Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 21:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey mate,

Congrats on the buy, the bike looks good. Like many here, I also carry this dream of owning this beast one day, although financial & practical implications don't allow me to even start searching for one

I have a Electra 350, & I had once come accross a Lightning 535 & the guy was willing to part with it for 45K. Guess what, I loved that bike solely for that engine & I got confused as to whether I should buy it or not because I didn't like those cruiser looks. Man, another guy bought it for 65K. Silly me, today when I look at it, I could have had that beast a long time back. I could have always gotten the cosmetics changed.

Anyways, congrats once again.

Ride safe.
Old 12th May 2010, 09:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
i know...already trying to source and keep a piston kit and some tappet rods.
I thought tappet rods are the same as the ones in 350s

You should be stocking up these
1) Head valves
2) Piston and rings (if you have the funds, stock up an entire bore kit)

PM me if you need some sources for the parts, i've done my bit of research on these..
Old 12th May 2010, 11:33   #18
BHPian

couple more maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0793.jpg  

"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0783.jpg  

"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0785.jpg  

"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0789.jpg  

bIte tHe bulLet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2010, 11:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Congrats. Everytime some one posts about a Bullet, I'm forced to reply. It reminds me of the great time I had for three years in the early 80s on a 350. Although, I did own RD350s after that, there surely was something special about Bullets.

Ride safe and have a great time.
cheers vloct.

i know the feeling. i've been a die hard bullet fan for the better part of 18 years now and till date, my head swings around to follow the sound of a slowly cruising and spiffy looking bullet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey mate,

Congrats on the buy, the bike looks good. Like many here, I also carry this dream of owning this beast one day, although financial & practical implications don't allow me to even start searching for one

I have a Electra 350, & I had once come accross a Lightning 535 & the guy was willing to part with it for 45K. Guess what, I loved that bike solely for that engine & I got confused as to whether I should buy it or not because I didn't like those cruiser looks. Man, another guy bought it for 65K. Silly me, today when I look at it, I could have had that beast a long time back. I could have always gotten the cosmetics changed.

Anyways, congrats once again.

Ride safe.
hey black...

cheers mano. i'm actually kind of glad that you didn't pick up the 535. amongst all the bikes that RE have put out there, the 535 is the only one that i have ACTUALLY disliked. it's twitchy and nowhere near as stable as most of the other bullets...

IMHO, i think you are MUCH better off with your electra and when the time and money permits, there are some cracking upgrades to be had from abroad...

cheers and ride safe dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I thought tappet rods are the same as the ones in 350s

You should be stocking up these
1) Head valves
2) Piston and rings (if you have the funds, stock up an entire bore kit)

PM me if you need some sources for the parts, i've done my bit of research on these..
the tappet rods on the standard 500 are a teeeny weeeny bit longer than the 350's... i know, because when i was having mine serviced, the cap on one of the rods was loose due to wear and tear on the rod. hunted high and low for a new piece but finally had to use an older but not worn rod lying on the shop floor. the adjusters are the same as the 350.
Old 12th May 2010, 20:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Bite-the-Bullet.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 12th May 2010, 20:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post

Cheers,

Jay
thanks mano...

stay safe.
ak
Old 13th May 2010, 14:36   #22
BHPian

Does the Electric start work?
Old 14th May 2010, 07:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post

Cheers,

Jay
by the way...

interesting thoughts on the 350 with stage 1....

i knew sourcing spares for the CI 500 was a pain in the nether regions but surprised thats the case with the LB as well... REALLY surprised.

ak
Old 14th May 2010, 10:15   #24
BHPian

In fact I'm also bitten by the bullet bug and seriously thinking about getting a good used piece, either an Electra or a Thunderbird.

@bite_the_bullet : Please let me know if you have any good contacts from where I can also source one for me.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

My affair with Bikes began with My Dad's Yezdi CL 250, moved on to Samurai, Shogun and RD 350, before finally settling for a Thunderbird (2003), which I have come to love and cherish. Notwithstanding, all the detractors of the Thunderbird, I have loved every moment of riding this bike, especially due to the riding position and control.
Old 15th May 2010, 07:31   #26
BHPian

Heart over head!!

Congrats Bite the bullet! Excellent write -up and images. Your usage of light makes the bullet look very romantic. When it comes to bullets, it is ALWAYS heart over head!! Please write on your ownership experience too. Did you do any performance modifications? with the others when it comes to spares and hey keep the photos coming
Old 15th May 2010, 10:02   #27
BHPian

Monster is looking hottttt . I still prefer standard bullet over the new classic which enfield have launched . The Thump he standard creates no version of enfield bullet creates .

Its worth taking pain to restore the old bullet to a new one .

The standard engine is smooth and buttery to ride .

Do use lot of formula one polish on engine parts .

I have been using formula one polish since two years on ma bullet electra 4s .

Its still continue to look new .
Old 15th May 2010, 11:24   #28
BHPian

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Does the Electric start work?
hey iron,

disconnected the ES bro, because there are huge issues with it frying the sprag clutch... not worth the heartache! also, she starts with a little more than a half-kick (now that i've understood most of her idiosyncrasies!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
In fact I'm also bitten by the bullet bug and seriously thinking about getting a good used piece, either an Electra or a Thunderbird.

@bite_the_bullet : Please let me know if you have any good contacts from where I can also source one for me.
hey repsol,

good choices mano...i'd go with the electra - just easier to keep alive and get spares. and i kept trawling the net and looking out for stuff by word of mouth. bit of a slog, but thats the way you'll need to do it too bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My affair with Bikes began with My Dad's Yezdi CL 250, moved on to Samurai, Shogun and RD 350, before finally settling for a Thunderbird (2003), which I have come to love and cherish. Notwithstanding, all the detractors of the Thunderbird, I have loved every moment of riding this bike, especially due to the riding position and control.

roy, as i mentioned, the 1st bike i ever rode was the yezdi and i love it to bits even today...

detractors shmetractors.... you gotta ride what give YOU pleasure. to h**l with what the other man thinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Congrats Bite the bullet! Excellent write -up and images. Your usage of light makes the bullet look very romantic. When it comes to bullets, it is ALWAYS heart over head!! Please write on your ownership experience too. Did you do any performance modifications? with the others when it comes to spares and hey keep the photos coming
thanks madhkris,

already written quite a bit, just haven't had the time to fine tune and upload it yet. will do so very soon. no performance mods yet since she is on her way upto leh in july and i want to keep her AS STOCK AS POSSIBLE till i'm back in delhi.

try and get some more pic done and uploaded, thanks for the compliments though. it's not tough to make chrome, polished aluminium and black paint look sexyy though!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Monster is looking hottttt . I still prefer standard bullet over the new classic which enfield have launched . The Thump he standard creates no version of enfield bullet creates .

Its worth taking pain to restore the old bullet to a new one .

The standard engine is smooth and buttery to ride .

Do use lot of formula one polish on engine parts .

I have been using formula one polish since two years on ma bullet electra 4s .

Its still continue to look new .

cheers safari,

i use a combination of stuff for different parts of my cars and (now) bike....but i'll keep your advice in mind.

stay safe and ride sane guys.

cheers,
ak.
Old 15th May 2010, 12:10   #29
BHPian

Awesome pictures man!!!!!!!

Could you post some more showing the whole motorcycle?
Old 15th May 2010, 15:14   #30
BHPian

Hey Congratulations bro. Had the same feelings as I was dying to buy a bullet but was not lucky enough as you finding a CI500. Finally decided to go with a CI Electra 350 from a friend but don't regret doing so as the bull is just awsome and I enjoy every bit of it.

I can't just completely express the feelings i hold for my sweetheart but really a different man while my *** is on the bull. I have taken it to Mumbai, Pune & Shirdi from Delhi and came back. It was amazing fun. Now i am on for a hunt for a 500 and if not then surely will go for a classic 500.

By the way when are you planning to leh exactly in July since i am too planning the same. (subject to leave approval from my boss.)

Once again congratulations on owning a wonderful machine. enclosing the pic of my beauty also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks