Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 13:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tak Tak Tak Sound from my Enfield Bullet Standard 350 1996 Model

Hi, I would need some advice as to a noise sounding tak tak coming from my standard bulllet 350 when in motion. I think the sound comes from the rear side. This sound is heard when the bike is at low speeds maybe even at high speeds but cant hear it due to the bikes noise.

Also the bike misses a beat while I whack open the throttle. Can anyone of you guyz help me overcome this issue.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Hi, I would need some advice as to a noise sounding tak tak coming from my standard bulllet 350 when in motion. I think the sound comes from the rear side. This sound is heard when the bike is at low speeds maybe even at high speeds but cant hear it due to the bikes noise.

Also the bike misses a beat while I whack open the throttle. Can anyone of you guyz help me overcome this issue.
That Tak-Tak sound is because of of the faulty (loose) chain. Get the chain set replaced & the sound will disappear.

Regarding bike missing a beat, other RE experts will sure come up with a solution.

Best of luck
Old 12th May 2010, 15:52   #3
BHPian

That Tak-Tak sound could be the chain lock or a mis-aligned chain guard hitting the chain.
Regarding the missing part, check the ignition timing and the carb setting.
How old is your Bullet?
Old 12th May 2010, 16:59   #4
BHPian

If you have been using your Bullet since 1996 and have never replaced your chain sprocket till now, congratulations on developing this sound so late. Your sprocket teeth might be worn out a bit. This would cause the chain to jump at times and hit against the chain guard. This seems to me to be the most probable cause for the noise.

As for the missing beat part, remember you are riding a single cylinder 350cc engine. So when you whack open your throttle, you suddenly put in a lot of fuel into the cylinder and it takes the engine a half-second to adjust to this new ignition timing that you want it to have. The time lapse between two successive sparks need reducing that would enable the fuel to burn at an accelerated pace and raise your RPM. This missing of the beat is quite natural. To remove this phenomenon, you would essentially have to modify your valves, port your head, etc. In short, race-spec your Bull.

To the untrained man, these seem to be your problems. However, taking it to a mechanic and having him take a look at your engine shouldn't be a bad idea. For all you know, the sound that you feel is coming from the rear is actually a tappet noise. IMHO, one should trust his eyes more than his ears.
Old 12th May 2010, 20:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tak Tak usually is due to loose pushrods or cam backlash. But, sitting here and predicting is difficult. Take your Bullet to a mechanic asap.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 13th May 2010, 10:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Itz the chain problem

Hey guyz,

Thankyou for your valuable suggestions, I took my bike to the mechanic and he found out it was the chain which was the culprit.

The chain was hitting the chain guard due to which the tak tak sound was coming, I guess its time to replace the chain and and the sprocket, infact am planning to replace the entire chain assembly. However the mech has told me that there is no need to change the chain right away i can continue with this and change it at a later stage.

Also I would like to know the price of the entire chain assembly. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks