Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 11:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Bajaj Avenger 200: My First Bike!

Need your help guys. I have my heart set on avenger, and am planning to take the plunge by the end of this month.

Thing is, there is just 1 probiking showroom in hyderabad. When I contacted them, I was told initial booking would be for 10k and rest should be paid at delivery. All that is fine.

Among the colors, black has a wait period but red, blue, silver are available off the shelf.Do we have a checklist like we have for cars.

This is going to be my first bike and I am excited and being paranoid at the same time!

Please guide me as to how do i get a recently manufactured one and not some old piece thats been lying around.

Would greatly appreciate the inputs.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry & get paranoid.

Once you book the bike by paying 10k, the pro-biking guys will call you on a set day to select the bike from a lot. There will be about 3-4 bikes of the color of your choice.

A quick check list is as below:

1. When selecting the bike, check all the bikes for paint quality and scratches. Ensure there are no scratches from the front to back. Visually ensure that everything is in place and once you like what you see, make a note of the engine and chassis number. The sales rep will help you get the engine and chassis number.

2. While taking delivery, do a thorough visual check again to ensure everything is as it was when you selected the bike.

3. Ensure all electrical components are working like headlight, blinkers, horn etc.

4. Engine oil should already be filled by the service center. Just do a quick check in the small window given to check the oil levels

5. Enjoy riding your new bike!!!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 16th June 2010 at 12:51.
Old 17th June 2010, 00:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks abhinav. Well, feels kinda weird thanking oneself(actually I am Abhinav too!!!).
Jokes apart, will surely keep an eye on the things you mentioned.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Thanks abhinav. Well, feels kinda weird thanking oneself(actually I am Abhinav too!!!).
Jokes apart, will surely keep an eye on the things you mentioned.

Firstly congrats on your bike.

A bike doesn't require an exhaustive check up like a car. It's more or less buying off the shelf. Follow what abhinav has said, you are all set. In addition to that, if the dealer promises you free accessories like seat cover and likes, make sure they are fitted else get a written statement of the promised accessories.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
In addition to that, if the dealer promises you free accessories like seat cover and likes, make sure they are fitted else get a written statement of the promised accessories.
Thanks for adding Sachin, forgot about the accessories.
Personally i would not BUY any accessories from the dealer. Only if its offered as a freebie its ok. Else they would surely charge more than the market price for simple things like seat cover and handle bar grips. So ensure if its offered for free to get it in writing like Sachin has pointed out. Else go for it outside.

OT: Nice to know you are abhinav too!! There are quite a few of our namesake on the forum i guess!
Old 18th June 2010, 23:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys, for pointing this out.
A friend got his Avenger this week from the same people. There aren't any freebies on offer really.

One interesting thing the guy said was "You won't get good fitting seat covers for Avenger from outside". I find it hard to believe.

They offered the following,

Seat covers for Rs.500. Quality looks fine, nothing extraordinary.
Teflon Quoting for Rs.500. You get two more free quotes at the subsequent services. I am not too convinced on this either.

Update from my side is, I booked it and now it seems all the bikes have suddenly disappeared and I will have to wait for 14 days!
Old 19th June 2010, 20:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Teflon Quoting for Rs.500.
Don't go for Teflon. They break the paint over a period. There is a thread on this, couldn't find the link. Please search. I suggest you buy a wax polish (Formula1 and likes) and do a DIY. Works out cheap.
Old 19th June 2010, 21:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Sachin, I was thinking on similar lines.
Ya, I have been to the Teflon coating thread, saved me some $$$ while getting my car.

Cheap? Much cheaper, plus the Sunday morning is spent well!!
Old 21st June 2010, 10:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheap? Much cheaper, plus the Sunday morning is spent well!!

Don't forget physical exhaustion!!. Waxed my car yesterday. Cleaning and waxing took me 4 hours. End result hand pains a lot and blisters at finger tips
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Don't forget physical exhaustion!!. Waxed my car yesterday. Cleaning and waxing took me 4 hours. End result hand pains a lot and blisters at finger tips
oh I hope it's not THAT bad. Car is a different game, bike would be easy I suppose
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
oh I hope it's not THAT bad. Car is a different game, bike would be easy I suppose

Bike is a 20-min job.

Next time, I am planning to ask my dad to pay me for the wax jobs.
Old 26th June 2010, 15:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

A brief history of mine!!

@ Sachin: Hahaha!! Sure, where else will he find such a caring, careful and 'homely' person to clean up his cars!! Lol!

Small update from my side, Still waiting.. waiting to Feel Like God!!
As I have already mentioned, it is going to be my first bike. So I am tremendously excited!

Please allow me to share a brief 'history' of mine with you guys.

I am as familier to bikes as an Eskimo is to a camel.

All through my 'significant' life, it's been cars. When I was a kid though, I remember sitting on all kinds of scooters in the family.
But, as soon as I grew up, there weren't any left and all I could sit in was a car.

Safe rehti hai, was all my uncles used to say when asked about the old 'green' scooter, why was it sold.
Kaise chalate hain log, 2-wheeler toh bada riski rehta hai, I would hear the grown-ups talk from the back seat.

Naturally enough, I started getting familier with the new love of the family, Car. Bikes were somehow pushed to the background.

Untill now. I am getting one and the family has gone mad.

kaunsi
78? Assi(80) hi ho gaye, arey 1,10 mein toh Nano aa jayegi
200cc? araam se chalana, racing vacing nai karna

As I never paid much attention to bikes, there weren't really any favourites. Actually,there was one.

I have always admired that 'thump' of the Bullet. Its something else to chug along at 30 on 4th, to brake when you want to upshift, to bounce everytime there are undulations on the road or everytime the road is smooth, to have a train stop for you while you cross, not having to use your horn EVER, the list can go on, it's just mind blowingly addictive!!

Why am I not buying a bullet then?
Simple. I am scared.

I know things are different now, Bullets have evolved a great deal. But this 'something else' experience was on a old bullet not so long ago (<4 years) and the old one still has a charm about it.

I weigh in at a measly 72 in comparison to the behemoth which weighs almost the same about the Jupiter. And it will not just eat up the roads, it will eat me up, my pockets, my neighbours, my friends as well.

Such is the state of my fears!
Someday, I will stand up to my fears and face them, but not now, not yet.

Coming to the Avenger.
Even before the bike, I fell in love with the ad. I know it sounds stupid, but thats how I am wired!! The 'Feel Like God' theme seemed just so appealing, with the same charm of chugging along @ 30 back, I started liking the bike. Everytime that ad was on, a fly was in my mouth!!

From the day I saw that ad, I wanted to LIVE it.

MORE SOON.. ( I need something to keep me busy during these 'testing' times, will continue when I can.. )

Last edited by Dry Ice : 26th June 2010 at 15:51.
Old 26th June 2010, 16:52   #13
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Avenger is a great choice Dry Ice. I'm a big admirer of this bike. Bullets are ofcourse favourites but the Avenger also comes pretty close. Congratulations.
Old 26th June 2010, 17:38   #14
BHPian

Cogratulations on the new bike Dry Ice, I have an Avenger and have done 13000 kms in an year, it is a good one for higway rides I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old 26th June 2010, 18:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new purchase. Ride safe.

Most Viewed