Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 21:34   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP

You can easily upgrade the rear tyre to 120/80-19" (available in Pirellis, I guess) or the 120/80(or90)-18" in MRF. This won't require a change in swing arm, but, for anything above this you will need to change the swing arm. However, this (new swing) need not be as good for the high speed stability IMO & you will have the Shakira experience more often as you would pick up speeds.

But, the OEM Dunlops giving way around 21k is not as good.., the ones on my brother's '10 RETB have crossed 28k & yet to show signs of loss of grip even when I ride hard (I try climbing up the cloverleaf flyovers at 60 kmph+ on the bike, courtesy my P150 which has spoiled my riding behaviour so some extent).

Also, you need not go for change of front tyre unless you feel substantial loss of grips.
Thanks Bro.
So I can get the Pirelli 120/80-19" fitted without any changes to anything? Are these bigger/wider than the stock tyres on the bike?
Old 30th January 2013, 12:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Modifications - Royal Enfield Thunderbird TwinSpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Thanks Bro.
So I can get the Pirelli 120/80-19" fitted without any changes to anything? Are these bigger/wider than the stock tyres on the bike?
These are wider, but confirmed from my trusted mechanic that won't cause any problem with the swing arm, etc.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 02:36   #33
BHPian

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Performance Upgrades

Dear Fellow TBHPians,

I own a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. I bought it when it was launched in 2012. I have not ridden it much. However i now intend to ride it extensively and intend to perform following mods too:

1. NGX Iridium plugs?
2. K & N performance air filter
3. Switch to Synthetic oil from mineral oil -- though ASC has been advising against it. Is it true that Synthetic oil will have an adverse effect on UCE engine or is it because Synthetic oil life is more and will result in less number of trips to service center and this is the reason for ASC advising against synthetic oil?
4. I intend to install a free flow exhaust too. Is it advisable on an EFI based 500 cc thunderbird? Will it have an adverse impact on the engine?

Your valuable suggestions/advice/inputs are welcome.

Thanks
U Kalia
Old 3rd February 2015, 11:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Performance Upgrades

you can go in for a RD power box. that coupled with K&N and a wild boar exhaust should bump power and torque significantly. Mod mobike008 had it on his 500 classic. Pls check his thread.
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukalia View Post
Dear Fellow TBHPians,

I own a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. I bought it when it was launched in 2012. I have not ridden it much. However i now intend to ride it extensively and intend to perform following mods too:

1. NGX Iridium plugs?
2. K & N performance air filter
3. Switch to Synthetic oil from mineral oil -- though ASC has been advising against it. Is it true that Synthetic oil will have an adverse effect on UCE engine or is it because Synthetic oil life is more and will result in less number of trips to service center and this is the reason for ASC advising against synthetic oil?
4. I intend to install a free flow exhaust too. Is it advisable on an EFI based 500 cc thunderbird? Will it have an adverse impact on the engine?

Your valuable suggestions/advice/inputs are welcome.

Thanks
U Kalia
I own a 2011 RE Classic 500. Had purchased it when it was launched and have been doing performance upgrades gradually over the years. Here's the order in which I did them (a few months gap between each):

1)NGK Iridium Spark Plugs. Didn't make any meaningful difference. Mostly for my mental peace

2)K&N Performance Filter: This made a perceivable difference. Those days I was riding in Bangalore and I could feel the difference in trips I made to Nandi Hills pre and post installation of this filter. When you do this, take additional steps to seal the filter box lining to keep the Delhi dust away. Dust can kill an engine's inners. I went for 3M anti rust coating and some additional sealing rubber at the hinges at this stage.

3) A free flow exhaust - this also made a subtle difference although I had to change a couple of exhausts before I got the required results. IMO, in Delhi it also had the added benefit of a 'constantly switched on horn', because people otherwise are stingy in giving way to bikes or will suddenly intrude into your path without signalling or looking at the traffic behind.

4) If your warranty services are over and your bike has run in at least 3k KMs, feel free to use a good quality synthetic oil. ASC use a semi-synthetic blend anyway. In the initial period, synthetic is not recommended as it is flushed out frequently during the services anyway and mineral oil is better in protecting the engine from the initial bits and pieces of microscopic metal shreds. There was a proper explanation to this in my Alfa Romeo twin spark User manual. Will post it later if I can locate a soft copy of the manual. Full synthetic will not really add any performance benefits to a low revving RE, but I like to think of it as buying insurance for my bike's engine and change the oil at every 4k or 1 year interval anyway.

5)I got a bonus upgrade in power when I moved from high altitude Bangalore to to lower altitude plains of Delhi last year and it's great fun riding a RE here, compared to Bangalore. This year I plan to add an aftermarket ECU from Race Dynamics, to get a few additional BHP. Just waiting for Race Dynamics to replenish their stocks.

You are more than welcome to test ride my Bull, since you are in Delhi, or if you need any further info on the topic!
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Fellow TBHPians,

I own a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500.

3. Switch to Synthetic oil from mineral oil?

Thanks
U Kalia
Kalia,

Whilst there are contrasting opinions on Synthetic vs mineral oil, just called up Teknik motors head to inquire. He says it would suffice to use 'natural' mineral oil or semi synthetic one, and synthetic is not really necessary, and not recommended if bike is going to be sparingly used, which seems to be your case. The recommended oil as per manual is Royal Enfield 15W50 API SL JASO MA - which he said is semi synthetic. Below link explains all variants and acronyms used.

http://bikeadvice.in/engine-oils/

As for exhaust, RRP is supposedly good, with good reviews. I changed to Thumper from Indimotard last month and am very happy with it. Its smaller in length, helps in Bangalore bumper-bumper traffic with everyone hitting the motorcycle from behind. the original exhaust was 'graced' by many.

Costs Rs. 3500 for megaphone variant and Rs. 3750 for normal Thumper.
vrajaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 17:11   #37
BHPian

Mod note: Post Edited. Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead and avoid Quoting entire large posts for short replies since it affects readability especially in mobile devices.Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajaram View Post
Kalia,

Whilst there are contrasting opinions on Synthetic vs mineral oil, just called up Teknik motors head to inquire. He says it would suffice to use 'natural' mineral oil or semi synthetic one, and synthetic is not really necessary, and not recommended if bike is going to be sparingly used, which seems to be your case.
==============
Costs Rs. 3500 for megaphone variant and Rs. 3750 for normal Thumper.

Thanks a lot vrajaram for the detailed reply. However one of the reason for considering synthetic oil is -- I have to often travel for business trips and during this period bike is not used and am not able to stick to RE advised 3 months service interval. I have heard that mineral oil oxidises with time whereas synthetic oil does not oxidise with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
I own a 2011 RE Classic 500.
================
You are more than welcome to test ride my Bull, since you are in Delhi, or if you need any further info on the topic!

Thanks outfox for detailed reply. Unfortunately RD has not launched performance box for Thunderbird 500 yet. I will PM you for your contact details to have a look at your bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
you can go in for a RD power box. that coupled with K&N and a wild boar exhaust should bump power and torque significantly. Mod mobike008 had it on his 500 classic. Pls check his thread.

Thanks himanshugoswami.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd February 2015 at 18:03. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2015, 19:21   #38
BHPian

Re: Modifications - Royal Enfield Thunderbird

There should be negligible difference in the power if you do decide to do any of the above mentioned mods.

I'm really not sure about how much of a bump in power does a free flow exhaust provide for Enfields.Sure there are a lotta manufacturers giving dyno charts and such, I feel that most of the difference felt is the effect of the mind.

Louder=More powerful mentality.

K and N, once again doesn't really help our motorcycles.

Technically an ecu remap would be required for the efi upon making it free flow.However I doubt anyone does it.

Regarding the RD box, I've read mixed reviews on it.

My advise would be to first ride it extensively, rack up the kilometers and get a real feel of the bike.

Regards

BOV
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 15:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot vrajaram for the detailed reply. However one of the reason for considering synthetic oil is -- I have to often travel for business trips and during this period bike is not used and am not able to stick to RE advised 3 months service interval. I have heard that mineral oil oxidises with time whereas synthetic oil does not oxidise with time.
Kalia - What you heard about synthetic is not true. Oxidisation will happen with time for every oil, its the rate that varies. That said, there are definitely more known positives to synthetic oil over mineral oil, but it actually boils down to whether the individual actually needs it.

Couple of related articles.
http://www.inoanorton.com/docs/OilTemp.pdf

http://www.shell.com/global/products...extwithimage_6
vrajaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 22:37   #40
BHPian

Hi all,
Reviving an old thread. Which is good replacement shock absorbers for rear for TBTS? I saw one with Continental GT shocks. I guess they are of Paoli make. Any other option which is tried and tested? The stock ones are too soft at the least loaded position but too hard in the very next pre-loaded position.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 09:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Which is good replacement shock absorbers for rear for TBTS? I saw one with Continental GT shocks. I guess they are of Paoli make. Any other option which is tried and tested? The stock ones are too soft at the least loaded position but too hard in the very next pre-loaded position.
Have a look at this post from xBhp, the one with Karizma shocks

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcyc...ml#post1130553

Last edited by manson : 31st March 2017 at 20:27. Reason: Typo.
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 19:41   #42
BHPian

Has anyone here has done this mod? Any usage feedback?
Old 30th March 2017, 21:50   #43
BHPian

Modifications - Royal Enfield Thunderbird

Amongst all enfields Thunderbird rear seat comfort is the least. Not only is the seat small and with less cushion the rear shock absorbers send every minute undulations straight to the pillions back. Would like to know how does having a karizma shock absorbers change the comfort of the pillion and also Thunderbird is almost 50 kgs heavier than karizma correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited by Vikvkv : 30th March 2017 at 21:52.
Vikvkv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 19:02   #44
BHPian

Has anyone removed the headlight mounting bracket for their TBTS? I am planning to fix headlights in a different manner and want to remove the stock bracket or replace the fork tube with one which does not have the bracket. Any thoughts, feedback or inputs are welcome. I reside in Bengaluru. Any pointers where I can get the replacement would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st May 2017, 05:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Has anyone removed the headlight mounting bracket for their TBTS? I am planning to fix headlights in a different manner and want to remove the stock bracket or replace the fork tube with one which does not have the bracket. Any thoughts, feedback or inputs are welcome. I reside in Bengaluru. Any pointers where I can get the replacement would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
It's fairly easy to do so. Any local Enfield repair shop can do this easily. Depending on what type of light you want to install, sometimes you may have to customize the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Modifications - Royal Enfield Thunderbird-77908e9c3e3a4aa6b418bc6b842280f8.jpg  

Rathore_13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed