Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 16:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Yeah. One may save around 100-150 bucks by going for R1060 instead of RC1060. Same size, only difference is that RC has chrome finish whereas R has normal plastic surround. Plus RC comes pre-oiled. R1060 comes has to be oiled manually ( Oil is included in the package). Not a difference really.

Regards.
Yatharth,he had questioned the price mentioned by Agbenny as 600 bucks for a K&N.
I got RC-1060 6 years ago for 1850,not sure about prices now.
R-1100 is another option.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Yatharth,he had questioned the price mentioned by Agbenny as 600 bucks for a K&N.
Yeah, I mentioned about R1060 just because saving 3 litres fuel worth money isn't a bad option.

Quote:
I got RC-1060 6 years ago for 1850,not sure about prices now.
R-1100 is another option.
R1100 is for 2150. RC1060 is still for 1850 (unless that guy at mohali is willing to give you a 2% student discount ).

Isn't R1100 more suitable for TB than RC1060?

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 30th June 2010 at 16:42.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Yeah, I just mentioned about R1060 because saving 3 litres fuel worth money isn't a bad option.

R1100 is for 2150. RC1060 is still for 1850 (unless that guy at mohali is willing to give ua 2% student discount ).

Isn't R1100 more suitable for TB than RC1060?
it still runs a 29mm carb,so i dont think it will need R-1100,unless it is running on really large jets.
I once tried a 250 Jet on my ZMA,and it failed to move even
Old 30th June 2010, 18:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, K&N is around Rs.1750, its out of stock in Coimbatore (asked at few shops) I will keep the amount posted as soon as I buy.
Also, I found a guy who said he will do the carb jetting. You guys really enlightened me.

Now, I am searching for the Short Bent sliener which comes with CL500.
Old 1st July 2010, 17:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
1. Rear Tyre: I would like to go for a wider Tyre - like the one in Classic 500. What do you suggest? Should I change the RIM?

6. Bulbs - Light is certainly not sufficient. Any headlight bulb recommendations?
Rear Tyre: Why would you want to change the rim? You can get a wider tyre in the rear. Maybe need to change the swingarm. (I said Change - not modify - any modification will weaken the swing arm - not recommended)

Bulb: You can upgrade to a Phillips Rally sports 130/100 or a 100/90 bulb halogen yellow bulb. You will need to Add a 2 relays for the same (car ones - one for upper and one for dipper.). My 2007 TB is sporting one for about an year and half and no issues (from the cops). I have ridden at 90kmph in the night on a highway due to this(not advisable). Please also make sure to add fuses if the connection is made directly for the case the relay goes bad. Or else the battery drain very quickly. Also, make sure your Battery is 12V and 14 amp for this. You will need to change the seal beam for this. Make sure that you get the seal beam for which the car bulbs are available easily.

Last edited by no_sweat : 1st July 2010 at 17:16.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sweat View Post
Rear Tyre: Why would you want to change the rim? You can get a wider tyre in the rear. Maybe need to change the swingarm. (I said Change - not modify - any modification will weaken the swing arm - not recommended)

Bulb: You can upgrade to a Phillips Rally sports 130/100 or a 100/90 bulb halogen yellow bulb. You will need to Add a 2 relays for the same (car ones - one for upper and one for dipper.). My 2007 TB is sporting one for about an year and half and no issues (from the cops). I have ridden at 90kmph in the night on a highway due to this(not advisable). Please also make sure to add fuses if the connection is made directly for the case the relay goes bad. Or else the battery drain very quickly. Also, make sure your Battery is 12V and 14 amp for this. You will need to change the seal beam for this. Make sure that you get the seal beam for which the car bulbs are available easily.
My cousin, who own a CL500 was mocking me that TBTS Looks like polio attacked from its back view. After his comments everytime when I look at it I feel the same. The Tyre looks ugly as its so slim for the big of its size.
Anyhow, broader zapper tyres are not avalilable anywhere, looks like MRF is not supplying now to its dealers other than RE (Size 110/90-19). So I've postponed my plans.

Thanks for sharing the info on Bulbs and relays. Its very valuable. I will be doing it this weekend, and i will go by your advice with Phillips Rally sports 130/100 or a 100/90 bulb halogen yellow bulb.
Old 7th July 2010, 13:42   #22
BHPian

Silencer: Check with Alagendra Automobiles on the Cross Cut Road. Other option is Palaniappa (or similar sounding) Spare Parts opp. to Alagendra. I use to be a regular customer to these shops till 2000 but since then I moved out of Coimbatore. I assume these two shops are still around.

Happy Thumping.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My cousin, who own a CL500 was mocking me that TBTS Looks like polio attacked from its back view. After his comments everytime when I look at it I feel the same. The Tyre looks ugly as its so slim for the big of its size.
Anyhow, broader zapper tyres are not avalilable anywhere, looks like MRF is not supplying now to its dealers other than RE (Size 110/90-19). So I've postponed my plans.

The correct size as on the Classic Twins is 11/90-18 (the rim is smaller & wider). Even I am trying to get the same for my bro's TBTS.

Thanks for sharing the info on Bulbs and relays. Its very valuable. I will be doing it this weekend, and i will go by your advice with Phillips Rally sports 130/100 or a 100/90 bulb halogen yellow bulb.
I think you can go for the MRF Moto-D 100/90-18" with a change of the rim as well. The Moto looks wider & will actually look good with loads of grip.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
epicenter.rulez,

Thanks for these valuable feedback, especially on the oil! I do not know that I can't revert.
I will surely go with your advice on the bulbs. I will be changing it this weekend.
BTW, I do not understand the point " but your carb will need upjetting." Could you pls explain further? Thanks a ton again.
You can also try Motul v300 15w50 oil..it is about 850/ltr and exceeds the specifications laid by RE for your bike (JASO MA). Mobil 5W50 I will not be suitable for the RE engine. Just check and if you are already using it let us know your feedback to others out here. Petronas oil is also one of the best oils available here now..They too have synthetic grade for around 800 a ltr i guess..just check out..

About the headlight, try out philips extreme power 60/55W halogen bulbs. These are H4 and I guess TBTS also has the same bulb holder. These might require a relay to be used. These are not white and tend to be a bit whiter as compared to the standard yellow halogens..The throw is better then stocks. You can also try philips 4300K halogens cost around 450 bucks each but give out a white light these are also 60/55 W. I think 100/90W or 120/100W will damage your reflectors and drain your battery pretty soon du to excessive heat. also you would be required to change the wiring and ceramic holder for 100/90 W whereas you can use the same stock wiring for 60/55W buld since TBTS and Classic wiring is same and classics already have 60/55 W stock fitment.

I have seen and heard TBTS on a indore or short bottle silencer and it sounds pretty neat..The thump is nicely audible and not loud..although this might depend on the quality of material used for the silencer. A big mud flap also increases the sound and they are custom designed as per your bike with a mismatched hole for the air to crack from the silencer..But not all people would like it..your choice..

Regards,
Rahul
Old 23rd July 2010, 21:49   #25
BHPian

Bumping into this thread
any updates on this front.
My TBTS has been hibernating due to monsoons and i wish to start the riding by doing a few mods by september, your update is going to help me a lot thanks!!!
cheers!
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:35   #26
BHPian

Re: Modifications - Royal Enfield Thunderbird TwinSpark

Quote:
2. Silencer - Want to change it to bend silencer as in Classic 500. Is that possible, and anyone has done it.
Benny, did you manage to have the exhaust changed to the up-swept one from the classics on your thunderbird ? If yes, some pictures of your bike will be nice. Do update us on how the bike is performing.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Benny, did you manage to have the exhaust changed to the up-swept one from the classics on your thunderbird ? If yes, some pictures of your bike will be nice. Do update us on how the bike is performing.
No, Guys in A.S.S said it doesn't make much difference, so I settled with a glass wool silencer (Short neck), But I am still eyeing on a Goldie, which I would do this June. I will update you.
Old 26th January 2013, 17:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
No, Guys in A.S.S said it doesn't make much difference, so I settled with a glass wool silencer (Short neck), But I am still eyeing on a Goldie, which I would do this June. I will update you.
hi, did you get the goldie? how is the short bottle? and what about the rear tyres? where did you get the short bottle in coimbatore?
Old 28th January 2013, 19:28   #29
BHPian

Didn't want to start a new thread so bumping this one up. What is the easiest way to replace the rear stock tyre on a thunderbird with a wider one? I don't have any knowledge of changing rims and swing arms. Please share details if you recommend those changes.

Also, the rear tyre needs to be replaced as it has worn out after 21K KMs. Is it necessary to change the front tyre even though it is in decent condition?
Old 29th January 2013, 14:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread so bumping this one up. What is the easiest way to replace the rear stock tyre on a thunderbird with a wider one? I don't have any knowledge of changing rims and swing arms. Please share details if you recommend those changes.

Also, the rear tyre needs to be replaced as it has worn out after 21K KMs. Is it necessary to change the front tyre even though it is in decent condition?
You can easily upgrade the rear tyre to 120/80-19" (available in Pirellis, I guess) or the 120/80(or90)-18" in MRF. This won't require a change in swing arm, but, for anything above this you will need to change the swing arm. However, this (new swing) need not be as good for the high speed stability IMO & you will have the Shakira experience more often as you would pick up speeds.

But, the OEM Dunlops giving way around 21k is not as good.., the ones on my brother's '10 RETB have crossed 28k & yet to show signs of loss of grip even when I ride hard (I try climbing up the cloverleaf flyovers at 60 kmph+ on the bike, courtesy my P150 which has spoiled my riding behaviour so some extent).

Also, you need not go for change of front tyre unless you feel substantial loss of grips.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks