Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 15:29   #61
gou
BHPian

One important thing which FZ, Unicorn have are mono suspensions which I think is very important. I drove FZ till 90kmph with pillion it has got good balance and almost nill vibrations. All the other bikes in this category will have vibrations at such speed.

The fuel efficiency factor which I have heard will be like Unicorn>Pulsar>FZ.

So if Unicorn gives 40 kmpl, FZ will give around 35 kmpl in similar conditions according to my understanding.

I was under a big dillema 2 weeks back. I TDed FZ, P220, Unicorn and R15 extensively and then I went for R15. Btw, if budget is not a problem R15 is brilliant machine.

Ask your brother to TD extensively in similar conditions and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Thanks for your opinion.

Apache series is out bcoz its too small for us. We all are on heavy side and are 6 foot plus.

As for Bajaj and Hassle free ownership, i have good time for 7 yrs with Bajaj Pulsar 150 dtsi. So i won't agree with your statement. It would have been used more but its for me and since i am no longer gonna use it, it will be sold.

But FZ is certainly under consideration. It is just not fuel efficient which doesn't cut ice with dad.

Let see. As of now, FZ, GS150R, P-150, Unicorn and Dazzler are in the list. Lets hope i am able to add or remove some from this.

Quote:
Hello All,

Since we have delayed our car buying till Diwali, my bro is planning to buy a 150cc bike to replace his aging splendor. . What are the options available in the market?

Priorities are:

Fuel Efficient, Less maintenance, comfortable ride, powerful enough to pull two adults.

Bottom line: Hassle free ownership for 5-7 yrs.

Top of the mind options I have are:

Pulsar 150, Unicorn, Suzuki's 150 (Don't know model name), Discover 150. FZ. Any other i should consider?

Would appreciate your help.

Thank You.

P.S: We already own a 2003 p150 dtsi. It will be sold by dec 2010.
Old 28th June 2010, 20:59   #62
BHPian

Please have a look at Suzuki GS 150R. I own one for the past 3 months, its absolute bliss, ride is smooth, mileage is around 50- 55 if you drive decently around 60. The sitting posture in this bike is best suited, i never had to lean forward or backward. I previously owned a pulsar 150 2003 model, sold it this year only. This bike is definitely giving me the best value for money.
Old 29th June 2010, 09:11   #63
BHPian

The only fuss free motorcycle two years back was Unicorn. But now, Suzuki GS 150R is a better bet.

It has got all plus some more gizmos like Digital Speedos, 6 Speed gear box..etc..compared with Unicorn, and in looks department too..it is not as plain as Unicorn.

The dazzler is OK but not a family vehicle considering lack of saree guard, ladies' foot rest and higher pillion.

GS 150R in my opinion.
Old 29th June 2010, 15:01   #64
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post

The only fuss free motorcycle two years back was Unicorn. But now, Suzuki GS 150R is a better bet.

It has got all plus some more gizmos like Digital Speedos, 6 Speed gear box..etc..compared with Unicorn, and in looks department too..it is not as plain as Unicorn.

The dazzler is OK but not a family vehicle considering lack of saree guard, ladies' foot rest and higher pillion.

GS 150R in my opinion.
I don't know why everybody just ignores mono-suspensions in Unicorn and FZ? In Indian road conditions I think mono-suspensions make more sense. The suspension travel is less than tyre travel in mono unlike dual suspensions, where both move equally.

I have not driven GS150, does it have mono-suspensions? If not, then Unicorn or FZ is better bet, depending on whether fuel economy or acceleration is higher priority.
Old 29th June 2010, 23:35   #65
BHPian

gou, mono suspension is not best suited for all indian roads, i have read this over in many forums before deciding my bike. Mileage and acceleration in GS150 is better than that of unicorn. This has been proved in many road tests and xbhp forums.
Old 30th June 2010, 13:54   #66
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulRahmanM View Post
gou, mono suspension is not best suited for all indian roads, i have read this over in many forums before deciding my bike. Mileage and acceleration in GS150 is better than that of unicorn. This has been proved in many road tests and xbhp forums.
I don't think what you are mentioning is correct. I have read a very good article on different setups for rear suspension and mono is a newer and better technology than dual. It also mentioned how the wheel travel and other things are affected. For minimizing the impact of pothole or hump it is important rear wheel to travel more than the rest of the body and this is easier in monoshock.

Presently I am unable to find that article. I shall post that article once I find it. Right now I have taken some information from wikipedia:
Suspension (motorcycle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Few excerpts from wikipedia:
Twin shocks

Twinshock refers to motorcycles that have two shock absorbers. Generally, this term is used to denote a particular era of motorcycles, and is most frequently used when describing off-road motorcycles.
However, by the end of this period, a design consisting of using only one shock absorber (instead of two) was universally accepted and used
Mono-shock

On a motorcycle with a mono-shock rear suspension, there is only one shock that connects the rear swingarm to the motorcycle's frame. Typically this lone shock is in front of the rear wheel, and uses a linkage to connect to the swingarm.
Mono-shocks eliminate torque to the swingarm and provide more consistent handling and braking. They are also easier to adjust, since there's only one shock to adjust, and there is no worry about matching two shocks. Also, the linkages used to connect the shock to the swing-arm are frequently designed to give a rising rate of damping for the rear

----

Please note: I do not wish to offend anyone. Just want to point the person to more informed decision.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:31   #67
BHPian

Just checked this thread heres my take on the options:

Pulsar: Proven style,nice FE,More appealing to youngsters,A.S.S. not as good as a Hero honda,really not very comfortable,especially for your case i guess,good resale value

Unicorn:Nice sturdy body,low vibrations,actually more comfortable(my friend has one),honda brand= quality i guess,nice FE,great suspension,low resale value

TVS Apache:good sporty feel and looks, best handling bike in 150 category,proven TVS servicing,nice pick up,nice FE, an ok resale not as good as pulsar,smaller in size

GS 150: Ok looks, nice FE, A.S.S. not as good as others above& less service centers,no good resale value,good on comfort.
Old 1st July 2010, 17:16   #68
Senior - BHPian

Go & buy Pulsar 180. I am using it for last 3 years now. Its cool till date. Its a very balanced bike with better mileage & performance. I get around 45 kmpl consistently. On highways it goes till 50 -52. New P180 also looks very cool.

Till date i have hardly spend 500 rs on repairs apart from regular servicing. I have done almost 20 K running till date. DOnt think much & go for it. You will surely love it
Old 1st July 2010, 17:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its decided.

The Pulsar 220 DTS-I it is. Its gonna be 220 S. The street fighter version.

We would be buying it in first week of july. After we sell Pulsar 150 dtsi.

Thank you all for your opinion and help. Will keep you all updated about how things go.

Appreciate it.
Guys, the thread starter has already decided on his ride !
Old 11th July 2010, 12:08   #70
Senior - BHPian

guys, can the owners of unicorn, GSR and new pulsar 150 share their real time FE figures please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks