike with this damage was definitely not safe as any further impact on this area could lead to sudden air leak and seriously compromise my safety.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20160123_113503_hdr.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-img_20160123_113536_hdr.jpg

After the surveyor approved the claim, it was another story altogether as the wheel in question was not available at the factory and had to be ordered. Then it would arrive from Thailand. Thankfully, it was all done within a month and she was back.

I was so glad to see her shining again.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-ninja-back-action.jpg

She also got to meet her new friend:

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-bonnie-meets-ninja.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-bonnie-meets-ninja.jpg

And now, they're camping peacefully till I wake one of them up for the next ride.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-bonnie-ninja-camping.jpg

She is currently at 52,000 kms and I am going to put her up for sale. A bit of an issue with my back is not allowing me to ride the Ninja as I used to before. Hope she finds a nice home soon.

P.S. I want to offer a great deal of thanks to Mr. Venkat Shyam (who runs Auto Service, the Kawasaki service center) and also Mr. Babu (service in-charge at Auto Service) who relentlessly followed up on the insurance as well as the wheel replacement.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th March 2016 at 16:35.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 11:17   #585
Senior - BHPian

Rode the Ninja to work today. Was a tough call on which bike to ride but given that I'll be riding the bonnie on saturday with friends, I opted for the Ninja.

I got the bike serviced after the wheel replacement so all fluids were changed, brakes cleaned and bled, etc. The entire service cost me around 7k including a brand new battery. The OE battery had to be replaced as it was close to 6 yrs and wasn't holding charge. 6 yrs life for a battery is definitely praise-worthy. Talk about Japanese quality.

She still feels as smooth as butter and rides as well as she always did.

Compared to the Bonnie, the monstrous torque at the low end is almost absent and the brakes aren't as sharp as the ones on the Bonnie. The bonnie suffers from windblast once you cross 100 kmph but this one glides away without any fuss. You'll have to glance at the meter and you'll be surprised at the speeds you're clocking.

A great bike and although I'll have to let her go, I'll miss her terribly. Would love to keep her as a commuter but that wouldn't do justice to her.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed