Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 22:45   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Strike affects battery supplies to motorcycle manufacturers!

Was reading about the recent strike and work slowdown in early May 2010 at Exide's Haryana plant. The output of HH was severely affected then and later for sometime they sold scooters and bikes without batteries. HMSL (Honda) had said that it will import batteries from China to make up for the shortfall.China, Oh No!
Guess what will happen to some two wheelers at a later date have only the self starter and no kick start?
The fallout of this strike is still being felt. Honda Activa batteries of reputed makes like Amaron and Exide are in short supply in the market.Neither the Exide nor the Amaron dealers (one of the largest dealer's) in my city had stock of the battery for the Honda Activa.They attribute this shortage to all the replacement market batteries being demanded by HMSL who had a harrowing time recently selling scooters without batteries when there was a strike in the Exide plant in Haryana. A particular dealer told me he had two Amco batteries left with him. I would not go for Amco or something like that and am prepared to wait till I at least get a good brand.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st June 2010 at 22:48.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Ultimately got a new Amaron battery fitted to my Honda Activa yesterday. The dealer was also crying hoarse over the delays and shortage of batteries in the replacement market.The Exide plant (Haryana) is again closed down for maintenance.
All batteries are going to the OE pool as thats more important for suppliers.
Despite all these shortages of Amaron and Exide makes Amco and one brand Addo (earlier thought it was Addon the horn maker's brand but no its Addo) are plentifully available in the replacement market.However I was not tempted to go for these but wait and wait. My patience has been hopefully rewarded now.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

I need a 12V battery for my RX & I hear this new now!!! All these days I was lazily hanging around & I hear this news now!!! Let me try visiting the Amaron pit stop near my house Monday morning to stock one as well as get some news.
Old 4th July 2010, 17:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I need a 12V battery for my RX & I hear this new now!!! All these days I was lazily hanging around & I hear this news now!!! Let me try visiting the Amaron pit stop near my house Monday morning to stock one as well as get some news.
Chennai is a large metro where at least some dealer will be having a few batteries in stock.Do tell us about the situation there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks