Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 19:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

LML Being restored

Notice : its not the best one to restore but its one way that i link to my father.

Hi All,
I have a 1997 Model LML NV Spl.
I think this is the first time some one is posting about a LML scooter here. This Scooter was used by my dad extensively through his life time since it was bought brand new. i have had some nice times on this scooter.
The Scooter currently is in a BAD Shape. not really that bad but it has done around 75000 KM on the original Bore but still is running strong, i wish to restore the scooter and get it in a brand new conditions.
I am looking for some parts i am not sure if any one can help me with the pricing of the parts.

1: Genuine Bore Kit
2: Genuine Crank
3: Electricals so that i can fit a Battery on the Scooter.
4: Old model Speedo meter
5: Old model ear Tail light cover.
6: Front and rear Shockers.

I would really appriciate if some one can get me pricing on the same and if possible who is the OEM for all of these so that i can buy them from the OEM rather than spending money on the LML brand boxes.
Thanks a lot the progress this time would be posted with the WIP cause last time i was not able to do it on the Bullet STD to AVL engine thread.

Thanks
Desi D
Old 16th June 2010, 20:30   #2
BHPian

@desideep: We share a similar cause. My dad used a 2005 (i think) model LML NV SPL (greyish black color). I used it for college and had maintained it pretty well. Used to wash it with sunsilk shampoo and later wax it with local waxpol polish. I had removed the rear passenger spine rest coz to me, it looked ugly and out of shape. Wheel caps where there too. Had installed a breaker switch for all 4 indicators to blink together (i know its a showoff but back then, hell who cared). Funny part is i installed that switch myself and now cant remember how i did it . I should have taken pics but back then, we only had film roll cameras (kodak kb10)

Long story short - my college sweetheart is lying in dust and rust. Shabby condition actually. The original logos are coming apart and what not. I always had this tiny thought in me that someday i will restore it. Your thread just added fuel to that thought. Not sure if thats enough or not - i will be watching this thread.

Best of luck buddy

cheers
Old 16th June 2010, 21:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

LML has begun sales again in Delhi NCR and surrounding regions. Contact a dealer in Delhi. Afaik all LML bikes had the same engine and chassis. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 3rd July 2010, 13:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for all your inputs.

After many days of starting the thread i got the time to get the pricng for the parts.
These are rough prices.
1 engine 25000
2 crank 2600
3 piston kit 2100
4 Front and rear shocks non gass 800
5 Carb 480
6 other parts like bearings, packing, cluthc 1500

These are the rough prices from delhi. The scooter is in my home twon Bathinda.

Will be going to Bathiinda soon and get some pricing from there.

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 14:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have ridden both the Vespa XE as well as the Vespa LML extensively during my college days, my uncle in fact had his till just two years ago, do share some pics of the scooter !
Old 4th July 2010, 00:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

I really respect your emotions desi bhai, and I sincerely hope that this one restoration project go precisely as you want it to. All the very best.
Old 4th July 2010, 01:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Desideep, I don't intend to say negative on your work, but I feel some of the works quoted below are little expensive for which you may feel justifiable. Anyway, I'm penning down my opinion & leave the choice to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
1 engine 25000
Why 25K? What's the price for 25K? The most expensive parts should be clutch assy (you've quoted 1.5K), primary drive, cylinder (which you've quoted below for 2.1K) & 6/12V generator. What else is left out?

Quote:
3 piston kit 2100
2.1K; so what covers in this? Is there anything apart from piston, circlip & bearing that is involved?
Old 4th July 2010, 02:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey Aargee : The 25000 is if i get a new engine. cause i had plans to get a new engine if it would be around like 15000 at the max. so now at the cost of 25000 that does not seem to be a good option. 25000 was a brand new engine with bill from LML

2100 for the piston kit covers the cylinder, piston and bits and bobs.
Old 4th July 2010, 23:02   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Notice : its not the best one to restore but its one way that i link to my father.
I just wanted to stop by and say, this is a really sweet gesture, Desi D. Good luck with the restoration and I hope you bring the LML back to showroom condition one day. The scooter's really not too old and thus, restoration should be relatively simple. Riding your Dad's steed will be an experience in its own special way.

Look forward to pictures.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2010, 23:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
25000 was a brand new engine with bill from LML
I would say GO FOR IT!!! Anyway, appreciate if you can keep posted on the details of what components the engine covers. For eg, crankcasing, cylinder, cylinder head, piston assy, clutch assy, gear assy, generator everything put together or only few components? If so what are they?
Old 5th July 2010, 13:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Try Bulland Automobiles: Devli Road, Khanpur. The prices quoted are too high. Regards Vinu
Old 5th July 2010, 13:52   #12
BANNED

Considering that the spares are still available at most of the stores, the whole restoration including tinkering painting, engine work, cosmetics would cost you somewhere close to 25K, not more not less.

I had spent close to 15K 6 years ago to restore my Dad's Priya.

Best of luck on your project, do share some pics please.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I just wanted to stop by and say, this is a really sweet gesture, Desi D. Good luck with the restoration and I hope you bring the LML back to showroom condition one day. The scooter's really not too old and thus, restoration should be relatively simple. Riding your Dad's steed will be an experience in its own special way.

Look forward to pictures.
Thanks GTO and i think this is the first time you replied to a thread of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I would say GO FOR IT!!! Anyway, appreciate if you can keep posted on the details of what components the engine covers. For eg, crankcasing, cylinder, cylinder head, piston assy, clutch assy, gear assy, generator everything put together or only few components? If so what are they?
I think the engine would be a over kill. cause last time when the scooter was painted we checked on the scooter not much needed to be done on the engine part. but yes if one buys the engine he gets all on the engine side. apart from the electricals. and the other cables and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Try Bulland Automobiles: Devli Road, Khanpur. The prices quoted are too high. Regards Vinu
Thanks VIUNU. will certainly be checking into it. cause i have to get price qoute from bathinda and delhi and dthen decide where do i want to get it done from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Considering that the spares are still available at most of the stores, the whole restoration including tinkering painting, engine work, cosmetics would cost you somewhere close to 25K, not more not less.
I had spent close to 15K 6 years ago to restore my Dad's Priya.
Best of luck on your project, do share some pics please.
Thats very true KADAM sahab. it should not cost any thing more than 25 but i really suspect that it would take that much. cause what i can see according to the current qoutes i have calculated a total of around 10K that is a normal job that one does in delhi and may be a 1000 less in punjab. but i plan to get a really good paint done. so lets see.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Just talked to my mechanic in Bathinda.

The engine work with a new piston costs 2000 including the bearings, packing and the new piston and also the Labour.

Added price would be a Piston Kit that is for
1700 from LML showroom in bathinda.
450 for the Carb

1500 for the paint that would be the COBRA (i dont know what it is.) if i have to get multiple coats it would be 150 for a added coat.

so according to this the total comes out to be around 5650. i would add another 2000 to it for buffer.

so it would be under 10000.

I am sure i am a happy man here

Thanks
Old 6th July 2010, 13:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Now that's the price it should be. Best of Luck. Keep posting and pics of restoration in stages.

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed