Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 17:42   #31
BHPian

Awesome bike BTB bro. Congrats.

On a side note, what camera do you use ?
Old 16th May 2010, 22:31   #32
BHPian

some more of the story...

Contd…

She has since been christened, ‘Angelina’ and there must be some sort of a connection that we share, because by the time I had picked her up late in the evening on the 30th, there was a rumble on the sky. Then 5 minutes into my ride home, the heavens decided to open up. It rained the day of my wedding and it rained the day my kids were born. So as far as I’m concerned, this was an omen!

Riding in the rain, on a machine I hadn’t ridden in the better part of 4 years, was a challenge I must admit. But what was astounding was the ease with which everything fell back into place. Each person rides a bullet in his or her own way and old habits came flooding back like I had never stopped riding! Using the heel of the right foot to engage the 1st gear. Swinging the legs outwards, to clear the foot-pegs, before placing them back onto them….the lazy riding at 45-50 kmph, allowing everything under the sun (well almost!) to overtake you, but secure in the knowledge that a twist of the throttle will let you ROAR past most of what has gleefully gone past!

To get back to the events of the day…it poured and I KNEW it poured because everything AND I MEAN EVERYTHING was drenched to the bone… she felt skittish because I was the one unsure, but thankfully by the time we were about 3/4ths the way home, the cold, lashing rain stopped and within the next 10 minutes or so, I was as dry as when I left home 6 hours ago! Rediscovering the joys of motorcycling, and discovering for the 1st time the addictive low end grunt of the CI engined 500, on more than one occasion, I let the throttle in just a little more ‘spiritedly’ then others at the many traffic lights!

One thing that I did notice, was that pretty much every bike that went past me, knew that this was NOT a standard 350, because they would all slow down to peer at the stickering and then with a shake of the head and a big smile directed at me, signifying, ‘I knew it’…would carry on their merry way!

As I rode her out of the rain, my confidence started to come back and I leaned into a couple of turns on the roundabouts that blight central Delhi roads. The bike would dart in eagerly, hold her line beautifully and then exit the turn balance like a ballet dancer. The previous owner did nothing to mar the aesthetics of the motorcycle and she was as stock as she was when she came out of the RE factory. What I did sense was that she seemed to be starved of power when she got into the 70-80 kmph range. I put it down to a clogged air filter and/or fuel filter, to be rectified as soon as she went for a complete service. Also that the vibrations at even 60 kmph made my right hand and fingers go numb every couple of minutes. This was something I did not remember from my 350 days....

Reaching home, my elder son demanded a ride and since we were dining at my in-laws, I needed very little coaxing to ride to dinner with the son. A quick shower to clean up the dirt of the day, a fresh set of clothes, helmets strapped to our noggins, off we went. The in-laws were horrified and awed at the same time that someone with 2 growing children would actually go out and decide to buy a bike! However, after commiserations and congratulation in equal order, "oohs" and "aahs" were heard as ‘Angelina’ was given an approving look over.

Dinner finished and I relished the thought of riding back home. Being on almost empty Delhi roads, I then rode her the way she likes to be ridden. Top gear, trundling lazily along, smack bang in the middle of the centre lane! Pulling into home, she was parked in the driveway and finally put to bed. The end of an eventful and fulfilling day....

She would be introduced to her older 'siblings' tomorrow!!!!

To be contd….
Old 16th May 2010, 22:47   #33
BHPian

apologies for not answering earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasma View Post
Awesome pictures man!!!!!!!

Could you post some more showing the whole motorcycle?
thanks bhasma... I like the enthusiasm, I REALLY like the enthusiasm!!!
some pics of the entire motorcycle attached to this reply.

stay safe bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
Hey Congratulations bro. Had the same feelings as I was dying to buy a bullet but was not lucky enough as you finding a CI500. Finally decided to go with a CI Electra 350 from a friend but don't regret doing so as the bull is just awsome and I enjoy every bit of it.

I can't just completely express the feelings i hold for my sweetheart but really a different man while my *** is on the bull. I have taken it to Mumbai, Pune & Shirdi from Delhi and came back. It was amazing fun. Now i am on for a hunt for a 500 and if not then surely will go for a classic 500.

By the way when are you planning to leh exactly in July since i am too planning the same. (subject to leave approval from my boss.)

Once again congratulations on owning a wonderful machine. enclosing the pic of my beauty also.

hey adroit,

thanks for the kind words mano. and congratulations on your exciting little (being a relative term of course!) runs.

5 bikes so far going to Leh around the 10th - 11th of July, you're more than welcome to ride up with us as well...PM me and we could set it all up.

btw, can't see the pic of your ride...stick another pic up. would love to see her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Awesome bike BTB bro. Congrats.

On a side note, what camera do you use ?
thank you shashank... I like her (and thats all that matters right!?!) and evidently, there ARE other coots like me on the forum and off it who do too...

As for the camera, I use a humble canon eos 30D mated to a 24-70 f2.8 USM L series lens. It does the job and delivers

It also helps when you are really 'into' the subject you're photographing, because it then lets you look at him/her/it in interesting and different ways!!! enough gyaan...

take care bro and stay safe.

ciao
Attached Thumbnails
"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0785.jpg  

"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0787.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 10:15   #34
BHPian

Even though I hardly understand the Photographic lingo, however I must complement, your pics are some of the most impressive ones i have seen on the forum. I mean, I do not understand the technicalities, but Damn !! Do they please the eye.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the very elite group of Royal Enfield Cast Iron 500cc owners. A bike that is just as rare to spot as a Yamaha RD350 I own one myself. A 1996 model that I bought over 2 years ago. It was 3rd owner bike and though the engine is not anywhere mint the bike runs like a dream. Cosmetic condition is good.

For a 2005 model your bike looks stunning. Looks like it has been taken care of very well by the previous owner.

Congratulations.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:28   #36
BHPian

I now own a Standard 350, got it in Nov 2009, just after the news of CI being scrapped came out. I had an AVl Machismo earlier.

Looked for 500cc CI as well, however was told that spares were a super major issue and going forward would become more challenging. Since i wanted the bike for lifetime, and planned to do extensive touring, decided to play it safe and got a brand new 350.

But, am I jealous..
Old 17th May 2010, 11:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Even though I hardly understand the Photographic lingo, however I must complement, your pics are some of the most impressive ones i have seen on the forum. I mean, I do not understand the technicalities, but Damn !! Do they please the eye.

Quote:
I now own a Standard 350, got it in Nov 2009, just after the news of CI being scrapped came out. I had an AVl Machismo earlier.

Looked for 500cc CI as well, however was told that spares were a super major issue and going forward would become more challenging. Since i wanted the bike for lifetime, and planned to do extensive touring, decided to play it safe and got a brand new 350.

But, am I jealous..

LOL shashank!!!

Thank you for the appreciation of my *limited* photographic talents!

I like your line of thought and yes, the CI beat is pretty much addictive! The spares for the CI 500 ARE a nightmare. One enlightened individual has quoted 12500 for an entire bore kit - which did make me gulp. But I shall cross that bridge when I get to it, although I have already started stocking up spares as and when I can lay my hands on them.

The funny bit is that spares are more easily available abroad than here in India itself!

Interested in riding upto Leh? Lets connect on a PM and meet up?

stay safe,
Ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Welcome to the very elite group of Royal Enfield Cast Iron 500cc owners. A bike that is just as rare to spot as a Yamaha RD350 I own one myself. A 1996 model that I bought over 2 years ago. It was 3rd owner bike and though the engine is not anywhere mint the bike runs like a dream. Cosmetic condition is good.

For a 2005 model your bike looks stunning. Looks like it has been taken care of very well by the previous owner.

Congratulations.
Thank you Sandeep,

I agree, the 500 is a bit of a rare beast and draws appreciative stares when parked pretty much anywhere! (which in itself is surprising since she doesn't look any different from an Electra really!!!)

Well, the bodywork save for the tank was fairly indifferent when I bought her, but the engine felt tight and almost unused. That is what really clinched it for me, since I knew that I could get the aesthetic bits done in a jiffy.

Since then, she has been buffed and scrubbed and polished and had her toolboxes and subframe receive a lick of paint! So, what you see in front of you is a bike after a fair amount of TLC.

My feeling is that the previous owner bought her on a whim. rode her for a bit and then the mileage bit him in the backside. Standing for atleast a couple of years, thats when he decided to dispose it off... *lucky me*

stay safe bro,
Ak.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post

My feeling is that the previous owner bought her on a whim. rode her for a bit and then the mileage bit him in the backside.
This makes me ask,what mileage are you getting?
Old 17th May 2010, 12:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
One enlightened individual has quoted 12500 for an entire bore kit - which did make me gulp. But I shall cross that bridge when I get to it, although I have already started stocking up spares as and when I can lay my hands on them.
well, I went dumbstruck when I saw the price for the new bore kit!!!! For the same money, you could buy and entire engine of a CI 350.

As you said, spares are available easier in UK, Hitchcock motorcycles are making them there and selling it. I think it's got to do with the huge numbers of CI500s exported and sold there than in India. The price is also on the fairer side, European made piston rings cost INR1000 which is reasonable. The only issue is shipping, the last time when I inquired, they quoted 25GBP for an insured shipping

Off late, my beast has lost her top end performance and feel sluggish.. I am getting my engine and valve train opened up and checked this week, I've already got the head valves, ordered the local made piston rings from Chawla's (Rs.350)..waiting for them to arrive and keeping my fingers crossed.

On the FE, last time when I checked, i was getting 22-25 (pure city riding).

Are you planning any performance mods (FFE, K&N, upjet etc?)
Old 17th May 2010, 15:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My feeling is that the previous owner bought her on a whim. rode her for a bit and then the mileage bit him in the backside.
The interesting thing is the bike is quite fuel efficient for its engine capacity. I regularly register 26-27Kmpl on my daily work commute and I almost always ride in the prime torque and power band which in the case of the CI500, does not involve too much throttle input or hard revving.

On the highway I have managed 30Kmpl which is simply stunning for a CI500. My regular ride partner who rides a CI500 too has managed a little more. So going by these figures there is really nothing that I can complain about.

Reliability has been very good too. With the state of my engine it needs an oil change sooner than normal and that's every 2000km. Its other wise 3000km going by manufacturer schedule. However oil consumption is on the high if high speeds are sustained, which you can do on a CI500 and if you ride in extremely hot weather. I normally change oil after each ride as it ends up in a burnt color due to worn piston rings and though I have 2 spare sets I don't want to change them until the point comes where I am facing serious engine performance & efficiency issues. So keep a check on this.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasma View Post
This makes me ask,what mileage are you getting?
hey bhasma,

my best guess at this point (since i've only used 1 tank of gas so far) and that too when a fair amount of the fuel was leached to clean various engine parts during service... is in the region of 23 - 25. i should have more accurate numbers on my current tank run. will confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
well, I went dumbstruck when I saw the price for the new bore kit!!!! For the same money, you could buy and entire engine of a CI 350.

As you said, spares are available easier in UK, Hitchcock motorcycles are making them there and selling it. I think it's got to do with the huge numbers of CI500s exported and sold there than in India. The price is also on the fairer side, European made piston rings cost INR1000 which is reasonable. The only issue is shipping, the last time when I inquired, they quoted 25GBP for an insured shipping

Off late, my beast has lost her top end performance and feel sluggish.. I am getting my engine and valve train opened up and checked this week, I've already got the head valves, ordered the local made piston rings from Chawla's (Rs.350)..waiting for them to arrive and keeping my fingers crossed.

On the FE, last time when I checked, i was getting 22-25 (pure city riding).

Are you planning any performance mods (FFE, K&N, upjet etc?)

yeah shipping's a real deal breaker mano.

not planning any performance mods at the moment, since i want to ride her up as stock as possible... all the best with your opening up bro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The interesting thing is the bike is quite fuel efficient for its engine capacity. I regularly register 26-27Kmpl on my daily work commute and I almost always ride in the prime torque and power band which in the case of the CI500, does not involve too much throttle input or hard revving.

On the highway I have managed 30Kmpl which is simply stunning for a CI500. My regular ride partner who rides a CI500 too has managed a little more. So going by these figures there is really nothing that I can complain about.
yeah, for the fact that the motor is actually an antiquated piece of machinery, getting a healthy 25+ is pretty darn cool actually....

and sandeep, much like any machinery, if you are willing to spend time and effort to look after the bike, she will reward your efforts many times over.

i bought into the CI 500 with my eyes fully and wide open, knowing that spares are going to be a real ache in the place where the sun don't shine. but, i have enjoyed the last 18 days she's been with me. my only complaint is that i actually didn't pick her up new when she was still being peddled by RE!

stay safe guys.

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 18th May 2010 at 15:35.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:24   #42
BHPian

Ah! Congrats on your purchase. As someone who has never (properly) learnt how to ride a motorbike and has consequently never owned one, I find myself strangely attracted to these two wheeled beauties.
I would have plunk my money on a bike by now, but delhi traffic honestly scares the bejesus out of me.
That said, your bike looks beautiful. Excellent photography as well, despite my disdain for the marque your thread makes me want to go out and buy one right now..
( that is a HUGE compliment, please take it as such! )
Old 20th May 2010, 18:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradster View Post
Ah! Congrats on your purchase. As someone who has never (properly) learnt how to ride a motorbike and has consequently never owned one, I find myself strangely attracted to these two wheeled beauties.
I would have plunk my money on a bike by now, but delhi traffic honestly scares the bejesus out of me.
That said, your bike looks beautiful. Excellent photography as well, despite my disdain for the marque your thread makes me want to go out and buy one right now..
( that is a HUGE compliment, please take it as such! )
hey pradster,

thanks bro. and i shall happily take the HUGE compliment!!!

there's something about the freedom (or not) that 2 wheels afford, which is what draws men like myself like bees to honey!!!

i completely agree about the delhi traffic and as a matter of fact, just yesterday on our way to dinner in noida; the kids were in the back and i was chatting with the wife about how much i loved being back on a bike. (needless to say, we were in the linea!) but and here was the much dreaded but ~ after having been mollycoddled and cocooned in the comforts of a car(s) for many moons, the feeling of abject nakedness on 2 wheels is mind-blowingly frightening.

that said, 2 wheels come into their own in traffic jams. little nooks become gaping spaces, bumper to bumper traffic still allows you through and a 1 hour journey gets converted into a 20 min ride. (yes - at the expense of much heat and even more dust though!!)

i'm glad i've got back onto a bike and i'd highly recommend it to most people (including you!)

go on....you only live once!

tc mano and thanks for the kind words again.
stay safe and be sane.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

hey black...

cheers mano. i'm actually kind of glad that you didn't pick up the 535. amongst all the bikes that RE have put out there, the 535 is the only one that i have ACTUALLY disliked. it's twitchy and nowhere near as stable as most of the other bullets...

IMHO, i think you are MUCH better off with your electra and when the time and money permits, there are some cracking upgrades to be had from abroad...

cheers and ride safe dude.

Hey mate,

Well, you are right that the 535 is not as stable or reliable as the other Bullets, but even the 500 is nowhere as stable as the 350. At the end of the day, we still love it And in fact, the unstable nature of the 535 was primarily attributed to the fact that it was an over-bored 500cc CI engine, designed for Switzerland, with a high compression piston & higher output oil pumps. Basically a 500cc CI bullet with some performance mods. But these mods generated a slightly higher amount of heat, which resulted in the engine's problematic nature in Indian climatic conditions. Although post 2001, starting from 2002, RE had introduced a toned down version, that produced only 23bhp, as opposed to the intial Lightnings that produced 25 bhp. They simply removed the high compression piston keeping everything else the same.

This particular 535 that I speak of, was a 2002 end model. But then, you rightly said, that when time & money permits, I can still go ahead & get one tomorrow. Heck, people even get vintages in this day & age, the RE 500 was still around less than a decade ago

Take care mate.

Ride safe.
Old 27th May 2010, 07:37   #45
BHPian

Dear Bite the Bullet,

This is one of the best threads that I Have read in some time. Definitely the best thread about a bull!
The thread has brought a lump in my throat.
I inherited my dad's STD 350 8 years back. She was my pride and joy during my college and still remains.
But a bad back forced me to decide to part with her.

Your thread really has put me into a dilemma.

BTW. Great acquisition. I am sure you would take good care of her.

Ride Safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks