Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 14:29   #1
BHPian

Few Queries on owning a rarely used Motorbike

Hi All,

I've upgraded from a 3 year-old Motorbike to a Car some months back. So my usage of Motorbike has reduced driastically.

Now on average, I use it only once a month for 25 km trip. So have below queries concerning the insurance and regular servicing:
  1. Is it worth buying regular insurance for the motorbike for such minimal usage. Are there any cheaper alternatives (legal/illegal - you may PM me) ? Now my fuel bill for whole year may be equal(infact be less) compared to insurance premium. I have all other papers i order. The traffic-cops have caught me 1-2 times (even in this rare usage) only due to missing insurance papers.
  2. And how often should I service the vehicle now. I have been getting it serviced once in 5-6 months till now. Or, Is it feasible to reduce service costs by servicing the bike on my own.., say once in 10-12 months by buying the required engine/fuel-tank oils from outside ?
Please advise me your inputs and/or direct me to a thread containing such info (if it exists, as my search did not return any such result).
Old 13th May 2010, 14:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool.aquarian View Post
Is it worth buying regular insurance for the motorbike for such minimal usage.
Well, I don't know what motorcycle you have & how passionate you're about it. Anyway, what's the value of motorcycle in the insurance paper? Just keep a point that in case of theft, you can claim the insurance only if you've comprehensive & third party is only when you want to safe guard against youself on any accident.

Quote:
Are there any cheaper alternatives (legal/illegal - you may PM me) ? Now my fuel bill for whole year may be equal(infact be less) compared to insurance premium. I have all other papers i order. The traffic-cops have caught me 1-2 times (even in this rare usage) only due to missing insurance papers.
Legal way - switch over from comprehensive to third party insurance, but remember, once you buy third party, you may not be allowed to go back with comprehensive coverage, its one way ticket. I pay about Rs 185 for my 19 year young RX on third party & 600 odd for my 5 years old Activa in comprehensive.

Quote:
And how often should I service the vehicle now. I have been getting it serviced once in 5-6 months till now. Or, Is it feasible to reduce service costs by servicing the bike on my own.., say once in 10-12 months by buying the required engine/fuel-tank oils from outside ?
IMO, there's nothing that gives you more satisfaction to work on the motorcycle all by yourself & that works out damn cheap + satisfaction + your knowledge improves. If its 2 stroke like RX, get it serviced once in 8 months or 5K-7K kms whichever is earlier. If its a 4 stroke, then get it serviced once in 6 months or 3K kms whichever is earlier.

Last edited by aargee : 13th May 2010 at 14:42.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:43   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any cheaper alternatives (legal/illegal - you may PM me)?
A request. Please don't solicit illegal alternatives, even through PM. At TBHP we don't believe in illegal alternatives.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please indicate which motorcycle is it that you are rarely using.

Agree to what argee has said, go for third party insurance only if the value of the vehicle in the insurance paper for comprehensive insurance is quite less and the bike is very old.

Now coming to illegal, i know of a guy in office who has never renewed insurance till date and is using the old insurance copy, changing the dates in PS or some other tool and using it. This is purely to escape fines. God forbid in case he meets with an accident, then it will be brutal consequences for him. So better not take the illegal cheaper alternative.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Aquarian - Just imagine this. Someone borrows your motorcycle, runs over some young boy from a nearby slum, who escapes from minor injury, cops & the boy's affinity finds out that you don't have an insurance & that sounds like a festival celebration for them & nightmares for you. Imagine them dragging you to court & if you don't turn up for the hearings, you'd it. If you'd insurance, the insurance company takes care of the dealings with court & letting you live in peace.
My point - if you're clean, you can sleep in peace

Last edited by aargee : 13th May 2010 at 14:55.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Please indicate which motorcycle is it that you are rarely using.

Agree to what argee has said, go for third party insurance only if the value of the vehicle in the insurance paper for comprehensive insurance is quite less and the bike is very old.

Now coming to illegal, i know of a guy in office who has never renewed insurance till date and is using the old insurance copy, changing the dates in PS or some other tool and using it. This is purely to escape fines. God forbid in case he meets with an accident, then it will be brutal consequences for him. So better not take the illegal cheaper alternative.
I have Bajaj Discover 125CC 2007 model with 3700km on ODO (I used to drive less even when I did not have car).
And park the motorbike indoors (sort of indoor balcony) at all times when not in use. Also only I drive the vehicle at all times and very carefully in sparse traffic. Also in case of accident, does insurance really help that much, coz I think people get away with minor errors(it is just a bike after all.. what real damage can it do) by not taking the matter to cops and settling the matter with other party involved in accident then and there only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

IMO, there's nothing that gives you more satisfaction to work on the motorcycle all by yourself & that works out damn cheap + satisfaction + your knowledge improves. If its 2 stroke like RX, get it serviced once in 8 months or 5K-7K kms whichever is earlier. If its a 4 stroke, then get it serviced once in 6 months or 3K kms whichever is earlier.
I more than agree with your comment. Is there any guide here on TBHP for self servicing a bike ?

Last edited by cool.aquarian : 13th May 2010 at 15:20.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I more than agree with your comment. Is there any guide here on TBHP for self servicing a bike ?
Well to begin with, you can start with your owner's manual that will contain basic information like cleaning airfilters, changing oil, brake inspection, headlights adjustments, rear suspension setting, removing wheels, spark plug cleaning, lubrcating the chain, replacing fuse (if any). Alternatively write to Bajaj Auto to obtain a copy of workshop manual for a long term ownership basis.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've upgraded from a 3 year-old Motorbike to a Car some months back.
While T-Bhp, as usual, has provided you with sane, decent advice, I just wanted to highlight that the above is not necessarily an "upgrade"
Old 13th May 2010, 15:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Also in case of accident, does insurance really help that much, coz I think people get away with minor errors(it is just a bike after all.. what real damage can it do) by not taking the matter to cops and settling the matter with other party involved in accident then and there only.
Please dont always rely on the above statement. Yes in most cases if its a bike accident, mostly it would be settled out of court/cops. But why take the chance at all if you can go for third party insurance. You can sleep in peace leaving the settlement to the insurance company.

So please ensure you always have a valid insurance for your bike though its rarely used. It can either be comprehensive/third party.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what is the insurance premium you had last paid for the bike? Was it comp or third party?
Old 13th May 2010, 16:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Like others have said, really how much would you save on insurance? I have 7 year old Passion and the comp insurance comes to just Rs.500 odd (Have never claimed insurance till now and therefore get 50% NCB). 3rd party would be even lesser. IMO its a very small price to pay for peace of mind. Don't go for anything illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well to begin with, you can start with your owner's manual that will contain basic information like cleaning airfilters, changing oil, brake inspection, headlights adjustments, rear suspension setting, removing wheels, spark plug cleaning, lubrcating the chain, replacing fuse (if any). Alternatively write to Bajaj Auto to obtain a copy of workshop manual for a long term ownership basis.
Which owner's manual give you how to do all these stuff? The owner's manual of both my bike and car don't have even basic technical stuff. And do manufacturers give out workshop manuals? I doubt.

Can someone post tutorial of basic DIY service?
Old 13th May 2010, 17:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
While T-Bhp, as usual, has provided you with sane, decent advice, I just wanted to highlight that the above is not necessarily an "upgrade"
I can make out this coming from a bike enthusiast
I got ur sentiments there buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Like others have said, really how much would you save on insurance? I have 7 year old Passion and the comp insurance comes to just Rs.500 odd (Have never claimed insurance till now and therefore get 50% NCB). 3rd party would be even lesser. IMO its a very small price to pay for peace of mind. Don't go for anything illegal.

Which owner's manual give you how to do all these stuff? The owner's manual of both my bike and car don't have even basic technical stuff. And do manufacturers give out workshop manuals? I doubt.

Can someone post tutorial of basic DIY service?
I enquired from Bajaj Allianz for comp insurance and they are quoting about Rs:1350/- with IDV about 38K.

And I believe I wont even spend 1350 as fuel bill for bike in the next full year.
So I am in the dillema. Sometimes think to completely abandon using bike at all as the cost for commuting that distance in car would also be about that same. 25km x 12 = 24 litres (even if I take 12-13 kmpl) = 1200+ Rs.

About DIY manual, yes I also dont think any Bajaj person would give workshop manual like that.
And owner manual is very basic and contains only stuff like how to open seat cover, electronic controls etc..

Last edited by cool.aquarian : 13th May 2010 at 17:59.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Cool. aquarian. i would suggest you to vetter get the Insurance done let it be a Third party. it will keep you on a safer side of the law and also in case of a accident you would be safe leagaly. if you really cant afford that or have any reasons to not get it done then just sell of the bike or keep it off the road in your home. hey and try the nationalized insurance companies they would do it for you for around 600 rs for a Third party

----------

I would like to Add even though you would be usiing the bike for just 25 Km per month apart from this i am sure you would get your bike services twice a year that means add another 1000 roughly.

Last edited by desideep : 13th May 2010 at 18:08.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:09   #13
BHPian

A Question here on 3rd party - if he takes 3rd party and then say a year or two down the line sells the bike, then does the new owner gets to go back to comprehensive insurance or is he stuck with 3rd party? If the 3rd party cannot be changed it may hit the resale value of the bike I would assume.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:54   #14
BHPian

I don't see the reason why he cannot afford insurance (be it comprehensive or 3rd party) when he can buy a car! The amount is not that much when you consider the peace of mind you get after paying the insurance.

Please do not take offense cool aquarian, but if you only ride 25kms a month, rather than going any illegal or cost cutting way, I would suggest you sell off the bike.
Old 13th May 2010, 19:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
A Question here on 3rd party - if he takes 3rd party and then say a year or two down the line sells the bike, then does the new owner gets to go back to comprehensive insurance or is he stuck with 3rd party? If the 3rd party cannot be changed it may hit the resale value of the bike I would assume.
Yes it does; also I heard that after few years, the insurance company will change from comprehensive to third party. But I'm not sure though.

Quote:
Which owner's manual give you how to do all these stuff?
Atleast HMSI does; I've these information from the owner's manual. I learned to remove & adjust headlights on Activa from this manual. Which car are you talking about, I've WagonR & the owner's manual has instructions for following
1. Cleaning airfilter
2. Cleaning spark plugs
3. Topping brake fluid
4. Tyre rotation methods
5. Fuse box location & replacement
6. Head light bulb, oval bulb & round bulb, registration plate bulb removal
7. Wiper blade removal
8. Jacking instructions
9. Jump starting instructions

@Aquarian - Check out this site for your needs on manual

Last edited by aargee : 13th May 2010 at 19:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks