Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 00:10   #1
BHPian

Purchasing a Used Bike in PUNE - EDIT - Bought a Karizma

I just joined a college in Pune two days back, and am here to stay for the coming two years. Back at home, in Kerala I had a unicorn for the last 5 years, which I sold of in haste before relocating here.

Now I have a max budget of 40k within which I need a used bike (not less than 150 cc) for the next two years during which the maximum I am going to use the bike would be say, 3000 km after which i'll be selling it off, so resale is somewhat important.

My usage will be limited to the occasional jaunts (once in a week, 50km max) from the college to the city, and a long ride to the nearby hill stations once in a quarter and may be one or two longer trips to Goa /Mumbai during the whole 2 years.

I might almost always have a pillion and the loss in power/handling shouldn't be too distracting. I need a bike that is fast, and fun around corners and .Reliability is paramount because campus is in a very very remote location .Mileage isn't that important and although I'm used to the super-refined Uni, I guess since the usage is very limited, refinement is not a deal breaker either

What springs to my mind is a used Karizma, but I am not sure if i'd be able to manage it within my budget.What other option do I have? Just to add, I have absolutely zero local knowledge and my Hindi is pathetic, so I don't want to get conned and end up stuck with a lemon so it would be great if any Bhpian from Pune can suggest me some decent place/trustworthy broker to pick up a used bike?

Thanking you in advance,

Aravind.
Old 10th June 2010, 00:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you look for individuals over the net. 2 wheels from brokers is not a good idea. Not that all are bad, but, still. Yeah I would too suggest a Karizma and you might get a ok-okish one for 40 grand.
Its good that you had a bike earlier and you know what is what as far as engine and handling are concerned, only thing is clean papers and correct ODO reading. I find local mechanics with small garages helpful. They know people who are interested in selling vehicles.

But I feel a trip to Goa and all is a little far fetched on a bike, but hey, its your bike and your spine so all the best.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 10th June 2010 at 00:32.
Old 10th June 2010, 13:48   #3
BHPian

Like prince says you should go and check with any local mechanics or notice boards in your college. Next would be the internet - but look for individual buyers only!

Also a question- why did you sell of your bike - could have got it here as you are coming for a long duration?
Old 10th June 2010, 15:17   #4
BHPian

aravind, if you have any of your friends working in IT industry, tel them to check their portal. You have a very good chance of getting good bikes at cheaper rates.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Don't bank on used bikes.

Ppl abuse them and don't even service them.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:53   #6
BHPian

Not necessarily alpha1. Even if a bike isn't in great condition its cheaper and easier to maintain it than a used car. So used bike over used car anyday! Anyways he plans to sell it off in 2 years time.

Also checking on IT companies portals is a great way to buy used stuff. Got an acoustic guitar for myself recently from one such portal
Old 11th June 2010, 00:18   #7
BHPian

Thanks to all you guys for ur responses.I have shortlisted a few bikes from sulekha and would try to take a look at them this sunday. Most of them are P-180s and there is this one karizma 5 year old and a hunk of 2 years, both quoted at 45.I guess I might have to settle for a pulsar 180 only if i am to get one fast.I have no idea how good a hunk is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I would suggest you look for individuals over the net. 2 wheels from brokers is not a good idea. Not that all are bad, but, still. Yeah I would too suggest a Karizma and you might get a ok-okish one for 40 grand.
Its good that you had a bike earlier and you know what is what as far as engine and handling are concerned, only thing is clean papers and correct ODO reading. I find local mechanics with small garages helpful. They know people who are interested in selling vehicles.

But I feel a trip to Goa and all is a little far fetched on a bike, but hey, its your bike and your spine so all the best.
Not many karizmas that I can find on the net, and if at all there are any they are quoting unreasonably high prices. What do you think of , may be a two year old P-180? Would it be too problematic during the two years use? I have to be careful about this part, because I'm living way off the City any likely breakdowns can create hell for me, and moreover the course I'm doing leaves me with very little free time and I don't want to waste it on bike maintenance.
And Prince, even i am not 100% sure if such long trips might be possible now, but then I've done them many a times before, and given a chance, would like to do it again.So i'd like to rest assured that my bike is capable-thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Like prince says you should go and check with any local mechanics or notice boards in your college. Next would be the internet - but look for individual buyers only!

Also a question- why did you sell of your bike - could have got it here as you are coming for a long duration?
Good question. But then I had many reasons to do this. First of all, i had it for 5 years, and wanted a change. Despite all the other USPs that it might have, A Unicorn is a boring bike. And moreover, it had started showing some early signs of engine trouble (I used to really rip the bike) Also I had to take all the pains to parcel it and then may be i might be forced to Get NOC & pay the life tax here (i'm here to stay for 2 years).And to top it all, i got excellent value for my unicorn, for a quick sale( it took not more than 15 mins to find a buyer and complete the deal )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
aravind, if you have any of your friends working in IT industry, tel them to check their portal. You have a very good chance of getting good bikes at cheaper rates.
Well, I don't have any here in Pune .It'd be great if you can let me know if there are any good deals going in your company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Don't bank on used bikes.

Ppl abuse them and don't even service them.
While that can be the case more often than not, One can't just generalize, can he? Besides, what other option do i have ? In fact there is this book called "Undercover Economist" which almost conclusively proves your hypothesis right using solid economic principles . Reading it might help you so that next time onwards you would have more than ONE LINE to type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Not necessarily alpha1. Even if a bike isn't in great condition its cheaper and easier to maintain it than a used car. So used bike over used car anyday! Anyways he plans to sell it off in 2 years time.

Also checking on IT companies portals is a great way to buy used stuff. Got an acoustic guitar for myself recently from one such portal
Like I said, a used bike is the only option for me at this point. Do let me know if there are any good offers in your portal.
Old 11th June 2010, 01:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
What do you think of , may be a two year old P-180? Would it be too problematic during the two years use?
I own a 6 year old pulsar and still reminds me what I have under my a** once I crank it up and believe you me when I say it has not been soberly ridden. Yeah these things can last. Moreover one ride for 2 kms can tell you a big story. You have owned one so, it shouldn't be tough to do some analysis for you. But, haggle hard for that 5 year old karizma. He should come down to 40 K. But if you find a 2 year old P-180 with a in sync ODO reading then nothing like it IMO.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:22   #9
BHPian

Karizma - xBhp Classifieds : Buy & Sell
What you guys think of this bike? The price seems to be okay if he can knock off a few thousands. How to check if the mileage he claims is genuine? What all things I need to be wary of while doing a TD? I mean I have a fair idea, but i don't want to missout/overlook something.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

@aravindwarrier: why don't you check with our friendly mod 'technocrat' for his Apache
Old 11th June 2010, 18:17   #11
BHPian

@Sukiwa, I did contact him, as a matter of fact i had pmed him much earlier, even before creating his thread.I had an absolute max budget of 40k, even after stretching every resources that I have. So thats one reason why i dropped it. Another being that many of my friends advised against buying an apache, as it might be difficult to dispose it off after two years, as there is this general perception of TVS being less reliable after 2-3 years of usage.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post

While that can be the case more often than not, One can't just generalize, can he? Besides, what other option do i have ? In fact there is this book called "Undercover Economist" which almost conclusively proves your hypothesis right using solid economic principles . Reading it might help you so that next time onwards you would have more than ONE LINE to type.
OK.
Try your luck. Most often, especially in Pune, two wheelers are not maintained well.
Generalization - yes.
But its this generalization that gives you a probability of dud or gem.

Take care to check the oil and spark plug conditions. Ppl here have a tendency of cutting on service aspect of that.
We don't want to have an engine seizure later ...
Old 11th June 2010, 20:30   #13
BHPian

Hey Aravind,

Just sent you a PM. Hope you got the same.
Old 13th June 2010, 01:29   #14
BHPian

Update:

I bought that Karizma, mentioned a few posts above today. The seller is an Xbhpian and it was a pleasure dealing with him. Will try to post more updates on the bike later.Thanks to all you guys for your responses

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks