Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Need help buying Karizma vs ACTIVA

HI friends,

I got a budget of 35k, I recently came across a 2005 Karizma, Yellow colour, done 42k kms, its disc is worn out, side panels needs to be replaced, tyres are ok, the fork is bent which is common kind of stuff i need to get is replaced, the bike runs fine, is it worth buying.(I would be third owner)

I also saw an Activa done 26k kms 2008 model, black colour, new tyres, single owned. its for 37k, I am really confused friends please help Im in hurry as I need to use it atleast to ride 20kms everyday.

Please help I am also seeing how is the resale after six months as i tend to go aboard.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

How much is the Karizma for?

I think an Activa should be easy to sell.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:22   #3
BHPian

Hey monster2, considering your requirements, I suggest you go for the Activa. It would be a better option than buying the Karizma and it would cost you a considerable amount of cash to repair it. Go for the Activa if it is in good condition.
Old 18th June 2010, 22:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

My advice would be to pass the Karizma. Its got a lot of work to be done and money to be spent. judging by your description it hasn't been cared for.

For 35K, you could get an Apache RTR. These depreciate a lot relative to any Hondas and Bajaj.
Old 18th June 2010, 22:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

They are like chalk and cheese.
The Karizma is more of a highway bike. Beautiful and lovely lines. Lean into a turn and enjoy the curves as it hugs the highway.

The Activa is good for shopping errands, going to office and such things.

From your initial post it appears you need a daily runner.
Old 18th June 2010, 22:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since you need it only for about 6 months, your best bet is the Activa for 37k. Negotiate a bit and get it down to 33-35k and 6 months down the line you can resell it for about 32k easily.

Karizma on the other hand would be very hard to sell for a good price.
Old 18th June 2010, 22:36   #7
BHPian

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
HI friends,

the fork is bent which is common kind of stuff i need to get is replaced, the bike runs fine, is it worth buying.(I would be third owner)

NO. Why did they bend in the first place??

I also saw an Activa done 26k kms 2008 model, black colour, new tyres, single owned. its for 37k, I am really confused friends please help Im in hurry as I need to use it atleast to ride 20kms everyday.

Please help I am also seeing how is the resale after six months as i tend to go aboard.

If you can compare a Karisma and an Activa as choices, I suppose it just matters as a pair of wheels. Go for the one that has least owners, least damage. Activas demand a pretty good resale price in Hyderabad.

Hope it helps!
Old 19th June 2010, 10:47   #8
BHPian

Looking at the list of vehicles you currently own, you dont have to purchase anything more. You have the CBR 600 for ripping and a Shogun ( assuming its in reasonable condition) for daily commute and four wheelers for other things.

There will be no big savings in terms of fuel in either choices over the shogun . Since you must have to sell it after 6 months , you might loose upto 5- 10 K on the Activa and substantially more on ZMA. You can spend this 10- 15 k you stand to loose on getting the Shogun ready if its not roadworthy.

As they say in Bangalore, 'Solpa Adjust madi' and you can do away with this drainful purchase.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Both are in different category - one is a bike and another is gearless scooter?.
And if you go for Karizma, you still need to put more money for repairs etc.And also you become third owner and so feel bit difficult to sell her again in the market.
Activa still has good value in the market so better option will be this one.

AS GreemachinE, suggested why you need one more two wheeler when your list of vehicles own already have 2 two wheelers?

Last edited by nairrk : 19th June 2010 at 11:24. Reason: correction
Old 19th June 2010, 11:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Activa. The cost of setting up the Zma would leave a hole in your pocket. And reselling also would be difficult.
Old 19th June 2010, 13:53   #11
BHPian

Pick up the activa and not the zma. in all probabilities the zma will require engine work within the next 6-8k kms and when you have to sell if after a while, you wont be able to recover the money. Used activa's have a big market and it'll be relatively easier to sell it. Not to mention it has run less than the zma!
When things start popping in the zma, your finances take a BIG hit. I had 2 zma's in the past which i used for touring. Ive had first hand experience with the costs involved in fixing the bike's internals!

Cheers!
Old 19th June 2010, 14:11   #12
BHPian

if the fork is bent the bike must have crashed. so it could also have a damaged chassis. i would stay away from this zma.
Old 19th June 2010, 23:04   #13
BHPian

Get the activa.
Its a 2008 model meaning less maintainence wen compared to the zma.
First owner, since you are using it for 6 months you wont even need to transfer it on your name. So on paper it still remains a Single owner vehicle when u want to sell it off.
My only query If the bike has done only 26k kms how come the tyres have been replaced, 26k kms sounds to less for a tyre replacement.

As for the zma its been 5 years and 2 owners you may just end up with someone else's discarded lemon
Old 20th June 2010, 08:11   #14
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot for so many replies, I did understand one thing I should buy an Activa rather than going with Karizma, AS I saw a Karizma yesterday in koti done only 13k genuine, trust me it was beautiful bike for 44k, but then when i asked the dealer why the prices are so low for ZMA, he said no one prefer to buy these bikes now, any day an activa of 08 model was not less than 40k there, So I got excited went with cash to buy that Activa, but I beleive the owner needs to use it for a week then he said he would sell as he need to move to get his stuff packed leaving the city, But then I was in two minds as a scooter I feel is it worth investing on second hand 35K+ I thought i better wait and go for lower year like 05 or 06 and get a decent deal around 26K.

@Green Machine: I just sold my Shogun 2 weeks ago it was beautiful machine done 16k, but the spares was tough thing and I thought when im leaving city it wouldnt be easy for me to sell it, So i ended up selling now. Selling reason younger bro very naughty cant trust him on a two stroke

Most Viewed