Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2013, 15:12   #16
BHPian

Re: My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
I have recently picked up a second hand RX-100. Cosmetically, she needs a lot of work, mechanically, she runs just fine.
Gentlemen,

After 2 long years, the bike is going for a cosmetic makeover. I've had an engine seizure last year and I had replaced the block-piston set with O.E Yamaha kit. There's nothing much to sort out mechanically except for replacing the oil lube pump assembly, replacing the cables, gaskets etc.

As a safety measure, I am replacing the entire wiring harness with O.E Yamaha wiring kit. The entire bike will be stripped, primed and painted. The chrome and metal fittings will be rebuffed & plated.

Here are a couple of pictures. Apologies for the poor phone cam quality.

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0223.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0224.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0225.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0226.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0227.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0228.jpg

Here's the list of spares which I'll be buying today. Will put up the cost breakup and pics post acquisition.

1. Headlight set
2. Side indicators - all 4
3. Side panel covers - both sides
4. Front and rear mudguards
5. Front and rear rims + spokes
6. Handlebar grips
7. Oil lube pump + oil level indicator + oil tank
8. Headlight + indicators fitting assembly (not sure what its called. Its that ear like thing on which headlight dome is fitted)
9. Speedometer console + warning lights console panel - assembly
10. Side Stand
11. Back foot rest + rubber
12. Monogram kit + Stickets (tank and side panel ) Full set
13. Front shock absorbers - Oil seal + Oil
14. Number plate - Front and Rear + rear number plate bracket
15. Accelerator, Brake, Clutch & Speedometer cables
16. Clutch & Brake lever + Clutch lever yoke
17. Tail lamp assembly
18. Wiring harness - complete set
19. Original mirrors
20. Wheel bearings - all 4
21. Speedometer gear

Your suggestions and advice is required. Let them pour in.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 20th April 2013 at 15:20.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,

After 2 long years, the bike is going for a cosmetic makeover. I've had an engine seizure last year and I had replaced the block-piston set with O.E Yamaha kit. There's nothing much to sort out mechanically except for replacing the oil lube pump assembly, replacing the cables, gaskets etc.

Your suggestions and advice is required. Let them pour in.
Sabreesh no offense that Yam definitely needs some TLC man . Let me try and help wherever possible, been busy restoring my 135 5speed.

Quote:
1. Headlight set
2. Side indicators - all 4
3. Side panel covers - both sides
4. Front and rear mudguards
These should be easily available and from what I know the stock/original indicators are a tad bit difficult to come by and if you find it then they charge a bomb. A good alternative for the indicator should be the shogun indicators.

Quote:
5. Front and rear rims + spokes
If you have the money to spend, I would say go for a disc brake kit and the gladiators disc kit assembly with the forks is a direct fit.

Quote:
8. Headlight + indicators fitting assembly (not sure what its called. Its that ear like thing on which headlight dome is fitted)
I think you are referring to the Stem Plates and they are quite difficult to come buy unless someone around where you live stocks Yam parts. Ensure you buy the stem bolt with the washers,the handle bar mounts and both upper and lower plates. You gotto specifically ask for these parts since most spares dealers only give you what you ask for.

Quote:
9. Speedometer console + warning lights console panel - assembly
You could use the CRUX meter console or the original RX 135 meter console from the 2003/2004 models. See attached images

CRUX Meter Console
My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-imag0202-medium.jpg

RX 135 post 2003/2004 models original meter
My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-imag0242-medium.jpg

There is a catch for this install. In case you go for any of these meters ensure you pick up the stem plates from a RX135 5-speed 2003/2004 model. The older plates these cant be mounted.

Quote:
13. Front shock absorbers - Oil seal + Oil
I would say get the disc brakes kit with the fork set. Should cost you 8200 bucks.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:30   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my BIL's rx135 which was restored an year back. The physical condition was really bad but the end result was worth every penny spent.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...135-tiger.html
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:54   #19
BHPian

Hi everyone,

It was a Saturday well spent, have picked up some O.E spares for Yamaha. Feast your eyes.

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0229.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0232.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0233.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0234.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0235.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0236.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0237.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0238.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0239.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0240.jpg

Things pending to be purchased :-

1. Auto lube pump
2. Oil indicator

For the benefit of everyone, I am uploading the scans of the bill for spares.
My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-20130423_141128_506.jpg
My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-20130423_141233_333.jpg
My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-20130423_141436_786.jpg
My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-20130423_141535_042.jpg
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sabareesh

All the best for your RX100 restoration! The parts pile does look good. Hope you are going to stick with the stock looks of the bike. Do post here if you are finding it hard to source any OE parts and may be some of us can help out.

Regards
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
no offense that Yam definitely needs some TLC man
Yeah, its been pending for quite sometime now. I have been accumulating Vitamin M for this restoration. I knew I had to do a ground up thing. The documents were pending too. Transfer of ownership + passing + Green tax + insurance itself is costing me some 5 k

Quote:
from what I know the stock/original indicators are a tad bit difficult to come by and if you find it then they charge a bomb

If you have the money to spend, I would say go for a disc brake kit and the gladiators disc kit assembly with the forks is a direct fit.
I got the stock indicators off the shelf from an authorized retailer. Yes, he did charge me a bomb for it. Now that I am broke, I cannot spend more for getting a disc brake setup at this stage. Maybe, I will get one after a couple of months. It would be great help if you can give me an indicative list of the parts which need to be changed and the cost.

Quote:
I think you are referring to the Stem Plates and they are quite difficult to come buy unless someone around where you live stocks Yam parts.
Bingo! that's what I meant. I got the original stem plates from this authorized retailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello Sabareesh

All the best for your RX100 restoration! The parts pile does look good. Hope you are going to stick with the stock looks of the bike. Do post here if you are finding it hard to source any OE parts and may be some of us can help out.

Regards
Thanks for your support Viju, I need it. Yes, I will be retaining the stock look. As of now, I am unable to find the Auto lube pump, the oil indicator & the stickering on Side panels and tank. The stickers which I could find were of RX 135

P.S - Many people have advised me not to buy the Auto lube pump and continue to mix 2T oil with Petrol as I am doing now. I have heard that the pump is prone to failure. Would need suggestions from fellow RX owners on this.
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your support Viju, I need it. Yes, I will be retaining the stock look. As of now, I am unable to find the Auto lube pump, the oil indicator & the stickering on Side panels and tank. The stickers which I could find were of RX 135

P.S - Many people have advised me not to buy the Auto lube pump and continue to mix 2T oil with Petrol as I am doing now. I have heard that the pump is prone to failure. Would need suggestions from fellow RX owners on this.
Hello Sabareesh

(1) Please do not go for RX135 stickers as it will rob your RX100 of its identity. I hope you have not torn off the original stickers on your tank and side covers. If you cannot find a stickering guy who can cut you the original design on your tank, get the simple golden lines on the tank as in the older RX100s. But request you not to go with the RX135 stickers.

(2) New Autolube pump from Yamaha spares guy will be hard to find. I suggest you find a good used one and refurbish it. It is not as unreliable as you have been told. I have been running my RX135 and RD350 on Autolube till now (touchwood!).

(3) OE indicators etc. should not cost you more than MRP. Strange that people have started over-charging on those also.

(4) What do you mean by oil indicator? Is it the needle or the 2T glass which you need? For pictures, you can refer to my RX135 thread post #1.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...aha-rx135.html

Just one suggestion from my side. Even if you have to wait out a bit (due to parts availability / Vitamin M situation), do the restoration the right way. You will be a happy man in the long term.

Regards

Last edited by Viju : 23rd April 2013 at 16:11. Reason: Add info.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 14:01   #23
BHPian

hi guys, the bike is in the garage and is being stripped down as I type. I'll visit the garage by evening and click some pics. Will keep you updated.

P.S- Viju, I am talking about the needle in the oil tank with E & F markings. I am unable to source it. Will visit a couple of more Yamaha spare part guys and check. I'll also get a status update of the current oil pump from my mechanic.
Old 29th April 2013, 15:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
the bike is in the garage and is being stripped down as I type. I'll visit the garage by evening and click some pics.
Time for an update with pics

The bike has been stripped completely. The chassis will be sent for sandblasting today. Lots of rust to be cleared up. My mechanic told me that the chassis needs some welding post which it will be primed and painted. Please excuse the mobile phone quality pics.

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0245.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0246.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc_0247.jpg

Last edited by Sabareesh : 29th April 2013 at 15:07.
Old 29th April 2013, 15:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S- Viju, I am talking about the needle in the oil tank with E & F markings. I am unable to source it. Will visit a couple of more Yamaha spare part guys and check. I'll also get a status update of the current oil pump from my mechanic.
Hello Sabareesh

I have the 2T oil gauge on my bike (got it fitted extra soon after taking delivery in 2005). If I remember right, I do have a spare one back at home in Cochin.

If you are unable to source one even at the end of your restoration, I will dig it out for you whenever I make a trip to Cochin. You can have it.

The frame does look a lot rusty. Make sure your mechanic cleans it up well and check for trueness before giving it for painting.

Cheers!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 17:07   #26
BHPian

All the best Sabreesh! Guess you have a long way to go. If one can get hold of a pre 88/89 RX nothing like it. Your RX reminds me of a particular RX owned by a friend of mine in the 90s. I have never done more "help me" rescue me for that bike that anything with wheels in my entire life ( till date.. Not quite dead yet!).

the legendary and true RX100 stopped in 88/89. That was the last batch. There was a major dip in quality after that. But anyways an RX is an RX!
Old 29th April 2013, 18:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:

If you are unable to source one even at the end of your restoration, I will dig it out for you whenever I make a trip to Cochin. You can have it.
Thanks a lot Viju. I owe you a treat whenever you are at Mumbai or I am at Bangalore. Will let you know if I am unable to fetch this part locally.

Quote:
The frame does look a lot rusty. Make sure your mechanic cleans it up well and check for trueness before giving it for painting.
The chassis should be back to garage by evening today after sand blasting. To be on the safer side, I have also told the painter to scrape it down properly and start painting only after I see the bare chassis.

One quick question, how do I check the trueness of the chassis? I remember my mechanic telling me the same thing yesterday but he also mentioned that the chassis apart from rust treatment & welding on a few points doesn't need anything else.

Is there a way to check whether the chassis is correct in terms of geometry. I don't want my bike to behave like a man high on booze after spending so much money. Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
If one can get hold of a pre 88/89 RX nothing like it. the legendary and true RX100 stopped in 88/89. That was the last batch. There was a major dip in quality after that. But anyways an RX is an RX!
There is one 88 batch RX which I am eyeing. The bike is sinking in ground day by day & is currently enjoying company of grass and weeds which are growing left right and center. Its a perfect candidate for Rest in peace - disintegrating vintage & classic - category

The bike has been abandoned by my brother-in-law and I have an open invitation to take it free of cost. The problem is double fold though. Papers, passing, registration, green tax etc need to be updated which itself would cost me at least 6-7k.

Last but most importantly, my wife has politely threatened me not to buy any other bike after seeing the amount being pumped for my current bike's resto. If at all I pick up my BIL's RX, I have to get used to washing dishes, sleeping on couch etc

But I will not be defeated, the pestering to pick up my BIL's RX continues
Old 29th April 2013, 20:03   #28
BHPian

bro, where is this work being carried out, seems like a knownplace
Old 29th April 2013, 21:01   #29
BHPian

I have the Service Manual Scan for RX100 but due to its 24 MB size I am unable upload in the thread. I'd say this is a must have piece of document for all RX100 owners and restorers.

Let me know if you can figure some place where I can upload it.
Old 29th April 2013, 23:12   #30
BHPian

Whoo! Rx in the company of Grass and weeds? what kind of weeds? Thats one smoking RX!

What i really meant was if you can get hold of a 88/89 RX of some bloke who has no idea as to what that bike is worth. Papers should not cost more than 3k. green tax is 300 bucks. 3rd party insurance at the most is 1k.

wait a min.. NO RC?

If free pick it up. and keep it a hush hush.. ( a smiley goes here.. your choice! ) Like I said a RX is a RX when was the last time someone peeked at your chassis and engine no and crossed checked with a book? Helping you with a good nights rest!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks