Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 11:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

TVS Jive - First Ownership Report

After lot of thinking and analysis, I have booked TVS JIVE (black+gold colour) today.
Ex showroom price Rs.41378 plus Road Tax,Insurance, saree guard, foot rest etc accessories -totalliing Rs.47800/-. The Bike is due for delivery, after registration formalities, on 28th May.

Whilst I was in Malaysia last week, I found that 95% two wheelers (they call it as MOTOR) are Clutch free with gear. But what I found that the gear working is different than what TVS JIVE works. in Jive the gear can be shifted even the bike is on idle however in those bikes (motor), the gear shifting is possible only after you start the engine. also the gear will move from 1st to 2nd only after attaining certain speed and again 2nd to 3rd so on. Also there was no headlight on/off switch because it is mandatory in malaysia that every two wheelers has to put on the headlight during day time. May be this is the reason the bikes are manufactured without headlight switch that means when the bike ignition is on the headlight will go on automatically and it can be switched off only when the engine is switched off. so, one need not to worry whether the headlight is on or not and thus avoid paying penalty to the cops. Good idea.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the saaree guard supposed to come free with every motorcycle?
Old 26th May 2010, 14:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes, a Saree guard & one RVM.
Old 26th May 2010, 15:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

But the dealer said that saree guard is extra and need to pay.
Where it can be clarified? may be direct with tvs, but then they may not respond
properly?
Old 26th May 2010, 18:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tell him it as per motor vehicle rule, heck even the R1s sold in India get to sport one.

Also that he should mention it on the bill that the amount taken is for saree guard & whatever else he has quoted you.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have seen myself when they were offloading the bikes at their showroom and none of the bikes (jive) do not have any accessories fitted into (except two RVM's are equipped with). Also since it is a new model (clutch free and it is first of it kind introduced in the bike category), they are not offering any discount or freebies!

yes, I will make sure that all accessories fitted are properly invoiced.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

It isn't a freebie.

They are supposed to provide them as per the law of the land. And if they are charging money for it, they are just ripping you off.
Their cost is already covered in the ex-showroom price in a way.

DO NOT in any condition let them charge you for it.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes understand.
Again clarified about this saree guard with them. They too agree that saree guard is mandatory for all bike's. Some bikes, it comes fitted from the factory and the showroom price includes this saree guard. Whereas for other bikes like Jive and city they invoice without saree guard (benefit for buyers - tax reduction?) and then add saree guard price for which they will give a seperate bill.
The ex showroom price they charged me was Rs.41378 without saree guard instead of Rs.42378 including saree guard. He claim to say that by doing this seperate billing, I am saving tax on Rs.1000/-. (not big money?)

Anyway the bike is due for delivery in an hour time. will check the invoices and accessory bills and then see how to go about, incase they charge extra for the saree guard from me.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

JIVE - Taken delivery

As promised, the dealer delivered the JIVE this morning.
Have took the bike for a ride about 7/8 kms and enjoyed the ride.

Eventhough the bike has got gears (no clutch), but it can be moved even at 4th gear - only thing is that need to raise the throttle slowly and thereby the vehicle gets momentum and stabilize the speed to 4th gear level. If practise this, then no need for shfiting gears and the bike acts as gearless.

The Vehicle can be brought to neutral position directly from the 4th gear when the vehicle in standstill condition.

underseat storage: Need to remove the complete seat, if we have to use the underseat space (one bottle and folded umbrella or some papers can be kept in that space) which I feal little inconvenient.
(I think it will be better if we fit a side box enable carry some necessary items).

When I took delivery the fuel position was on Reserve. On the way I filled the tank (10litre) and then found that fuel gauge indicator (needle) is not functioning. First complaint on the delivery day itself. Spoke to the dealer guys who suspects that the connection wire to the gauge may have losen and asked me to go there with the bike enable for them to check and rectify. (not happy somewhat).

In the booklet they have written that (fuel economy consumer information) the fuel economy under standard test conditions for this bike is 83.9 km/L? Is this going to be actual? Lets wait and see.

TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-img00025201005281326.jpg

TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-img00026201005281326.jpg

TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-img00027201005281327.jpg

TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-img00028201005281328.jpg

TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-img00029201005281328.jpg

TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-img00032201005281329.jpg

Thats all now..
Old 28th May 2010, 14:26   #10
BHPian

Congrats Nairrk, please keep us posted on the ownership experience as you log in those miles, an ownership thread is awaited on this one, I think you are the 1st to own the Jive on the forum.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

Why don't you start a new ownership thread?

The wire problem isn't big. It most probably is just a lose connection, and will be easily rectified.

I would advise against using the 4th gear exclusively. Lets understand how it works from a layman's perspective.
Lets say the clutch stays in different stages of engagement at different speeds for different gears.
If we are at idle and the gear is the fourth, the clutch is engaged. Now by starting off in the 4th gear will result in a very long period of clutch riding.

Clutch riding, not only ensures a fried plate/excess overheating... it also means very low efficiency.

So, in all probability you might end up with just 30kmpl if you don't engage the gears right.

Cheers!
Old 28th May 2010, 14:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

yes looks like I am the first one owning the Jive amongst TBHP members!, as I havent seen any ownership report so far from anyone?

lets see how it works in the longer run.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations nairrk!

Do post your experiences in a separate thread, especially the riding convenience part vis-a-vis a scooter. And yes, the FE too :-).
Old 1st June 2010, 09:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I will give ownership experience very shortly.

Fuel gauge indicator - now it is working (as suspected the cable was not connected to the gauge - so just 2 minutes job and now its fine).
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

TVS JIVE - 1st One to OWN on this forum??

TVS JIVE – The No Clutch Bike

After lot of investigation/searches in the website’s about the non-clutch but geared motor bikes, I was almost decided to go for one. Suddenly I got an opportunity to visit Malaysia And there I have seen 95% bikes are of Non clutch but with gear vehicles. Also have read suggestions and opinions about Jive and non clutch bike's on this forum.

Once I am mentally prepared and ready to go for this bike, visited nearby TVS showroom and seen the Jive. The wating time in our area for JIVE was 15/20 days.

All these days (for about 4 years), I have been using a Kinetic S and thereafter Kinetic Flyte (now Mahindra Flyte). The Flyte was giving only 30/32 kmpl FE and also the dealer shop is about 38kms (one way) away from my place (when I bought the scooty, there was a sub-dealer shownroom in my place which was closed down after few months), I have been thinking of changing the scooter. At this point of time, I first saw the ad from TVS about the JIVE and then followed this one till now.

On 25th May, booked the Jive (Black+Golden colour) by paying Rs.2000/- as booking amount. The dealer promised me the delivery on/around 15th June. However, to my surprise the dealer called me next day and told me that some one has cancelled the booking (who has changed preference to star city) and if I am ready then willing to allot that Vehicle to me.
I agreed and paid the amount next day. The Bike was registered on
27th May and delivered to me on 28th May Noon time.

TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-tvs-jive-002.jpg
TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-tvs-jive-001.jpg
TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-tvs-jive-003.jpg

Since I have been driving the scooty for the last 4 years which has got both brakes in hand, I took some practice within my compound, especially to get my right leg used to press the rear brake pedel.

The Bike is equipped with 4 stroke single cylinder 110 (109.7) cc engine with handsfree Gearshift. Also it has got Rotary gear system, the gear can be shifted from 1 to 2, 2 to3, 3 to 4 and then 4th to Neutral and again Neutral to 1st – so on.. But 4th gear to Neutral can be possible only when the vehicle is in complete standstill. Same way it can be shifted from 4th to 3rd, 3 to 2, 2 to 1st and then Neutral (so it is simple that the gear can be shifted in any rotation.

The Bike can be started (ignition) at any gear, also there is a gear indicator which will tells you what gear you are on. Even you can move the bike from 4th gear (eventhough it is not advisable to do so always) and the bike will start rolling without any engine knocking. If you need to stop the bike when on 4th gear and immediately you want to move the bike, you can do it immediately without coming down to lower gears.

TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-tvs-jive-004.jpg
TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-tvs-jive-005.jpg
TVS Jive - First Ownership Report-tvs-jive-006.jpg

I found the gear changing in this bike is very easy and comfortable when you are on heavy traffic.

The bike is equipped with a kick starter as well as electric (instant push button) starter.
It has got a 15 litre capacity petrol Tank (including 2.7 litre reserve) and the company is promising atleast 65kmpl FE. (yet to test on this as the ODO is only crossed 111kms).

There is a small underseat storage facility, but one need to remove the seat completely to use this space (not 100pct convenient, according to me) and you can keep a water bottle or one folding umbrella or some documents- that’s all).

The ex show room price (in Kerala) is Rs.41,375 and On road price is Rs.47,800/-

No complaints so far except that, when I took delivery of the bike the fuel gauge indicator was not functioning which was rectified later (the cable connecting from the fuel tank to the fuel gauge indicator was lose hence the problem). There are no other problems faced so far in this bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks