Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 12:03   #76
BHPian

Try doing revvmatching + downshifting and slowly make it a habit so that no matter where you brake or at what speed you brake it becomes like a second nature to you.

This really helps in emergency braking situations.

Cheers
Shrey
Old 21st May 2010, 12:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Try doing revvmatching + downshifting and slowly make it a habit so that no matter where you brake or at what speed you brake it becomes like a second nature to you. This really helps in emergency braking situations.
Thanks Shrey. I regularly downshift and engine brake even on my commuter bike. But on the ninja I try and not to load the engine excessively as it is in the break-in period.
Old 21st May 2010, 12:42   #78
BHPian

[quote=n_aditya;1896606]

1. The first service is at 1000kms. Thereafter it is at every 12k kms I think. Not very sure. Haven't read the service interval topic in the manual in detail.

Its every 6k km

Thank heavens there was no pillion rider. Even with this kind of acceleration, the refinement and smoothness is top notch. Dump the clutch when the lights turn green (and be careful as it is very easy to pop a wheelie)

Very difficult, unless you dump the clutch at 6k plus rpm.

Shifting at 13k rpm is gonna be insane as international test reports have clocked 7secs 0-100 on the ninja. It is unbelievable that a 250cc motor pumping out only 33 horses can actually be so quick.

Yes it is a lot of fun, but once you have started doing it regularly, you yearn for more grunt

One has to be very careful with the brakes also as they have serious bite and can lock up easily with more than the required force. But the stopping power is excellent.

make sure you use both the brakes simultaneously at all times.

Windblast at 6k rpm is negligible unless i open the visor on my lid. But my friends who own a ninja say that over 130kmph, one has to crouch. And the bike easily does 170+kmph.

Progress is slow after a 155..you will need a really looong straight to do a 170, and a downhill with the wind behind your back do go any further.

Manson, who was instrumental in my decision had also mentioned that a 20 something rider with a stock ninja250 could effortlessly keep up with the 600cc machines. So does anyone still think 3.2lacs is overpriced for the ninja250?

Its def not overpriced

cmon mate post some more pictures of the bike. and what engine oil do the service guys use there?

Last edited by balenopower : 21st May 2010 at 12:44.
Old 21st May 2010, 13:47   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Very difficult, unless you dump the clutch at 6k plus rpm.
Hmmm. But i remember popping the clutch and the front bounced a wee bit. Its not a proper wheelie but the front tire did leave the ground a few inches.

BTW, I need to buy a cover for the ninja which can be put on the bike when it is hot. The regular ones will definitely melt and one has to wait till the bike has cooled down. Any ideas where I can get a cover that retards heat? That way I can ride it to work and park it without any worries at office.

Need it urgently so all the help will be very much appreciated. Hope to buy one tomorrow.
Old 21st May 2010, 15:32   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
BTW, I need to buy a cover for the ninja which can be put on the bike when it is hot. .Need it urgently so all the help will be very much appreciated. Hope to buy one tomorrow.
I think normal covers of the size of bullet should be good enough. I am sure the Ninja will not get as hot as a Bullet for sure.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:22   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Any ideas where I can get a cover that retards heat? That way I can ride it to work and park it without any worries at office.
Hey Aditya,

Normal Bullet cover - The XXL size should be good. (Some Lions Brand)

Also, I had seen a one my old office colleagues use some OXFORD Stormex which he had sourced from some relative of his staying in London. It was a premium cover though. No clue if you get them here.

I will be travelling to Malaysia / Singapore next month, if you want me to check something out there and pick it up please let me know. May be a cover, exhaust or any other accesories. But please make sure you tell me the place where I should pick it up from.
mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2010, 20:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
I will be travelling to Malaysia / Singapore next month, if you want me to check something out there and pick it up please let me know. May be a cover, exhaust or any other accesories. But please make sure you tell me the place where I should pick it up from.
Thanks a ton Sir. I appreciate the gesture.

Would love to get an exhaust but that's gonna have to wait for a while sadly.

Am trying to source parts and accessories from US as my folks will be back in a couple of months. Will not trouble you but in case I can't find anything there or here locally which is good enough, will let you know.

Once again, thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it.

P.S. Oxford rainex is what i was looking for as it has a heat shield for areas near the exhaust and engine. I will be using it very sparingly though (if i ninja to work which is still undecided). So as of now, the imported ones are not in my list.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st May 2010 at 20:16.
Old 21st May 2010, 20:19   #83
BHPian

No issues Sir.

Feel free to pm me if something comes up in the meanwhile.

Also, I will ping you if you plan to ride down to B'glore sometime around Aug-Sept as one of my close friends has shifted his base there now and am planning a ride down once I get hand on my booked CL 350. Would love to see your ride in flesh.

Wish you a happy & safe riding until then.

Last edited by mantrig : 21st May 2010 at 20:21.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:44   #84
Senior - BHPian

The Ninja completed a lil over 1000 kms and went in for her first service yesterday.

There are no free services and each service is scheduled every 6k kms.

This one cost me around 1.5k/-

Here are the charges.

1. Paid Service - 656/-

2. Oil - 440/-

3. Consumables - 101/- (top up of coolant etc.)

4. Oil Filter element - 318/-

For those who dont know, if you want to leave the bike for a service or for any other work like removing the front number plate, etc, you have to call and take an appointment. There are only 4 service technicians and they are booked almost everyday. When I called, the first available slot for service was 3 days away. There is a 17 point check during the first service and the entire servicing activity takes around 3 hours.

The bike feels a lil better after the service, no major noticable change though. Feels a lil free and revv's slightly better. The air filter element must have been dirty and therefore the drop in performance.

The manual recommends that the air filter element be cleaned after riding in the rain or in dusty conditions.

More updates will follow. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th May 2010 at 11:46.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:08   #85
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the first service Aditya. I am sure you must have gotten used to the attention from people by now, while riding it around town.

I have heard the pillion seat is pretty hard and not really good enough. Have also read that there are better seats available from some providers. Is it true? Any information regarding that?
Old 25th May 2010, 13:08   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a 17 point check during the first service and the entire servicing activity takes around 3 hours.
Were you allowed to be present during the servicing of the bike? I mean in the service area to see the work being done on your bike?
Old 25th May 2010, 14:01   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I have heard the pillion seat is pretty hard and not really good enough. Have also read that there are better seats available from some providers. Is it true? Any information regarding that?
The pillion seat is bloody hard. I'll give it that. Before I got my bike I sat pillion on a friend's Ninja and in 15 mins my *** was sore. But then, the bike is not designed to carry a pillion... max maybe a PYT that's not too bulky.

The pillion seat does not have much foam/cushion. Its basically a cover for the tool kit / medical kit storage area. I am thinking of ditching the pillion seat and gettin a rear cowl, but will do that after my accessory shopping is complete.

The riders seat is very comfy. I had my doubts but am satisfied with it. Only the edges are hard which cause some discomfort over long rides but a break here and there makes things easy.

There is a company called Corbin that makes Gel seats for sportsbikes. Was toying with the idea of getting a set but i've passed it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Were you allowed to be present during the servicing of the bike? I mean in the service area to see the work being done on your bike?
Yes. You can watch while the bike is being serviced. But being a monday, I sadly couldn't. Got the bike picked up in the morning from work by the service engineer (not the mechanic or service technician) and he delivered it in the evening to my office.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:28   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Got the bike picked up in the morning from work by the service engineer (not the mechanic or service technician) and he delivered it in the evening to my office.
Its good to know that the Service Engineer came for the pick up and drop & not a mechanic. Generally mechanics abuse the bike at every opportunity they get. Is the pick up/drop complimentary or is it charged as a part of the paid service charge?
Old 25th May 2010, 16:06   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Its good to know that the Service Engineer came for the pick up and drop & not a mechanic. Generally mechanics abuse the bike at every opportunity they get. Is the pick up/drop complimentary or is it charged as a part of the paid service charge?
I'll take this opportunity to highlight a good move from Bajaj.

There are about 4 service technicians who work on the bike and 3 service engineers who supervise the job, perform PDI's on new vehicles, brief the new owners on do's and don'ts etc.

On the day of the delivery, just before I rode out with the Ninja, I was handed a letter from Bajaj which had a welcome message and the emergency contact numbers (mobile) of the 3 technicians.

So I asked if I get stuck somewhere can I call and get my bike towed or something, to which the reply was that there was never such an instance of the bike breaking down. The confidence on the bike is very high and the reliability scores very high as well.

Initially I was very skeptical to handover my bike thinking it was a mechanic who would do the pick up and drop but on Monday morning an SMS (confirmation of the pickup & drop) from the engineer put my mind at ease.

I was told that to pick up my bike from Madiwala and to ride it to Indiranagar for the service and back would cost me 100 bucks. Very reasonable. It was a pleasant surprise to see that this was complimentary as it was the first service.

Funny thing happened when the bike was delivered in the evening.

I paid the said amount, geared up, mounted the bike, ignition was turned on, side stand retracted and then pressed the starter switch.... Nothing. No crank, nothing. I panicked. Have had nasty experiences earlier with my other bikes just after a service and i was nearly having a heart attack and hyperventilating. Checked the engine kill switch and tried again. Nothing.

Called the tech who had just left and i was asked to check if the kill switch was ON. Nope, it wasn't. Bike must be in gear was the reply. But the bike does start in gear as the side stand was retracted. Then it occurred to me. Damn, pull the clutch and start or shift into neutral and start.... and it worked. I am so habituated to parking the bike in neutral and pressing the starter switch. Have never started the bike in gear so clutch is never engaged. Funny incident which sent me bonkers. LOL.

Edit - Named my bike Hachi. For the meaning and the story behind this name read this. I chose this name as it talks about a very strong bond between the owner and Hachi.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th May 2010 at 16:14.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

to Bajaj. 100 bucks for pick up and drop is definitely reasonable by today's standards. And complimentary for first service goes to show that they are valuing customer relationship as well.

I can quite relate to your worries post service with the other bikes. Good that Bajaj has managed to service the bike without any niggles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks