Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 12:44   #16
BHPian

I had the same problem with mine and it turned out it was my wheel bearing. Once replaced it was good for a month, but then began again. Any idea what could cause systematic bearing failure? Bad alignment?
Old 27th May 2010, 13:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

My Apache 180 is on the Service Centre For exactly the Same Reason.Thanks For this Thread,Will Ask them to Check for Wheel Bearings as well.They are Blind of the Reason,Assuming possibility of Gas Shocks leaking(But it is not So).

Thanks
Old 27th May 2010, 22:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Does the whole swingarm along with tyre moves sideways or just the tyre? If the whole thing moves then the bushes and if not then probably the bearings.
The entire swing-arm moves, so it must be the bushes, as you say. Sorry to keep you guys waiting, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to take it to the mechanic (15 km away) till next week. But I'll post as soon as I do...
Old 31st May 2010, 18:34   #19
BHPian

Fixed! But it was somewhat of an anti-climax. The swing-arm main nut (covered by the chrome caps on the sides) was loose! I had tightened it with the standard spanner set, but that was apparently not enough. The mechanic (Waris, a great guy at the Kanpur RE shop, if you ever need him) tightened it with an large lug wrench, and it was done.

However, the trip was not a total loss. Waris also degreased and lubed the chain and the cables. The TBTS is now running butter-smooth...
Old 31st May 2010, 18:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

The reason why I asked about Pillion is because the earlier TB (2003) which I have used to give me all this problem whenever a pillion rider sat.

After analysing - I identified the seat frame as the culprit - tried to get X frame welded to give it rigidity - however, before I could od that - I saw that the frame got cracked after some time - whcih I had to weld again anyway, and instead of crossframe, I did somethign even simpler - shifted the backrest forward (by and inch or so).

The problem used to happen more because pillion riders tendency to sit loose/slack and all the way back touching the back rest.

Move the back rest forward - and viola the problem disappeared.

Funny thing is that - after a year or so - when the "new" TB was realeased = only graphics and paint job - they redid the whole rear seating frame - to make it more rigid!

Guess I am a better engr than RE fellows

Last edited by alpha1 : 31st May 2010 at 18:51.
Old 5th June 2010, 21:17   #21
Team-BHP Support

Please check the strength of the tires sidewall.

Just found that the sidewall of my bike's rear tire (Dunlop) has weakened. Its flexing more than it should (as per my mechanic).

My mechanic simply held the bike from the left hand side. No stand engaged. Then using his foot pressed hard on the foot rest.
We observed the tire flexing and bending.

No idea how scientific it is, but I have been getting some stability issues at high speed turns and under heavy braking.
Old 6th June 2010, 14:26   #22
Team-BHP Support

I bought a new tire for my bike.
Damn prices have gone up by almost 50% since the last time.

Rear 19" MRF with Dunlop Tube cost me 2200. 1900 for tire and 300 for tube.

When we removed the old tire I found that the side wall was indeed softer and a lot more flexible than the new tire.

I strongly urge you to also inspect your rear tire.
Old 6th June 2010, 16:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

MRF tyre's for bullet has been selling in black lately and specially the front one. Thats one of the reason for inflated prices.
Old 6th June 2010, 16:37   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
MRF tyre's for bullet has been selling in black lately and specially the front one. Thats one of the reason for inflated prices.
Sorry for going OT.
But this is the price because of increase in rubber costs.
The dealer was telling me that the price of rubber has shot up from Rs 80 a kg to Rs 200 in recent times.

btw, be happy you don't ride an FZ. Its rear tire costs about 2,600.

Most Viewed